News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mrose on March 15, 2021, 10:24:49 AM
I don't necessarily know if it would or wouldn't.... was just thinking about loud about where another freeway south of the beltline might have gone.

Gotcha.  Yeah I grew up in Fitchburg in the 70s and 80s and M was out in the middle of nowhere then.  Now...not so much.

skluth

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 15, 2021, 11:29:00 AM
Quote from: mrose on March 15, 2021, 10:24:49 AM
I don't necessarily know if it would or wouldn't.... was just thinking about loud about where another freeway south of the beltline might have gone.

Gotcha.  Yeah I grew up in Fitchburg in the 70s and 80s and M was out in the middle of nowhere then.  Now...not so much.

Ain't it the truth. I lived in Madison in the late 70's. One of my favorite morning bicycle trips was from my apartment on the isthmus to the Arboretum, then take Seminole Drive and CTH PB to Paoli. (I know there's some missing roads, but these were the important ones.) I'd usually continue south on CTH PB until it ended near Belleville, then turn around and ride home. Sometimes I'd stop in Paoli for a bite, but I was usually broke back then so I'd bring my own lunch and picnic instead. It was all rural once you got about a half mile south of the Beltline.

triplemultiplex

County M's future is probably some sort of multi-lane arterial between Verona and Oregon that follows development.  It's already the posted alternate for US 18/151 from before, during and after the recent Verona Road project.   In my opinion, it's probably worth a future promotion to a state highway (extend WI 138 west?)
But that will all be in service of the immediate development of that area, not so much as an alternate to the Beltline.

Most Beltline traffic has an origin and/or destination that is close enough to the Beltline that there is no alternative; very little of it is 'thru' traffic trying to push on toward Dubuque or Baraboo.  So one is stuck trying to improve the existing corridor by braiding some interchange ramps or beefing up local, parallel streets.

Meanwhile, the Flex Lane project is moving right along.  The travel lanes have been shunted over a few feet for most of the project length already to give crews space to rework that median.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Dougtone

Take a Wisconsibly scenic drive down WIS 42 in northeastern Wisconsin. Plenty to see and do along the way in Kewaunee and Manitowoc Counties. Come join us for a virtual drive.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/03/wisconsin-state-trunk-highway-42-in.html

GeekJedi

The BGS's on I-94 around County Stad...no...Miller Pa...no...American Family Field have now been updated. Miller Park Way has been replaced with Brewers Blvd.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Dougtone on March 20, 2021, 11:43:31 PM
Take a Wisconsibly scenic drive down WIS 42 in northeastern Wisconsin. Plenty to see and do along the way in Kewaunee and Manitowoc Counties. Come join us for a virtual drive.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/03/wisconsin-state-trunk-highway-42-in.html

Prior to the WI-57 upgrades between Green Bay and Sturgeon Bay, taking I-43 and WI-42 up to Door County from Milwaukee was the preferred route - or at least it wasn't significantly longer.  Much more scenic too.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: GeekJedi on April 04, 2021, 09:50:16 PM
The BGS's on I-94 around County Stad...no...Miller Pa...no...American Family Field have now been updated. Miller Park Way has been replaced with Brewers Blvd.

Lol.  I love that they gave up trying to keep up with the corporate ballpark names and just went with the team name when naming the road.  No need to give those corporate sponsors more than their money's worth.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

SEWIGuy

The Milwaukee Brewers are a for-profit corporation as well.

skluth

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 05, 2021, 01:19:30 PM
The Milwaukee Brewers are a for-profit corporation as well.

True. But the Brewers are unlikely to change their name unless they move while sponsors come and go depending on their fortunes. I was living in St Louis as the Kiel Center became the Savvis Center, then Scottrade Center, and now the Enterprise Center. It's still home of the Blues.

SEWIGuy

I would have preferred something like Henry Aaron Way...or Robin Yount...or something like that.  I was being someone sarcastic, but the Brewers may not be in Milwaukee forever.  And their next stadium may be located somewhere else entirely.

JoePCool14

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 05, 2021, 05:02:37 PM
I would have preferred something like Henry Aaron Way...or Robin Yount...or something like that.  I was being someone sarcastic, but the Brewers may not be in Milwaukee forever.  And their next stadium may be located somewhere else entirely.

It's good enough. Even if the Brewers relocated I still feel like the name would be halfway appropriate in Milwaukee.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

The Ghostbuster

Miller Park is now called American Family Field? This is the first I've heard of that, and I'm a native Wisconsinite. I still like my idea of naming the former Miller Parkway south of Interstate 94 the Stadium Parkway, instead of the chosen Brewers Boulevard designation, but then again, I'm not in charge of name changes.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 05, 2021, 08:46:51 PM
Miller Park is now called American Family Field? This is the first I've heard of that, and I'm a native Wisconsinite. I still like my idea of naming the former Miller Parkway south of Interstate 94 the Stadium Parkway, instead of the chosen Brewers Boulevard designation, but then again, I'm not in charge of name changes.

It was announced over a year ago.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 05, 2021, 10:05:11 PM

Good thing for you is many still call it Miller Park in defiance.

As many teams in many sports have no issue changing name of where they play, and the increasing frequency of changes......ballpark/stadium/arena etc names unless an iconic one(like Fenway or Wrigley) don't mean much anymore as a fan.........now if it was Lambeau Field being rebranded to a different name that may be a special level of defiance coming
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

thspfc

Quote from: gr8daynegb on April 07, 2021, 05:23:11 PM

As many teams in many sports have no issue changing name of where they play, and the increasing frequency of changes......ballpark/stadium/arena etc names unless an iconic one(like Fenway or Wrigley) don't mean much anymore as a fan.........now if it was Lambeau Field being rebranded to a different name that may be a special level of defiance coming
The name change is dumb, but let's be honest, nobody is going to care in five years.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: thspfc on April 07, 2021, 05:28:49 PM

The name change is dumb, but let's be honest, nobody is going to care in five years.

Agreed, and American Family has been associated with the Brewers for years.  So still very local compared to many other placed outside of Wisconsin

SEWIGuy

I guess I don't see much to be defiant about.  They lost a naming sponsor...and gained another.

But you are correct.  If they renamed Lambeau or Camp Randall, people would defiantly never refer to them by any other name.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 08, 2021, 09:33:06 AM

I guess I don't see much to be defiant about.  They lost a naming sponsor...and gained another.

But you are correct.  If they renamed Lambeau or Camp Randall, people would defiantly never refer to them by any other name.

And as quoted from a previous post American Family insurance has a history with the Brewers.  Think Miller Park had to at least keep the name for another 20 years before people maybe would consider nostalgic to avoid name changes.  I would add Kohl Center/UW Fieldhouse to list of sports venues in Wisconsin that would get serious resistance if name change proposal came through.

Big John

The Ghostbuster

Again? At this rate, Interstate 94 between 70th St. and 16th St. will never be reconstructed.

JREwing78

Quote from: Big John on April 15, 2021, 06:29:30 PM
I-94 project in Milwaukee put on hold: https://www.wpr.org/i-94-expansion-put-hold-department-transportation-opts-more-research

If WisDOT kicked in $50-100 million towards Bus Rapid Transit or some other substantial transit improvement in Milwaukee, it would be cheaper then continuing to battle the city over getting this rebuild done. Every kick of the can down the road drives the cost up.

There's no way only 3 lanes each way are going to cut it, but the legislature's middle finger towards Milwaukee in general means there's little willingness to cooperate on a project they weren't that crazy about to begin with.

SEWIGuy

From the city's point of view, I understand it.  This project doesn't benefit them very much.

mgk920

In another local Milwaukee development forvm that I follow, the anti-car/road crowd in it is doing a collective Kabuki dance over that news.

Mike

The Ghostbuster

I am well aware of the Milwaukee's long-time opposition to expanding their freeways within their city limits. However, I think this is one case where expansion is warranted. Maybe the DOT should do what they did with the Zoo Interchange Reconstruction: keep the freeway 6 lanes, but build extra-wide shoulders to accommodate a fourth lane in the future. This segment of Interstate 94 needs to be reconstructed sooner rather than later, given the roadway first opened 60 years ago.

thspfc

With the Marquette Interchange, Mitchell Interchange, Zoo Interchange, and I-894 all recently done, the only major projects that remain undone in southeast WI are I-43 north of downtown and I-94 between 70th and 16th. A rebuild of the Stadium Interchange, which is needed, would cover a pretty sizeable chunk of the latter, when you consider the approaches to the new interchange on both sides.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.