News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emory

Quote from: Charles2 on January 19, 2014, 10:48:05 PM
Actually, US 78 is fairly redundant from Birmingham to Atlanta as well.  As much as I hate to see US routes that have been supplanted by interstate highways truncated, I doubt anyone would miss US 78 from Memphis to Atlanta.

Hey, out here in California, almost all of our US routes got truncated and most got deleted. I understand why it was done though. I've grown to dislike these Interstate/US route cosigns that exist across the country. It's like, what's the point? "Hey everybody! The 23 freeway will now be known as I-985!....but it'll still be called the 23! Not confusing, right?!"

codyg1985

ALDOT did jump the gun in signing I-22 as I don't think it was yet approved by FHWA to do so.

I do wonder what will happen to US 78. An even more interesting question is what will happen to Alt US 78? It appears on the official Alabama map, yet it is not signed anywhere. The only time a portion of it was signed was briefly in 2001 on "old" US 78 after a section of Future I-22 opened between Jasper and Carbon Hill, before the designation was official. 
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Tourian

I dont know why but there is just something cool about an "Old XX". Id much rather see that than a cosigned route.

US 41

I think it should just stay US 78 and not be renamed I-22. There really is no reason to change it to an interstate designation. People will still travel the route even if it's not an interstate. It will also save the taxpayers of AL and MS a little money. (I know, Im boring.)
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

emory

Quote from: Tourian on January 21, 2014, 09:57:04 AM
I dont know why but there is just something cool about an "Old XX". Id much rather see that than a cosigned route.

Here in California, since we lost so many US routes, a lot of the cities like to put up "Historic Route US XXX" brown shields. http://instagram.com/p/d-o2ffNIoi/

SSF

driving back to Atlanta from Memphis and they were setting the last beams over the C/D lanes on the westbound side of future I-22.  maybe next week, they will start setting forms for deck pours. 

Urban Prairie Schooner

I see no reason to keep US 78 between B'ham and Memphis once I-22 is fully completed and signed, unless ALDOT and MsDOT wish to return it to its original surface route (which, as has been mentioned, is unlikely to happen and contradicts AASHTO policy anyway).

In fact, I see no reason why the two states plus TN couldn't sign all completed segments solely as I-22 once the substandard segments in MS are brought up to Interstate standard, with the US 78 surface connections on either end signed as TEMP I-22 until the connections to the rest of the Interstate system are completed. This was the practice historically in some states.

With US 78 truncated to B'ham, it would be hard to justify retaining it between B'ham and Atlanta as well. But that's another kettle of worms and something that the good folks in AL and GA would have to decide.

codyg1985

An upcoming repaving project on Future I-22/US 78 around Jasper, AL (plans can be found here) will require the closure of portions of the road since the cross-slopes and elevations of the roadway will need to be adjusted. The planned detour signs include signing I-22, US 78, and AL 4.

Cody Goodman

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 07, 2014, 07:45:40 AMsince the cross-slopes and elevations of the roadway will need to be adjusted.

Why?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on February 07, 2014, 01:33:24 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on February 07, 2014, 07:45:40 AMsince the cross-slopes and elevations of the roadway will need to be adjusted.

Why?

I'm not sure why the cross-slopes are being adjusted other than maybe to improve drainage off the roadway, but I know that along this stretch there is quite a noticeable drop off as you come off of bridges, and a lift up before the bridges. The plans call for smoothing those out, and raising the elevation of the roadway in places to compensate for that drop off.
Cody Goodman

Henry

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on January 25, 2014, 07:34:56 PM
I see no reason to keep US 78 between B'ham and Memphis once I-22 is fully completed and signed, unless ALDOT and MsDOT wish to return it to its original surface route (which, as has been mentioned, is unlikely to happen and contradicts AASHTO policy anyway).

In fact, I see no reason why the two states plus TN couldn't sign all completed segments solely as I-22 once the substandard segments in MS are brought up to Interstate standard, with the US 78 surface connections on either end signed as TEMP I-22 until the connections to the rest of the Interstate system are completed. This was the practice historically in some states.

With US 78 truncated to B'ham, it would be hard to justify retaining it between B'ham and Atlanta as well. But that's another kettle of worms and something that the good folks in AL and GA would have to decide.
I think US 78 will continue to exist in Memphis if I-22 doesn't make it up Lamar Avenue as most have suspected. Truncating it to Birmingham may be bad as it is, but a truncation to Atlanta is asking way too much.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

lordsutch

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 07, 2014, 01:56:35 PM
I'm not sure why the cross-slopes are being adjusted other than maybe to improve drainage off the roadway, but I know that along this stretch there is quite a noticeable drop off as you come off of bridges, and a lift up before the bridges. The plans call for smoothing those out, and raising the elevation of the roadway in places to compensate for that drop off.

It's possible this section's original paving was screwed up by the contractor because it was originally built with metric plans (it originally had metric signage).

Having said that the worst existing pavement is really on the section between 118 west and 118 east; I'm surprised they're replacing this section's pavement first, although the bridge transitions are a little bumpy.

bdmoss88

So they're shutting down the whole thing and sending the traffic through town? Why wouldn't they shift all traffic to one side to work on the other then switch sides when done with the first?

codyg1985

Quote from: bdmoss88 on February 09, 2014, 08:33:37 PM
So they're shutting down the whole thing and sending the traffic through town? Why wouldn't they shift all traffic to one side to work on the other then switch sides when done with the first?

They are shutting down only one side at at time while traffic would flow freely on the other side, similar to what has been doing in Birmingham with a few rebuild projects.

The same ALDOT Division (3rd Division) also has done projects where they have shut down portions of interstates in Birmingham to rebuild those (I-20/59 in Bessemer and I-20 between I-59 and I-459 in Irondale), but in those cases, there was an alternative interstate route to take (I-459/65 for the former and I-59/459 for the latter). In this case, there isn't an interstate alternative, so they are dumping traffic onto the former US 78 alignment through Jasper, which is going to cause some headaches. When I-65 pavement was rehabilitated between US 31 and south of I-459 in Hoover, no interstate alternative was available, so traffic was reduced from six lanes to four lanes and shifted to one side while the other was worked on.

When I-59 was rebuilt with a unbonded concrete overlay in Etowah County northeast of Gadsden, ALDOT 1st Division put traffic on one side while the other was rebuilt. Granted, traffic on that segment of I-59 is probably a bit heaver than what is on I-22 around Jasper, but I still wonder why they didn't include building crossovers and having a two-lane setup on each side while the other side was being worked on.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Quote from: lordsutch on February 08, 2014, 11:52:39 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on February 07, 2014, 01:56:35 PM

It's possible this section's original paving was screwed up by the contractor because it was originally built with metric plans (it originally had metric signage).

Having said that the worst existing pavement is really on the section between 118 west and 118 east; I'm surprised they're replacing this section's pavement first, although the bridge transitions are a little bumpy.

ALDOT did some patching between the two AL 118 exits between Jasper and Carbon Hill a few years ago, but this section is also showing some pretty bad wear too, and it supposed to be repaved soon as well. In some places you can even see the layer below and the yellow stripe where the transition between the freeway and old US 78. The other part that is in quite bad shape is between AL 269 and Industrial Pkwy. The rest of it seems to have held up well, but it also wasn't paved with a open-graded friction course wearing layer, which may have something to do with it holding up so well.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

I drove on I-22 between Memphis and Jasper yesterday, and here are some noteworthy things:

- Work is progressing on the I-269 interchange. All bridge beams on all four I-269 bridges (mainline and C/D roads) are in place. There is still quite a bit of grading work to do, however.
- The new VMS appears along eastbound Future I-22 AFTER the I-269 interchange but before the MS 309/ Byhaila interchange, which I found odd. Similarly, the westbound VMS appears before the MS 309 interchange as well.
- The New Albany median/bridge widening project is mostly finished. All lanes are opened, and there seems to be a few punchlist items left to do before this is complete. This will mostly bring all of Future I-22 up to interstate standards in Mississippi.
- Still no I-22 shields in Mississippi.
- Shields have now been posted along the intersecting roads at some exits in Marion County to complement the US 78 and AL 4 shields.
- What appears to be a maintenance contract must have been let to resurface I-22 between AL 233 and the Marion/Walker County line (I didn't see it appear in any of the lettings recently). This section was originally open to traffic in 2006, but the pavement had already deteriorated. The original paving contract for this section was between AL 13 and AL 233, which was mostly in Marion County, but a bit of it was in Walker County. The Walker County portion wasn't resurfaced, and the roughness of the pavement is apparent when you cross the county line. It is like a cheese grater.
Cody Goodman

rcm195

I may be wrong about this, if so I'll stand corrected, but I think the reason I-22 was originally paved from 233 to 13 was to allow for a temp exit point at which through traffic would be funneled back to old 78 at Eldridge. But the contractor was so close to finishing I-22 all the way to and through Carbon Hill, ALDOT never did that. And Marion and Walker counties are in different districts.

Just wondering, what exits in Marion county have the I-22 shields up? Thanks!

codyg1985

Quote from: rcm195 on February 24, 2014, 04:02:34 PM
I may be wrong about this, if so I'll stand corrected, but I think the reason I-22 was originally paved from 233 to 13 was to allow for a temp exit point at which through traffic would be funneled back to old 78 at Eldridge. But the contractor was so close to finishing I-22 all the way to and through Carbon Hill, ALDOT never did that. And Marion and Walker counties are in different districts.

You are correct. The 118/13 intersection was outfitted at first with a traffic signal with turn lanes at each approach for this reason, but it was later converted to a four-way stop. It was originally a two-way stop with 78 traffic not having to stop. A lot of wrecks occurred at this intersection. The same thought also went into widening/improving AL 233 and putting a traffic signal there, but traffic was never turned onto just that portion, either.

Quote from: rcm195 on February 24, 2014, 04:02:34 PM
Just wondering, what exits in Marion county have the I-22 shields up? Thanks!

I saw them at Exits 30 and 33, but they could be at others as well.
Cody Goodman

formulanone

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 24, 2014, 02:15:29 PMThe Walker County portion wasn't resurfaced, and the roughness of the pavement is apparent when you cross the county line. It is like a cheese grater.

Just drove on it from AL 233 to Coalburg Road, and I can attest that Walker County's part is quite rough...it's patched in some places, but there's loads of loose gravel visible on the various concrete bridge shoulders.

Seems the I-22 shields disappear where US 78 drops off, and then it's the blue Corridor X US78 / AL4 combo. Or 22 and 4. Or just a US 78-X shield...Just to keep it weird.

Rover_0

Quote from: formulanone on February 24, 2014, 11:37:14 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on February 24, 2014, 02:15:29 PMThe Walker County portion wasn't resurfaced, and the roughness of the pavement is apparent when you cross the county line. It is like a cheese grater.

Just drove on it from AL 233 to Coalburg Road, and I can attest that Walker County's part is quite rough...it's patched in some places, but there's loads of loose gravel visible on the various concrete bridge shoulders.

Seems the I-22 shields disappear where US 78 drops off, and then it's the blue Corridor X US78 / AL4 combo. Or 22 and 4. Or just a US 78-X shield...Just to keep it weird.

I-22 and AL-4 Shields, but no US-78? Odd.

#1: Quote at the BOTTOM. NOT in the middle.
#2: Please snip unnecessary images. Especially when you have so many of them.
~S
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

codyg1985

Quote from: formulanone on February 24, 2014, 11:37:14 PM

The ALDOT Jasper District that maintains the Walker County portion of I-22 (and the Jefferson County portion up to Hillcrest Road) was probably like "Replace all US 78 shields with I-22 shields" and left everything else as-is, which would explain why there are still some AL 4 shields left. I don't know if or when the AL 4 shields will be replaced.

Once you pass Hillcrest Road and you pass into the ALDOT Birmingham District, no I-22 shields have been put up (as you show in your sixth photo).

I honestly don't know what will happen to US 78. It may not be signed at all between the Walker/Marion County Line and Graysville when it is all said and done. The old route is technically Alternate US 78, but you won't find a sign for that anywhere.
Cody Goodman

Charles2

Photos from al.com showing construction progress on the I-22/I-65 interchange:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2014/02/i-22_interchange_construction_1.html#incart_2box

Quite frankly, it's hard to see a lot of progress from one batch of photos to the next.  I drove out there Sunday afternoon, and like I've said before, it looks like they have miles to go before they sleep.  The projected opening date is still this October.  If I were a betting man, I'd say there's not a chance that they can complete everything in 7-1/2 months.

codyg1985

I guess the contractor is hoping for good weather in the summer to catch up. I also don't think they will be done in October. They still have to shift the lanes over to the carriageways being built now so the existing lanes can be rebuilt, which includes two new bridges that will carry those lanes over the future I-22 stub that will eventually go to US 31. They still have at least one smaller flyover where they have not put in beams yet (EB I-22 to SB I-65), but at least most of the really heavy beams won't be left when traffic shifts since the only ones left will hopefully be the ones that go over where I-65 traffic currently flows.  I say it will be sometime in summer or fall 2015 when they finish.

Plus, they also need to let the separate contract to pave, stripe, and sign I-22 from Coalburg Rd to I-65, which I think is supposed to happen this spring or summer, before I-22 can even open at I-65. EDIT: This document says that ALDOT should let that project on May 30th.
Cody Goodman

mwb1848

It's interesting that AL.com committed the state of Tennessee to extending I-22 to I-40 and/or I-240 in Memphis.

Charles2

Quote from: mwb1848 on February 27, 2014, 09:52:11 AM
It's interesting that AL.com committed the state of Tennessee to extending I-22 to I-40 and/or I-240 in Memphis.

I think what they meant is the Memphis metro area.  I'm sure that many people are aware that as of right now I-22 will end in DeSoto County, Mississippi. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.