News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ding, dong, the CRC is dead

Started by Tarkus, July 01, 2013, 06:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: andy3175 on January 08, 2015, 12:25:34 AM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on January 07, 2015, 10:18:04 AM
It's really sad this can't get done.  I drove across in both directions this past summer, and it could really use an upgrade.  The approaches to it from both sides give you very little room to accelerate and merge (I'd gotten onto I-5 NB from Exit 308 after stopping at a Starbucks.  It was a curved, short ramp that ended right before the start of the bridge), and it's narrow, especially with the truck traffic.

Given that I-5 is the artery of the entire west coast, having this proverbial clogged artery in Portland isn't helping anyone, if anything it's creating more problems.

Portland's mentality seems to be "oh, this will just get more people onto bikes or mass transit."

Or it may be ... "just take I-205 to the east of Portland. It's actually faster!"

Sure, but it would be nice if the I-5 bridge didn't fall down in the next earthquake.  I can't believe they just gave up completely.

Bickendan

The failure to take the Coast Guard and the clearances needed didn't help at all.
I've the impression that part of the reason Washington nuked their support had something to do with MAX, annoyingly.

myosh_tino

It's really sad this can't get done.  I drove across in both directions this past summer, and it could really use an upgrade.  The approaches to it from both sides give you very little room to accelerate and merge (I'd gotten onto I-5 NB from Exit 308 after stopping at a Starbucks.  It was a curved, short ramp that ended right before the start of the bridge), and it's narrow, especially with the truck traffic.

Given that I-5 is the artery of the entire west coast, having this proverbial clogged artery in Portland isn't helping anyone, if anything it's creating more problems.

Portland's mentality seems to be "oh, this will just get more people onto bikes or mass transit."

Or it may be ... "just take I-205 to the east of Portland. It's actually faster!"

Which is why I'm in favor of routing I-5 onto I-205 and let the city of Portland do whatever the hell they want with the existing I-5 freeway and the bridge.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

tdindy88

Which would probably be converting the entire highway into a four lane boulevard with sidewalks and bike lanes....and maybe a light rail line (south of downtown at least.) :)

KEK Inc.

Quote from: myosh_tino on January 08, 2015, 03:16:50 PM

Which is why I'm in favor of routing I-5 onto I-205 and let the city of Portland do whatever the hell they want with the existing I-5 freeway and the bridge.

Seems like an easy fix, but economically unwise as it bypasses two major city centers in the region.
Take the road less traveled.

Kniwt

Quote from: andy3175 on January 08, 2015, 03:16:50 PM

There is, at least, the big diagrammatic that says "either 5 or 205 is fine with us":
http://goo.gl/maps/rnOs2

KEK Inc.

Quote from: Kniwt on January 10, 2015, 12:58:41 AM
Quote from: andy3175 on January 08, 2015, 03:16:50 PM

There is, at least, the big diagrammatic that says "either 5 or 205 is fine with us":
http://goo.gl/maps/rnOs2

Contrastly, here's the other side.  I guess it informs drivers how the split is, but it's a pretty big waste of metal.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.740952,-122.659845,3a,41.8y,166.38h,91.53t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sh4g72pAlHzCiG8WufWgK_g!2e0
Take the road less traveled.

Sub-Urbanite

Before I lived 3 blocks from I-205, I was a fan of that sign — really helped demonstrate that either freeway worked for through traffic.

I'm less of a fan now that I have to listen to the traffic at night...

nexus73

Speaking of PDX freeways, here is an article loaded with lots of pix showing how the Rose City's freeway network developed.

http://www.oregonlive.com/history/2015/01/throwback_thursday_portland_fr.html

There is also a map showing the original idea for how to lay out a freeway system there.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bickendan

That map sucks. I have a much better one hosted I'll link to when I get home. It's CRAG's official map from 1970 projected for 1990.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.