News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Orange Pavement Markings?

Started by DaBigE, December 01, 2014, 04:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigE

QuoteOrange lane markings to be used in Zoo Interchange

Improved visibility is goal of orange lane marking test project

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) will apply orange reflective epoxy paint within a I-94 westbound work zone just west of the Zoo Interchange (Zoo IC) Tuesday night and Wednesday night, weather permitting. The traditional white and yellow lane and edge markings will be replaced with an approved orange paint which is being tested in the Zoo IC with the goal to provide more clearly defined lanes in the construction zone. Last year motorists at times experienced difficult conditions in winter work zones as salt residue on the roadway surface left the traditional white lane markings very challenging to pick out.

Orange reflective epoxy paint has been used in Canada, New Zealand and in Europe but not previously in the U.S. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has granted the Zoo IC team the permission to use the orange paint in test areas in at least three separate locations along I-94 both east and west of the actual Zoo IC. WisDOT will track the performance of the paint under diverse weather and time of day conditions and will also be monitoring the reaction of motorists to the orange lane markings. A survey will follow after the lane markings have been in place to gather further reaction and opinions from motorists using this portion of the freeway system.

source: WisDOT News Release
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Brandon

Ontario uses them for construction zones.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cl94

Quote from: Brandon on December 01, 2014, 04:36:33 PM
Ontario uses them for construction zones.

Yes. I think it's pretty useful. Highlights that the markings are temporary. IMO, the US as a whole should adopt orange for construction zones. Make sure people know they're in an active work zone by changing the lane markings.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

CtrlAltDel

I don't like that both the yellow and white lines change to orange. I drove through a zone like that in Canada, and the absence of that yellow line on my left assuring me I was going in the right direction was really disconcerting, far more than I would have thought beforehand.

That said, I like the idea of specific temporary markings, but something should be done to distinguish the white from the yellow. What, though, I have to admit I don't know.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

cl94

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 01, 2014, 06:06:18 PM
I don't like that both the yellow and white lines change to orange. I drove through a zone like that in Canada, and the absence of that yellow line on my left assuring me I was going in the right direction was really disconcerting, far more than I would have thought beforehand.

That said, I like the idea of specific temporary markings, but something should be done to distinguish the white from the yellow. What, though, I have to admit I don't know.

Remember that the yellow-white system is only common in the western hemisphere (minus Chile). Rest of the world uses white for almost everything, with Norway being a notable exception. They seem to be fine.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

AsphaltPlanet

For a while in Ontario, the MTO seemed to have some reluctance in using orange on roads with opposing traffic flow, but orange line paint has become increasingly common in those situations as well.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

riiga

Quote from: cl94 on December 01, 2014, 06:41:41 PM
Remember that the yellow-white system is only common in the western hemisphere (minus Chile). Rest of the world uses white for almost everything, with Norway being a notable exception. They seem to be fine.
Indeed, here white is used for all markings, except construction/temporary markings which are yellow. I've never once felt uncertain if I'm going in the right direction.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: cl94 on December 01, 2014, 06:41:41 PM

True. But, here, it's the standard, and I, for one, rely on it quite a bit. And overall, I think the loss of information that comes from only uses orange lines is something to be avoided.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

1995hoo

We very briefly discussed this as to Ontario a few years ago. I liked the idea then and still do.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7496.msg168691#msg168691
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 01, 2014, 07:09:10 PM
We very briefly discussed this as to Ontario a few years ago. I liked the idea then and still do.

Don't get me wrong. I like the idea too. I just think something needs to be done to distinguish the yellow from white. Having tossed the idea over in my head over the past little bit, I think doubling the left-side line would be a good way to keep things distinct, while keeping the temporary lines orange.

renegade

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 01, 2014, 09:10:55 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 01, 2014, 07:09:10 PM

Don't get me wrong. I like the idea too. I just think something needs to be done to distinguish the yellow from white. Having tossed the idea over in my head over the past little bit, I think doubling the left-side line would be a good way to keep things distinct, while keeping the temporary lines orange.

Okay.  How about double orange on the left and single on the right?  Seems to me that would work.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

jeffandnicole

If it's a temporary zone, I don't see what the big deal would be either about using all orange lines.  In most cases, it's very apparent which lane is for which direction of travel.  Personally, I think it's sometimes confusing when multiple lanes are marked by solid white lines - is the lane to the right a shoulder lane not to be driven in or a temporary lane for travel?

1995hoo

What I hate is when they rip up the old lane markings, put down either new or temporary ones, and fail to clean up the ruts in the pavement left by the old markings. At night, and especially at night in the rain, it can be quite difficult to distinguish the ruts from the actual markings. I have no idea whether the orange markings help with that because I haven't seen them in person.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 02, 2014, 08:52:12 AM
What I hate is when they rip up the old lane markings, put down either new or temporary ones, and fail to clean up the ruts in the pavement left by the old markings. At night, and especially at night in the rain, it can be quite difficult to distinguish the ruts from the actual markings. I have no idea whether the orange markings help with that because I haven't seen them in person.

That 295/42/76 project near me?  They've actually repaved I-76 twice since that project began (in less than a year's time): The first time because they eliminated the express/local lane structure and new lines wouldn't match up with the old lines, and then again after they were done with lane shifts and divisions.  It was probably a good million dollars eaten up each time to repave a mile or so of roadway in each direction, but it definitely eliminates the old markings & ruts!

codyg1985

If on a divided road, I think this is a great idea. For two lane roads, I think it could get confusing.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

freebrickproductions

How about using yellow for the center markings but using orange for the white markings? that'd help distinguish which one is right and which one is left.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

AsphaltPlanet

Ontario has used orange line paint on construction projects for about a decade now, give or take.  If the practice was confusing people and either causing additional collisions within their vicinity or reducing the throughput through a construction zone, it would stand to reason that the MTO would have discontinued, or at the very least, altered how it uses orange striping through a construction zone.

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Dr Frankenstein

Québec has been experimenting with it for a while.

IMG_6363 par Dr Frankenstein, sur Flickr

I also don't like that both yellow and white turn to orange; I'd rather have the yellow lines stay as-is.

AsphaltPlanet

This is A-20 on the South Shore by the A-25 interchange right?  This is the only location I think I've ever seen MTQ use orange on its network.

SSOWorld

In the following album - of sections of the Zoo Interchange in Milwaukee, WisDOT had contractors use (first) yellow, then orange lines. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ssoworld/sets/72157654780524576/

Both are hideous - They're attempting to make roads more visible during the winter months - but it just looks gawd-awful fugly

WisDOT's explanation
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SignGeek101

Ontario has been doing this for years. I like it actually.

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on May 31, 2015, 04:29:28 PM
Some pictures of the 417 construction related to the LRT construction in eastern Ottawa:

Easterly view from the Belfast Road overpass

Easterly view along the 417 towards the new pedestrian overpass from the Vanier Parkway overpass

Westerly view towards the Rideau River bridge from the Vanier Parkway overpass

jakeroot

Fuck winter visibility -- they are far better at helping drivers realize they're in construction zones than anything else.

briantroutman

Quote from: WisDOTLast year motorists at times experienced difficult conditions in winter work zones as salt residue on the roadway surface left the traditional white lane markings very challenging to visually pick out.

How is that any different in a construction zone than any other area in winter?

SignGeek101

Quote from: briantroutman on June 21, 2015, 12:09:46 AM
Quote from: WisDOTLast year motorists at times experienced difficult conditions in winter work zones as salt residue on the roadway surface left the traditional white lane markings very challenging to visually pick out.

How is that any different in a construction zone than any other area in winter?

I'm thinking perhaps it has to do with the lanes being moved over temporarily during construction sometimes. Refer to the images I posted above.

DaBigE

Previous discussion: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14127.msg2024483#msg2024483

I just drove through that experiment Saturday (looks like Scott and I may have just missed each other driving the 94 corridor). :wave:  Its second (third?) paint iteration looks as ugly as when I first saw it this past winter. They are having a horrible time keeping the orange colorfast, as it's mostly looking yellow now. However, one section (maybe just re-done?) was such a deep orange, it almost looked red.

And as Scott's second link points out, it's to make the construction zone stand out more overall, not just for the winter months. (As if all the orange barrels and signs aren't enough of a clue.) :pan:

There was a presentation on this experiment at our ITE workshop this past spring, and the state marking engineer said that the suppliers are still trying to perfect the orange color. The second round of the public survey was more positive than the first time they surveyed folks just after the orange was first put down back in December.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.