News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Death Valley Highways--CA-178 and Ash Meadows/State Line Rd.

Started by Rover_0, October 06, 2009, 08:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rover_0

I am wondering why the Ash Meadows/State Line Rd between Pahrump, NV, and Death Valley Jct., CA, is not a state highway, yet it is the most direct route between the places.  Does anyone know why?

Also, as is the case with a lot of Cali. roads, CA-178 has an unconstructed gap in it.  Are there any future plans to connect the gaps?   :confused:
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

leifvanderwall

I don't know, dude. But it sounds like a place I do not want to run out of gas.

Rover_0

Me niether.  It seems (per Wikipedia) that CA-178's connection is unlikely due to the fact that the connection would need to be built through Death Valley N.P.  That, however, seems to imply that the state might have had some plans to do so.  As long as it's a 2-lane highway, I don't see any harm, as long as unimproved roads (graded, dirt) are essentially paved over connect the sections.  That could cut off a serious chunk of driving between Bakersfield and Las Vegas!

It's true that this is one of, if not, the last place I'd want to run out of gas, as well.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Rover_0 on October 06, 2009, 08:34:04 PM
I am wondering why the Ash Meadows/State Line Rd between Pahrump, NV, and Death Valley Jct., CA, is not a state highway, yet it is the most direct route between the places.  Does anyone know why?

I have no idea, but I am guessing that CA wants trucks driving down CA-58 to I-15 in Barstow as opposed to cutting across Death Valley. 

QuoteAlso, as is the case with a lot of Cali. roads, CA-178 has an unconstructed gap in it.  Are there any future plans to connect the gaps?   :confused:

CA-178's gap is fully paved and should be signed as 178.  That is one complaint I have about highway signs in general: the average driving public does not care if a road is maintained by the state or not, as long as it is a decent road - they just want to see one continuous number, and signing 178 fully (even if it is not a state highway) would achieve that goal.  The National Park Service maintains the unsigned portion of 178 and it is a perfectly good road.  Two lanes, paved, good grading, etc.  If CA-173 (a hideous goat path dirt road) deserves signage, then certainly 178 does!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 15, 2009, 01:27:12 PM

QuoteAlso, as is the case with a lot of Cali. roads, CA-178 has an unconstructed gap in it.  Are there any future plans to connect the gaps?   :confused:

CA-178's gap is fully paved and should be signed as 178.  That is one complaint I have about highway signs in general: the average driving public does not care if a road is maintained by the state or not, as long as it is a decent road - they just want to see one continuous number, and signing 178 fully (even if it is not a state highway) would achieve that goal.  The National Park Service maintains the unsigned portion of 178 and it is a perfectly good road.  Two lanes, paved, good grading, etc.  If CA-173 (a hideous goat path dirt road) deserves signage, then certainly 178 does!

I wish California would do this as well - I know Massachussetts does, allowing routes to continue regardless of state maintenance for a specific stretch of pavement - that way we don't get the strange legislative definitions as to where a state route begins and ends.

Another prime example of where this would be extremely useful would be Route 39 in the San Gabriel Valley.  (Route 54 in El Cajon also could use this.) 
Chris Sampang

Rover_0

Wait, when you say that CA-178's gap is fully paved,  are you talking about Badwater and Trona Roads, the connection made that curves and goes all the way up to CA-190, then down towards the Trona Pinnacles Nat'l Natrual Landmark, or the unconstructed segment as seen in this Wikipedia map (shown in purple)?

agentsteel53

indeed I am talking about Trona and Batwater - whatever the paved section of roads is, between the two segments of signed 178.

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Quote from: Rover_0 on October 15, 2009, 01:08:04 PM
That [CA 178's unbuilt section] could cut off a serious chunk of driving between Bakersfield and Las Vegas!

It might make a more direct connection, but I doubt such a connection would be faster than taking CA 58 & I-15.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

agentsteel53

178 is a pretty winding road, and at night it can get harrowing because there is absolutely no reflectivity in the lane markings ... 58 to 15 is still the fastest way!

jake@aaroads.com

iwvpinnaclegeek

Also, completing 178 from the pinnacles to the old bndry. of Death Valley National Monument would go through the southern ranges of China Lake - probably the biggest reason why it wasn't finished back in the day.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.