News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Robin Williams Tunnel on US 101 in Marin County

Started by roadman65, July 14, 2021, 12:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was noticing that going south on US 101 & CA 1, that the tunnel there was named in memory of late actor Robin Williams.   It surprised me that a tunnel there would bear his name, but anyway from this tunnel heading south has the same effect on a clear day as the EB Fort Pitt Tunnel in Pittsburgh, PA does giving you a sudden surge of seeing the city ahead of you as the hill hinders all views of the city (as well as the Golden Gate Bridge).

So US 101 and both CA 1 now have a unique feature on both sides of the GG Bridge.  Both have tunnels on each side of the bridge, especially now the Presidio Parkway has two tunnels south (or east) of the Golden Gate Toll Plaza.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Robin Williams lived in Seacliff.  Had some co-workers bump into him on the street when I worked in San Francisco.  They said he was quite accomodating/gracious to fans.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Some people call it the Waldo Tunnel still but the Robin Williams name is accepted by most now.  I always thought it was interesting to note the gap in State Maintenance is generally accepted by most to still be part of US 101 and CA 1.  It's worth noting that Route 101 and Route 1 don't have the Golden Gate Bridge in their legislative definitions.  I believe it only ever has been the AASHO/AASHTO that has ever formally recognized the Golden Gate Bridge as part of US 101.

heynow415

Quote from: roadman65 on July 14, 2021, 12:58:19 AM
I was noticing that going south on US 101 & CA 1, that the tunnel there was named in memory of late actor Robin Williams.   It surprised me that a tunnel there would bear his name, but anyway from this tunnel heading south has the same effect on a clear day as the EB Fort Pitt Tunnel in Pittsburgh, PA does giving you a sudden surge of seeing the city ahead of you as the hill hinders all views of the city (as well as the Golden Gate Bridge).

So US 101 and both CA 1 now have a unique feature on both sides of the GG Bridge.  Both have tunnels on each side of the bridge, especially now the Presidio Parkway has two tunnels south (or east) of the Golden Gate Toll Plaza.

It is a great experience coming out of the tunnel with the view of the bridge and city in front of you.  Whether it's completely clear and sunny or the fog is billowing in through the Gate, it's always a cool vista.

Robin Williams spent his last high school years in Marin and returned in his later years, living out on the Tiburon peninsula.  The painted rainbow arches over the tunnel portals had been there for many years when it was still called the Waldo Tunnel but since rainbow suspenders were part of his Mork character, it was a natural to leave the ones on the tunnel when it was renamed for him.

Rothman

Quote from: heynow415 on July 14, 2021, 01:03:27 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 14, 2021, 12:58:19 AM

It is a great experience coming out of the tunnel with the view of the bridge and city in front of you.  Whether it's completely clear and sunny or the fog is billowing in through the Gate, it's always a cool vista.

Robin Williams spent his last high school years in Marin and returned in his later years, living out on the Tiburon peninsula.  The painted rainbow arches over the tunnel portals had been there for many years when it was still called the Waldo Tunnel but since rainbow suspenders were part of his Mork character, it was a natural to leave the ones on the tunnel when it was renamed for him.
I know he lived in Seacliff at least in the late 1990s.  Had friends that were door-to-door guys that knocked on his door.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.