News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CA 125

Started by Max Rockatansky, January 07, 2022, 03:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Put together something for CA 125:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/01/california-state-route-125.html

Given much of the corridor has been in the news as of late and in the last two decades I don't think there was much new to hit on there.  Interestingly it seems CA 67 was around between US 80 and CA 78 by 1952.  The current freeway corridor of CA 125 in La Mesa opened as an extension of CA 67 to CA 94 during March 1953. 

theroadwayone

The only new thing that's happened was the new SB connectors (2/3 of them) opening last month.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: theroadwayone on January 07, 2022, 09:37:31 PM
The only new thing that's happened was the new SB connectors (2/3 of them) opening last month.

Let me rephrase then, since I've been on this board since late 2015 it hasn't been infrequent to see 125 as a topic.  It isn't uncommon to see 125 featured in other road media given all but two miles of it is newer freeway.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/chula-vista-mayor-wants-to-do-away-with-toll-on-south-bay-expressway/2844407/

The mayor of Chula Vista wants the 125 (South Bay Expressway) to be toll-free within the next five years. Thought that I would share this news article on this thread.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 22, 2022, 10:45:42 PM
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/chula-vista-mayor-wants-to-do-away-with-toll-on-south-bay-expressway/2844407/

The mayor of Chula Vista wants the 125 (South Bay Expressway) to be toll-free within the next five years. Thought that I would share this news article on this thread.

Arguably it should have been when the corridor went bankrupt. 

andy3175

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/south-bay-toll-stations-disconnected-months-sandag-loses-18m/509-bfed41b7-af75-4cc9-93db-1addff6f2c1f

QuoteThe San Diego Association of Governments, lost $1.8 million in toll revenue last year after a contractor disconnected toll equipment along State Route 125.

A tip to the agency's independent auditor through the SANDAG website revealed the toll sensors were disabled for three months last year.

"During June, July and August, four toll pay entries were intentionally unplugged,"  said auditor Mary Khoshmashrab, during a SANDAG audit committee meeting on April 8.

"It wasn't that just they got unplugged. It was that they got unplugged, and they went unnoticed as far as the revenue impact of that, which means there was a procedure missing that should have been there, which is to review reports on a daily basis,"  said Khoshmashrab.

The auditor's investigation, first reported by San Diego's inewsource, estimated the government agency lost $1.8 million in revenue.

SANDAG's Chief Economist, Ray Major, told the audit committee that a contractor shut down the toll readers so they could borrow parts to repair other malfunctioning toll readers.

"The system there should have been replaced back in 2007. It's literally falling apart. And so, what they're doing is cannibalizing certain points, pay points and taking parts and trying to get other ones working,"  Major told the committee. "They're actually on eBay buying LED lights from China to solder back into the signs to make them work."

The toll reading technology on State Route 125 is set to be replaced by the end of May, Major said. ...

Regarding the shutdown toll readers, SANDAG CEO Hasan Ikhrata said at a February board meeting that the contractor is to blame.

"Our contractor is liable and we're going to seek damages from that consultant,"  Ikhrata told the SANDAG board.

Ikhrata admitted during the same meeting that senior SANDAG managers found out about the revenue loss months ago and failed to inform the SANDAG board.

"I take full responsibility for any screw-up like this,"  Ikhrata said. "This is why having an independent performance auditor for the agency is so important and so critical."

The auditor presented her findings from the toll shutdown investigation at the SANDAG board meeting on Friday, April 22.

The auditor found that SANDAG had no daily, weekly or monthly reports on toll revenue. She believes if they did, staff would have been alerted much earlier to the issue.

SANDAG still owes $180 million in bond debt on State Route 125, Major said.

There is a bill pending in Sacramento that would allow refinancing of that debt to get rid of the toll booths by 2027.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

ClassicHasClass

Makes you wonder. Half the time when I'm driving on the I-15 managed lanes, I don't get charged, and there seems to be no pattern to it.

The Ghostbuster

Am I correct in assuming that CA 125 will always terminate at Mission Gorge Road, and never extend any further north?

theroadwayone

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 28, 2022, 02:31:32 PM
Am I correct in assuming that CA 125 will always terminate at Mission Gorge Road, and never extend any further north?
Caltrans defines it as going to the 56 near Poway, but it's unlikely bordering on impossible it gets anywhere near there.

pderocco

Quote from: theroadwayone on April 29, 2022, 02:34:45 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 28, 2022, 02:31:32 PM
Caltrans defines it as going to the 56 near Poway, but it's unlikely bordering on impossible it gets anywhere near there.
The only possibility would be to multiplex 125 with 52 westward a few miles, then up the canyon west of the landfill. You can imagine some sort of route that would tie in with at the I-15/CA-56 interchange, without condemning too many homes, but it would require a lot of earth moving--and environmentalist annoying.

I live in that general area, and would like to see another NW to SE diagonal, besides I-805.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.