Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Interstate 5 Express Lanes - San Diego County

<< < (2/6) > >>

roadfro:

--- Quote from: Chris on July 08, 2011, 11:19:48 AM ---What's an "express lane", another word for high occupancy toll lanes or simply toll lanes?

--- End quote ---

Express lanes are not synonymous with HOT or toll lanes.

Express lanes divide from local lanes on freeways. In this setup, local lanes have access to all the entrance and exit ramps in a given stretch of freeway, while express lanes are separated from these and have no access to interchange ramps within the same stretch.

The logic behind the express/local setup is that through traffic will use the express lanes, thereby avoiding some of the typical slowdown that are associated with weave maneuvers due to entering and exiting traffic. In theory, capacity is increased overall because the express lanes will allow more steady flow of through traffic, since they are not as affected by lane changes and traffic weaving.

myosh_tino:

--- Quote from: roadfro on July 12, 2011, 03:34:28 AM ---Express lanes divide from local lanes on freeways. In this setup, local lanes have access to all the entrance and exit ramps in a given stretch of freeway, while express lanes are separated from these and have no access to interchange ramps within the same stretch.

--- End quote ---
Not necessarily.  The I-5 and I-90 Express Lanes in the Seattle area do have limited number of entrances and exits.  Also, the Seattle-area Express Lanes are reversible.

roadfro:
^ Well, in the typical use of the term, Express Lanes have no exits. I would obviously be wrong to assume this is completely true in all cases...

Stratuscaster:
The express lanes on the Kennedy and Dan Ryan Expressways in Chicago have spots along them where express traffic can rejoin the local lanes and local lane traffic can enter the express lanes. The express lanes otherwise have no traditional exits.

The Kennedy's express lanes are reversible; those on the Dan Ryan are not.

On the west end of the Kennedy express lanes, they go directly onto the northbound Edens expressway after your last chance to exit back into the local lanes. On the east end, they go directly onto the "Ohio Feeder" ramp - the exit for eastbound Ohio Street.

citrus:

--- Quote from: roadfro on July 12, 2011, 03:34:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: Chris on July 08, 2011, 11:19:48 AM ---What's an "express lane", another word for high occupancy toll lanes or simply toll lanes?

--- End quote ---

Express lanes are not synonymous with HOT or toll lanes.

--- End quote ---

Not in general, but they seem to be synonymous within CA. Or at least Southern CA. (CA-91, I-15)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version