Plug being pulled on the Blatnik Bridge lights.

Started by Mdcastle, March 09, 2012, 11:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mdcastle

The plug is being pulled on the Blatnik Bridge decorative lights. This year starts a two year $12 million renovation and the lights need to come down due to the need to sandblast the structural steel, and the advanced deterioration of the conduit. Mn/DOT has offered to pay half the $1.2 million cost of putting the lights back up,so it's up to Wisconsin or some local agency to come up with the balance. The luminaires will be saved for possible reuse, but there is talk about using LED luminaires as replacements to reduce energy and maintenance costs.

Mdcastle

The new downlighting design, which won out over uplighting or outline lighting options. The new lights will be LEDs, but not color changable.

TheHighwayMan3561

I'm sort of excited to see how this will look in action. I'm glad they at least were able to find the money to replace the lights; it certainly wouldn't have been the same without them. I always love driving over the Blatnik when it's lit.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Mdcastle

I'm not sure what I think of it. Lighitng up all the steel is cool but it may be less neat if they eventually switch to LED roadway lights, and I think the concrete piers are bulky and ugly compared to the steel structure.

froggie

Why not color changeable?  That's one of the nice things about the I-35W bridge lights.

DaBigE

Quote from: froggie on January 10, 2013, 10:53:31 AM
Why not color changeable?  That's one of the nice things about the I-35W bridge lights.

$.
Costs more to install/maintain controllers and more complex light units.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Mdcastle

It might be a good question to ask Mn/DOT, but I'd speculate that one or more of:
1) I get the idea that money's tight, and Mn/DOT was originally insisting someone else pay for the lights or they could stay dark. Cool White LEDs are more economical to buy, operate, and maintain then seperate Red, Green, and Blue LEDs as needed for color changes. And I suspect money is why. But also:

2) It's replacing an existing installation of about the same color, rather than a new installation.
3) You're simply lighting up a beautiful bridge, rather than trying o add ornementation to a plain (I won't go so far as to call it ugly) bridge.
4) They're working with an LED fixture manufacturer, and the manufacturer might have wanted specific fixtures to be used.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.