Detroit freeway lighting... or lack of.

Started by jOnstar, January 15, 2013, 08:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinstu

Quote from: Brandon on January 15, 2013, 10:30:45 PM
Do urban freeways really need lights?  IIRC, other urban freeways tend to lack lights such as Milwaukee.  Plus, there's not much lighting out in the rural areas in either Michigan or Wisconsin along the freeways.

Milwaukee & a good bit around it is lit.

vdeane

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on January 20, 2013, 07:01:11 PM
Freeway illumination prevents drivers from overdriving their headlights.  For most cars, at freeway speeds with only their lowbeam headlights on, their headlights would not illuminate a hazard with sufficient time to stop and avoid it.  This is why the nighttime accident rate is often higher than it is for the same location during the day.  Freeway illumination provides a remedy to this problem.
For hazards such as deer, yes.  For other cars, you should be able to see them regardless because of their headlights.  That's the reason they're mandated in rain and fog, for example (running your headlights in these conditions actually reduce your own visibility; their own use is to tell other drivers that your car is there).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DaBigE

Quote from: deanej on January 21, 2013, 11:36:14 AM
That's the reason they're mandated in rain and fog, for example (running your headlights in these conditions actually reduce your own visibility; their own use is to tell other drivers that your car is there).

Careful...not all states have had the common sense to make that a law (Wisconsin, I'm looking at you :rolleyes:).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Brandon

Quote from: DaBigE on January 21, 2013, 01:44:54 PM
Quote from: deanej on January 21, 2013, 11:36:14 AM
That's the reason they're mandated in rain and fog, for example (running your headlights in these conditions actually reduce your own visibility; their own use is to tell other drivers that your car is there).

Careful...not all states have had the common sense to make that a law (Wisconsin, I'm looking at you :rolleyes:).

And even when they do, it goes unenforced (yeah, that's Illinois).  I drove to work this morning in the snow (blinding at times), and counted at least two dozen vehicles (including one scout car) without headlights on.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hm insulators

Quote from: Brandon on January 15, 2013, 10:30:45 PM
Do urban freeways really need lights?  IIRC, other urban freeways tend to lack lights such as Milwaukee.  Plus, there's not much lighting out in the rural areas in either Michigan or Wisconsin along the freeways.

Los Angeles and San Diego also. There's lights at the entrances and exits but not all the way along the freeway.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

hm insulators

Quote from: theline on January 15, 2013, 09:56:51 PM
One or two would-be thieves have had an abrupt end to their careers when cutting lines that they mistakenly thought were dead. The publicity seems to deter the bad guys--for awhile. At least, that's been my observation in my area.

Those copper thieves stealing wire from the highway lighting don't know what they're fooling with. Years ago, I befriended a kid who when he was about twelve got too close to a high-voltage line and was electrocuted. He ended up with third-degree burns over some 80% of his body. He's essentially one big burn scar, from head to toe.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

tvketchum

Quote from: jOnstar on January 15, 2013, 09:04:08 PM
     You know... as funny as that sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried.

I read an article in the Indy Star this week, abou the cost of repairs Caltrans has to make repairs to ramp meters and streetlights. Copper is $4 a pound at the scrapyards, and ripping out 10 pounds can run $50,000 to repair. The article went on to describe using aluminum wiring in the repairs, as well as burying  the junction boxes, fuses, and other points in the system under earth, or filling the box with concrete to deter theft. Thieves will tie the cable onto a vehicle and drive off, pulling out as much wire as they can before it breaks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.