News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Caltrans proposes Sacramento region's 1st tollway on I-80

Started by bing101, November 14, 2023, 10:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

https://www.kcra.com/article/sacramento-davis-causeway-proposed-tollway/45840774#

The I-80 Causeway from West Sacramento to Davis is mentioned in this proposal to be tolled if approved.

cl94

These HOT lanes are long overdue. The Yolo Causeway is notoriously congested and it's only going to get worse as Sacramento and the North Bay continue to grow. Sacramento is one of the fastest-growing regions of the country and recent Bay Area growth has been focused in Solano/Contra Costa/Alameda Counties.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

HOT lanes are the TSA Pre-Check of the world of highways.  If you pay for it, you can avoid an inconvenience.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

Quote from: cl94 on November 15, 2023, 12:27:50 AM
These HOT lanes are long overdue. The Yolo Causeway is notoriously congested and it's only going to get worse as Sacramento and the North Bay continue to grow. Sacramento is one of the fastest-growing regions of the country and recent Bay Area growth has been focused in Solano/Contra Costa/Alameda Counties.
True too also consider another one the Yolo Causeway is only 6 lanes wide and it would have to be widened at some point and have the road meet current earthquake standards in the event a 7.x hits fault lines near Sacramento in this case the Green Valley Fault is the closest fault lint to Sacramento.

jdbx

Hallelujah.  The traffic between Vacaville and Sacramento has been getting worse and worse for the past several decades, and there have been zero improvements in capacity in that time. The multitude of lane drops in that stretch between Dixon and Davis seem to just make things worse.

Plutonic Panda

They really need to do 2 tolled lanes in each direction

heynow415

Quote from: jdbx on November 17, 2023, 04:27:10 PM
Hallelujah.  The traffic between Vacaville and Sacramento has been getting worse and worse for the past several decades, and there have been zero improvements in capacity in that time. The multitude of lane drops in that stretch between Dixon and Davis seem to just make things worse.

Totally agree with the lane drops.  You have the 80/113 interchange which is a traffic engineering marvel of what used to be done, with four (and capacity for five) through lanes, multi-lane ramps, long curve radii, and even being braided for the UC Davis exit so no short weave movements at the ramps.  Everything is great except that it narrows down to three lanes by the downtown Davis exit.  And there is no reason that there couldn't be four lanes each direction between north Dixon and Vacaville - there's certainly more than enough room in the median to do so.  The lane drops in both directions approaching that section create unnecessary backups.  At the east end there's the westbound merge in W Sac with two lanes of I-80 merging with four lanes of US-50, and then necking down to three lanes for the causeway. 
No, it's not realistic to assume it can be widened into eternity to match traffic demand, but at least having a consistent number of mainline lanes through that corridor, plus aux lanes as appropriate would help moderate the flow instead of the current whipsaw effect with the lane drops now.

The Ghostbuster

Would it be possible to eventually extend the toll lanes along the entire length of the Interstate 80 Sacramento bypass (from the US 50 interchange to the Business 80/former CA 244 interchange)?

bing101

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 20, 2023, 01:28:41 PM
Would it be possible to eventually extend the toll lanes along the entire length of the Interstate 80 Sacramento bypass (from the US 50 interchange to the Business 80/former CA 244 interchange)?
Depends on how Caltrans responds to the study.

bing101

Concrete Bob

About five years ago, Caltrans completed HOV lanes that ran from West El Camino Avenue to the Business 80/244 Auburn Boulevard interchange.  Conceivably those HOV lanes could be "upgraded" to managed toll/HOV lanes.  But, I don't see it being done in the foreseeable future. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.