Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Capital Southeast Connector (Sacramento, CA)

<< < (9/9)

andy3175:

--- Quote from: bing101 on October 17, 2021, 01:52:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: sprjus4 on May 05, 2021, 04:42:29 PM ---
The key is to call them “parkways”, brand them as such, advertise them as such, everything, but ultimately still end up building a freeway.

Sits better with the public eye and could bring less opposition, and still ultimately get the same thing done.

Problem is, pretty sure this project does not involve a full freeway, and still has signalized intersections and lower speed limits than 65 mph.

--- End quote ---

They are expressways by California standards it basically how San Jose and Santa Clara County got the Capital Expressway and Montague Expressway built. The Capital Southeast Connector is basically an expressway in the Sacramento Valley.

--- End quote ---

Even so, politicians sometimes still use the word "freeway." Here is some media coverage from the May 5, 2021 groundbreaking with a quote from Assemblymember Jim Cooper.

http://www.egcitizen.com/news/groundbreaking-held-for-34-mile-connector-expressway/article_bb60753a-b4dd-11eb-8621-13a3c1439789.html

--- Quote ---Assembly Member Jim Cooper, D-Elk Grove, described the Connector as a benefit to the local economy.

“You look at the construction equipment out here, it has created jobs,” he said. “They’re going to help build this Connector. And I think also, you look at Folsom and Rancho Cordova, they’re a job hub, a lot of tech jobs in Folsom. They’ve got a lot of jobs out here. And we do have Elk Grove residents that commute out here on a daily basis, using Highway 50, and at some point, they’ll be able to bypass that. And that will take that burden off of Highway 99, I-5 and also (Highway) 50.

“Think about this: As far as a major, new freeway in the region, this is the first one in 40, 50, 60 years. I think everybody’s excited. It’s been a long time coming. I think this was originally talked about in 1993, so that tells you how far we’ve come.”
--- End quote ---

The article goes on to describe the three segments of the Capital Southeast Corridor underway ... and this initial phase does not look like freeway standards to me:

- Grant Line Road widening from two to four lanes from Waterman to Bradshaw roads (with new traffic signals at Mosher and Bradshaw roads) - completion in spring 2022
- Kammerer Road reconstruction/development from Bruceville Road to Lotz Parkway - completion by end of 2021
- White Rock Road reconstruction/expansion from East Bidwell Road to Prairie City Road with four-lane expressway separated by a median - completion winter 2022

Concrete Bob:
While I am fully in support of this project, I am rather disappointed that the section of the Capital Southeast Connector planned through the Wilton area could have up to six roundabouts in a 2.3 mile stretch:

https://www.connectorjpa.net/sheldon-wilton-c.html 

Personally, I feel roundabouts are fine for residential areas and isolated rural areas.  But they have no place on the main lanes of a regional expressway on the edge of a major urban area.  Just my opinion, though.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version