News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Mackinac Bridge and M-185 Photos

Started by Max Rockatansky, August 20, 2017, 08:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I went over the Mackinac Bridge early this morning and crossed over the island.  One of the first things I did was bike the entirety of M-185.  I'll have something written up in the Road Trips board but I'll link the photos here as well.

Mackinac Bridge:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151828809@N08/v22895

M-185 (which is very early in the album)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151828809@N08/9h0QX9

inkyatari

I know the Golden Gate bridge is the icon of American bridge building, but to me, I always preferred (albeit slightly) the Mackinac.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

AsphaltPlanet

The Mighty Mac is indeed a beautiful bridge.  While I'd give the nod to the Golden Gate Bridge I'd definitely consider the Mighty Mac to be America's second most beautiful bridge.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

dfilpus

Loved the pictures of the lighthouse in Saint Ignace. It wasn't there the last time I took that ferry.

hockeyjohn

The new M-185 sign has a different font - an arial-like style.   It was also interesting to see that the diamonds are only on Milepost 0 when they used to show on most, if not all, of the mileposts.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hockeyjohn on August 24, 2017, 04:15:14 PM
The new M-185 sign has a different font - an arial-like style.   It was also interesting to see that the diamonds are only on Milepost 0 when they used to show on most, if not all, of the mileposts.

I was curious about that, I could have sworn they were on the mileage posts on prior trips.  Really it would be nice to see a reassurance shield somewhere at the mid-point of the route IMO.

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on August 24, 2017, 11:09:11 AM
The Mighty Mac is indeed a beautiful bridge.  While I'd give the nod to the Golden Gate Bridge I'd definitely consider the Mighty Mac to be America's second most beautiful bridge.

Its pretty pleasing design that went into the Mackinac Bridge.  Had it started construction closer to the Federal Highway Act I would imagine it would have been planned with Interstate standards in mind  Really it makes me wonder how that would have affected the design and how the bridge would actually look.

But I would agree the Golden Gate really is pretty much one of the highest caliber bridge designs out there, really older suspension bridges in general having a pleasing appearance to the eye. 

MNHighwayMan

I love in those first few pictures of the town (especially this one) that, even though there's little to no vehicle traffic on the road, almost everyone still uses the sidewalks.

It's just that ingrained in our psyches, I guess.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 24, 2017, 10:40:56 PM
I love in those first few pictures of the town (especially this one) that, even though there's little to no vehicle traffic on the road, almost everyone still uses the sidewalks.

It's just that ingrained in our psyches, I guess.

Actually within the city at least you stand a pretty good chance of getting run into by a biker or a horse carriage.  I had to make sure traffic was clear so I could dip into the roadway for a photo before someone starting coming.  I'd say right around the church building is where everything drops off and you can walk pretty comfortably in the roadway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.