AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

on: Today at 08:17:25 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by webny99
Odd you say that, because in your previous post you made it clear that you weren't going to respond to his post, but by responding to me, you're indirectly responding to him. Nor do I see anything that looks like a rebuttal in said post, except for the fact that you're now claiming it was one (and if so, that post now makes zero sense.)

You misunderstand - my point is that he chose to give a subtle insult rather than a direct rebuttal - presumably because there was no real rebuttal to give.

In other words, he decided against arguing, which is the equivalent of saying "you're right", or at a minimum, saying "you're not wrong enough for me to waste time forming a counterargument".

Nor did I say anywhere that Scott was trying to insult you, but rather that you thought he was insulting you. Which, from that reply, you clearly think he is, even though I don't read that post as a direct insult.

I mean, I was the intended recipient, and I knew right away, given the scope of the discussion, that it was meant as an insult. Or at least he knew there was a pretty good chance I'd feel insulted.

Anyways, whatever. There are other more important threads awaiting.  :-P

on: Today at 08:16:15 PM 
Started by qguy - Last post by Alps
But that gets into the debate about whether that part of Pennsylvania is Northeastern or Midwestern.

I-99 is the dividing line. (In New York, I-390 is the dividing line.)

Anyone who thinks Pittsburgh is in the midwest has been lobotomized, although to be fair, it's not really in the northeast either.
Pittsburgh is in the midwest.

on: Today at 07:54:40 PM 
Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek - Last post by steviep24
Also, those that are from areas that don't have them will benefit from the signage when they do encounter one.

Pretty sure that's what the driver's manual for that area is for... it's up to you to keep up on what the rules are when you travel, after all.
New York's driver's manual makes no mention of FYA at all yet NYSDOT is installing FYA with most of their new signals. All FYA in New York do not come with signage. i know of one intersection with a flashing red arrow which is also not mentioned. At least NYSDOT provided a sign instructing drivers what to do with it.

https://dmv.ny.gov/about-dmv/chapter-4-traffic-control-2

BTW, New York's online driver's manual is ugly.

on: Today at 07:49:42 PM 
Started by qguy - Last post by Sam
Backing it up a step, I don't think there's a hard line between Northeast and Midwest, especially not in Upstate NY.

I agree there’s no hard line, but Buffalo is the transition. Its “personality” is almost equal parts Northeastern, Midwestern and Southern Ontario.

on: Today at 07:34:38 PM 
Started by thenetwork - Last post by 6a
How about the Cleveland area practice to almost never sign (or mention in conversations) road suffixes on blades or other road signs? Is this done anywhere else?

There are some Ohio counties that omit the suffix for roads that are “XYZ Road” but will include the suffix otherwise. I’ve never figured out why this is the case, other than “it’s a road, duh” but it can make for nice looking blades.

on: Today at 07:31:11 PM 
Started by Mergingtraffic - Last post by Mergingtraffic
OK, coming off the heels of the colored shields...what button copy is left in FL?

These are still there I believe:

The Congress Ave signs on the Exit 50 off-ramps of I-95 in Boca Raton are still there. (one sign on the NB off-ramp and 2 on the SB off-ramp)
The mileage distance signs on Congress Ave overpass are still there over I-95 in the same area.

Anybody know what else is left?
Are these?
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.7657322,-82.6424304,3a,75y,98.73h,94.97t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sI6d3NEbGKVu5WxhHCkcqfA!2e0!5s20170601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

on: Today at 07:06:22 PM 
Started by 74/171FAN - Last post by shadyjay
Took a little weekend trip to New Hampshire.  Noticed the replacement of the former small green signs along portions of US 4 and NH 11 in favor of more traditional signage.  For example, this sign is gone now:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.5258605,-71.8625962,3a,42.9y,156.19h,85.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDmgO8sCFUY3-PQv6Y8Sp4g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

So is this, and the whole intersection revamped:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6464543,-72.1885459,3a,31.5y,200.95h,82.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAJAGwdfMPI6Mz4jpVlGWzA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In lieu of the LGS (little green signs), the new normal is city/town names on a separate sign, and routes shown with traditional directional/shield/arrow signs, on par with the rest of New England (except Mass.). 

on: Today at 06:59:04 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by MNHighwayMan
Google Dunning-Krueger effect next.
Rather than
(a) defending my credibility, or
(b) crafting another squalid dis in response,
I'm just going to be the mature party here and say enough is enough. I'm sorry you were prepared to go that low, but I'm sure as hell not going lower!
What's really fun about this response is we don't know if it's crafted because:
1. You understand what Dunning–Kruger is and legitimately feel insulted because of the insinuation that you might be on the opposite end of the spectrum (ie stupid/unaware).
or
2. You don't understand what it is and feel insulted merely because you think there's a chance he's calling you stupid.
Actually, neither. I'm aware that it was supposed to be an insult, but it was also a good opportunity to offer a logical rebuttal of my actual point.
Irony of all ironies, he went with an insult, thereby proving that I have no reason to feel insulted!

Odd you say that, because in your previous post you made it clear that you weren't going to respond to his post, but by responding to me, you're indirectly responding to him. Nor do I see anything that looks like a rebuttal in said post, except for the fact that you're now claiming it was one (and if so, that post now makes zero sense.)

Nor did I say anywhere that Scott was trying to insult you, but rather that you thought he was insulting you. Which, from that reply, you clearly think he is, even though I don't read that post as a direct insult.

on: Today at 06:52:37 PM 
Started by Bruce - Last post by nexus73
The opening game of the World Cup was the 2nd biggest win for a host in their opener, behind Italy's 7-1 defeat of the United States way back in 1934.

The fourth goal was especially nice.

Mussolini knew how to make trains on time and soccer players score...LOL!

Rick

Jokes aside, it's suspected that Mussolini had a hand in giving the Italian team enough advantages to win the 1934 and 1938 cups.

That quality would have made Mussolini a great NASCAR guy back in their days when the operative phrase was "If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'!". 

Then again how much advantage does a team need to beat the USA men in soccer?  LOL! 

Rick

on: Today at 06:45:55 PM 
Started by AlexandriaVA - Last post by cpzilliacus
^ What you could say, though, is that US 1 is Patrick and Henry Streets through Old Town, and Richmond Highway outside of old town.....even moreso if Arlington County follows suit.

Arlington County may  not decide on its own - they have to have approval from the Virginia General Assembly because they are a county.

Because Arlington County  maintains the streets that would be secondary roads in the vast majority of other Virginia counties,  it's not  at all clear that they need approval to change the names of streets that the county (and not the Commonwealth) maintains.

But in this case, all of Jefferson Davis Highway in Arlington County  is maintained by VDOT (and it may be the only  place in  Virginia where Jefferson  Davis Highway is not U.S. 1, since the northernmost part (a little over 2 miles) is VA-110).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.