AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

on: Today at 08:18:05 PM 
Started by Grzrd - Last post by sparker
The Indian Nation Turnpike from Henryetta down to Hugo is a pretty odd, remote route. Henryetta to Durant (along the Tulsa to Dallas corridor) would have made a hell of a lot more sense. Paris, TX isn't exactly a major destination for Tulsa traffic.

The southern terminus of the Indian Nation near Hugo was in all likelihood politically motivated, functionally "throwing a bone" to SE OK.  Weyerhaeuser Lumber has multiple facilities spread out along US 70 from Hugo east to the state line, including a huge mill in Valliant.  My grandfather was the lumber grading manager at their Broken Bow plant for several decades until he retired in the '50's; that plant closed down about 1965 or so in favor of an expanded Valliant plant.  One of the older original small-town WalMarts was located on the site of the old mill where US 70/259 crosses the TO&E rail line.  But the lumber producer is only one major player in the region; Tyson has a huge processing plant between Broken Bow and Idabel -- the single largest employment site in the area.  Between lumber, agriculture, and food processing, there's a lot of commercial activity in SE OK!  The INTP was the initial high-capacity route into the area; US 70 is being upgraded in bits and pieces (Idabel & Durant bypass; Hugo was bypassed as an extension of the INTP), although a major corridor-length expansion doesn't seem to be on the table.  I suppose when the INTP was planned, it was figured that the composite US 69/75 corridor would eventually be upgraded as a matter of course (the freeway section north of McAlester attests to that) -- but that situation is more than adequately covered in other threads. 

on: Today at 08:11:17 PM 
Started by Mergingtraffic - Last post by RobbieL2415
None of the above will be done, not in a million years. In fact, I expect Interstate 84 will collapse before they come up with a reasonable plan to propose, design, fund and construct an Interstate 84 viaduct replacement (one that gets public opinion and NIMBYS approval).

They'll just keep patching up the existing I-84 viaduct and milk it for as long as they can.  Eventually, I think you'll see it get to the point where the viaduct is condemned and closed, and I-84 through-traffic will be rerouted via either I-691 or Route 9 and 72, to I-91, and then over the Charter Oak Bridge.
True punishment.

on: Today at 08:08:59 PM 
Started by noelbotevera - Last post by noelbotevera
My parents are aware that I intend to host the meet. However, I still need help with scouting. If anybody has spare time to check up on some things that I plan on seeing, then just go out there and tell me what you saw.

'Course, I'll be considering factors such as parking, road construction, and sports games as well in the itinerary. I'll have to check the big team's schedules whenever they're having a home game. I plan to have maybe two or three stops, so this meet should be relatively quick.

on: Today at 07:59:35 PM 
Started by adwerkema - Last post by Beltway
I consider 35E to be 35 in both cases, so I’d count driving on 35E but not either 35W as 35.

I drove thru the DFW area in 1972 east-west on the turnpike and what was then I-20 thru downtown Dallas (today's I-30).  Looks like I overlapped a mile of I-35E, so it looks like I have driven a part of I-35 after all.

on: Today at 07:58:20 PM 
Started by Scott5114 - Last post by Jim
Siloam -> Merrimack (NH).  Near the Manchester, New Hampshire, airport.  September 16, 2017.

on: Today at 07:53:06 PM 
Started by jbnv - Last post by Jim
Back in after not having a 702.

South Carolina 703 from US 17.  July 30, 2007.

Virginia Secondary 703 from Virginia 80.  July 11, 2008.

on: Today at 07:52:26 PM 
Started by swbrotha100 - Last post by theroadwayone
Guys, can we please get this thread back on topic, thank you? Anyone else's $0.02 on I-11?

on: Today at 07:46:09 PM 
Started by briantroutman - Last post by PAHighways
Breezewood is a nuisance to be sure, but I’ve never experienced “epic” traffic there, even on holiday weekends. Even so, the worst of it could be avoided, either by meeting first in Bedford then taking US 30 to Breezewood (as we did in the 2003 SWPA meet)—or by exiting at Fort Littleton and beginning the tour at the eastern end.

Ed's Steakhouse in Bedford is a nice place.  I've been there for an Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor meeting, and we were able to get our own dining room.  Then there is always Hoss's, the site for the Breezewood Meet.  If wanting to meet in Breezewood is preferred, there is the Gateway Travel Plaza (the first business in Breezewood) which now has a food court.

I’ve biked the Abandoned Turnpike in the past, and Froggie’s suggestion of biking is an idea that I also had when considering the possibility of a meet. But I suspect it would be problematic since assumably someone doesn’t have a bike, couldn’t bring it, etc. So I’m just throwing this out as a wild idea: Among those intending to come: Would you be interested in riding the old road (at a leisurely pace), and could you bring a bicycle? I could bring a bike for myself and one extra. Perhaps we’d be able to cover everybody the same way we did with hard hats and vests at the I-95 meet.

If we don’t do a bike tour, and also assuming we don’t get vehicular access to the Abandoned Turnpike (which I suppose is a slight possibility), we could still have a pretty good tour by driving to various publicly accessible access points and walking out to the old road. The western portal of Rays Hill, both portals of Sideling Hill, and the former Cove Valley Service Plaza site are all a reasonable walk from nearby parking areas.

I would contact whomever owns the pike nowadays and see if they would allow vehicular access.  I did that with the Southern Alleghenies Conservancy months before I held my meet, but they weren't the most communicative bunch which is why I never attempted another meet.  I never heard one way or the other as to if we were allowed vehicles onto the roadway, so the morning of the meet I was scouting pedestrian access points via parallel roads.  Fortunately one of the attendees was a SAC member and told me we indeed had permission.

on: Today at 07:44:06 PM 
Started by mtantillo - Last post by cpzilliacus
Washington Post: Here’s a look at who’s using Northern Virginia’s 495 and 95 express lanes

The average user is younger than 45 and has a household income of less than $100,000 a year, according to a new survey.

on: Today at 07:11:43 PM 
Started by CapeCodder - Last post by CapeCodder
You mean Open Street Map, but offline?

Yes. Something like that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.