News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 17, 2014, 04:32:52 PM
No SJTA in there?
Between the airport being managed by Port Authority and the expressway tagged to go to NJTA, they may have nothing to merge.

bzakharin

If this goes through, I wonder if it'll make more sense to have 42 interchange with the Turnpike, extend the ACE onto it and have a seamless system of toll roads in NJ. Has this been tried in other states? What's the effect on the relationship of the toll road network to the non-toll freeway network? Is there more incentive on putting toll on existing free roads (or even removing tolls from toll roads a la Connecticut)?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on September 18, 2014, 09:53:39 AM
If this goes through, I wonder if it'll make more sense to have 42 interchange with the Turnpike, extend the ACE onto it and have a seamless system of toll roads in NJ. Has this been tried in other states?

If it was done, it wouldn't be seemless, unless one has EZ Pass.  Each road will remain independent as to the tolls collected.  Even today, with the NJ Turnpike and GS Parkway under one toll agency, each road maintains its individual character and toll structure. 

QuoteWhat's the effect on the relationship of the toll road network to the non-toll freeway network?

In the past, the NJ Turnpike could be its own separate planet, in that information about issues on the Turnpike aren't relayed on NJDOT owned roadways, and vice-versa.  That isn't as true anymore, in my opinion.  I take 295 on nearly a daily basis, and they will use the VMS signage regarding Turnpike issues; usually in a manner that encourage motorists to remain on 295 rather than getting onto the Turnpike.  The Turnpike doesn't tend to show congestion issues on 295 though (which, similarly, would encourage traffic to remain on the Turnpike).  I can't speak regarding signage on the turnpike if 295 was closed completely, as that rarely occurs and I can't recall being on the Turnpike for such an issue.

The ACX & GSP are a bit different as there isn't a parallel road system that could handle the load of the highway traffic, and VMS signage is rare to non-existent on the parallel roads.

QuoteIs there more incentive on putting toll on existing free roads (or even removing tolls from toll roads a la Connecticut)?

Just the opposite...a law was passed in 1999 prohibiting tolls on Rt. 42. While laws can always be changed, it highlights the public opinion that free roads should remain free.

"27:25A-7.1.  Route 42 to remain toll-free
2.Notwithstanding any other law, rule or regulation to the contrary, the authority shall not fix, charge or collect tolls or other charges for the use of State Highway Route No. 42, or any parts or sections thereof, which it may acquire ownership of pursuant to an agreement between the authority and the department."

02 Park Ave

Wasn't the original plan to have 55 terminate at Exit 3 of the NJT?  With this there could be a connexion between 42 and the NJT.
C-o-H

vdeane

Quote from: Alps on September 17, 2014, 05:45:17 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 17, 2014, 04:32:52 PM
No SJTA in there?
Between the airport being managed by Port Authority and the expressway tagged to go to NJTA, they may have nothing to merge.
That's officially happening?  I thought it was just proposals and roadgeek speculation.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on September 18, 2014, 11:57:15 AM
Wasn't the original plan to have 55 terminate at Exit 3 of the NJT?  With this there could be a connexion between 42 and the NJT.

It actually was proposed to meet up with US 130 south of Route 42 in the West Deptford area (probably before I-295 was constructed in the area).  I've never seen a proposed map of this...only this state statute.

State Statute 27:6-1.  State highway routes set forth.
The state highway system shall consist of the following routes:

"ROUTE NO. 55.  Beginning at a point in Route U.S. 130 in the vicinity of Westville in the county of Gloucester, thence in a general southeasterly direction passing west of Vineland in the county of Cumberland and east of Millville in the county of Cumberland to a point in Route U.S. 9 in the vicinity of Cape May Court House in the county of Cape May.  The route shall traverse the counties of Gloucester, Salem, Cumberland and Cape May. L.1964, c. 16, s. 1."

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 18, 2014, 01:17:26 PM

It actually was proposed to meet up with US 130 south of Route 42 in the West Deptford area (probably before I-295 was constructed in the area).  I've never seen a proposed map of this...only this state statute.

"ROUTE NO. 55.  Beginning at a point in Route U.S. 130 in the vicinity of Westville in the county of Gloucester, thence in a general southeasterly direction passing west of Vineland in the county of Cumberland and east of Millville in the county of Cumberland to a point in Route U.S. 9 in the vicinity of Cape May Court House in the county of Cape May.  The route shall traverse the counties of Gloucester, Salem, Cumberland and Cape May. L.1964, c. 16, s. 1."
I need to dig up my old Franklin maps.  I had some of Gloucester County that showed multiple proposed routings of 55 through the northern part of the County, with at least one I think that might have been similar to the above description.

storm2k

Officials eye gas tax hike to fix N.J. roads and bridges

They'll talk about it, but the gas tax has become one of those magical political third rails where anyone who actually did it would likely commit political suicide. And to think the TTF used to be a model for the nation on how to fund road construction and maintenance.

roadman65

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on September 18, 2014, 02:11:20 PM

I need to dig up my old Franklin maps.  I had some of Gloucester County that showed multiple proposed routings of 55 through the northern part of the County, with at least one I think that might have been similar to the above description.

Back in the day when Exxon had those really nice folding maps that showed the alignments of future freeways, I remember seeing that NJ 55 was only proposed to end at NJ 47 just north of Malaga.

I have read here that NJ 55 was indeed planned to go where (or somewhere near) it does now back real far in history.  The maps that showed that were the early 70's edition, so I am to assume that at one point NJDOT cancelled its proposal before deciding to actually go through with the original plan?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on September 25, 2014, 02:33:17 AM

They'll talk about it, but the gas tax has become one of those magical political third rails where anyone who actually did it would likely commit political suicide. And to think the TTF used to be a model for the nation on how to fund road construction and maintenance.
I think this has enough support to get past a Christie veto without incurring the state's wrath. We all know our roads are crumbling and we need to raise the tax. I just paid $3.04, and I'm not even in the lowest-price part of the state.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on September 25, 2014, 06:52:48 AM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on September 18, 2014, 02:11:20 PM

Back in the day when Exxon had those really nice folding maps that showed the alignments of future freeways, I remember seeing that NJ 55 was only proposed to end at NJ 47 just north of Malaga.

I have read here that NJ 55 was indeed planned to go where (or somewhere near) it does now back real far in history.  The maps that showed that were the early 70's edition, so I am to assume that at one point NJDOT cancelled its proposal before deciding to actually go through with the original plan?

The 1970's maps probably showed the actual route of construction, which was going on during that time.  It was always proposed to go from the Parkway to the 42/295 area.  Why that little stretch was built first around Vineland/Millville...who knows!

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on September 26, 2014, 12:58:55 AM
Quote from: storm2k on September 25, 2014, 02:33:17 AM

I think this has enough support to get past a Christie veto without incurring the state's wrath. We all know our roads are crumbling and we need to raise the tax. I just paid $3.04, and I'm not even in the lowest-price part of the state.
If the gas tax increase is not severe enough to surpass the current gas prices charged across the Hudson (NY) & Delaware Rivers (DE & PA); NJ can still have bragging rights for having lower prices than its neighboring states, and hence, still have some support.

IMHO & personal prediction, this increase could be up for a vote after the November elections but before the new State Legislature is sworn in.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mr. Matté

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 26, 2014, 10:27:38 AM
IMHO & personal prediction, this increase could be up for a vote after the November elections but before the new State Legislature is sworn in.

The New Jersey Legislature is up for election in odd-numbered years, but with a governor who's going to go on a losing primary race for President, he's not going to sign off on it anyway.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 26, 2014, 12:32:40 PM

The New Jersey Legislature is up for election in odd-numbered years, but with a governor who's going to go on a losing primary race for President, he's not going to sign off on it anyway.
You're right; I forgot about that and since updated my post to reflect such.

As far as your latter point is concerned; if Gov. Christie faces a potential override to his veto, he may have no choice but to sign such.  Across the Delaware, Gov. Corbett was recently pressured to sign legislation that ultimately raised/raises PA's gas tax earlier (to fund transportation projects) and he's up for re-election this year.

While I'm tempted to comment more on the political side of the above; I will exercise restraint.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 26, 2014, 12:42:52 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 26, 2014, 12:32:40 PM

You're right; I forgot about that and since updated my post to reflect such.

As far as your latter point is concerned; if Gov. Christie faces a potential override to his veto, he may have no choice but to sign such.  Across the Delaware, Gov. Corbett was recently pressured to sign legislation that ultimately raised/raises PA's gas tax earlier (to fund transportation projects) and he's up for re-election this year.

While I'm tempted to comment more on the political side of the above; I will exercise restraint.

The real problem is that Christie is really eyeing a 2016 presidential run and everything he does these days is more or less calculated to the optics of how he'll look to GOP power brokers and voters in 2016. The current political climate on that side of the aisle is very tax-unfriendly. Not only that, but voters already grumble about how much they pay for gas as it is now. To ask them to pay for more is not going to be very popular no matter how you stack it up.

PHLBOS

Quote from: storm2k on September 26, 2014, 03:08:16 PMThe real problem is that Christie is really eyeing a 2016 presidential run and everything he does these days is more or less calculated to the optics of how he'll look to GOP power brokers and voters in 2016. The current political climate on that side of the aisle is very tax-unfriendly. Not only that, but voters already grumble about how much they pay for gas as it is now. To ask them to pay for more is not going to be very popular no matter how you stack it up.
Christie could always switch political parties if he wanted to (and run for President as a Democrat); but that's another topic for another forum.

With regards to the gas tax increase: as I mentioned earlier, if there are enough state legislators backing the increase to constitute a veto override; Gov. Christie can't really do too much in that particular scenario.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 26, 2014, 03:33:58 PM
Quote from: storm2k on September 26, 2014, 03:08:16 PMThe real problem is that Christie is really eyeing a 2016 presidential run and everything he does these days is more or less calculated to the optics of how he'll look to GOP power brokers and voters in 2016. The current political climate on that side of the aisle is very tax-unfriendly. Not only that, but voters already grumble about how much they pay for gas as it is now. To ask them to pay for more is not going to be very popular no matter how you stack it up.
Christie could always switch political parties if he wanted to (and run for President as a Democrat); but that's another topic for another forum.

With regards to the gas tax increase: as I mentioned earlier, if there are enough state legislators backing the increase to constitute a veto override; Gov. Christie can't really do too much in that particular scenario.
Christie is just not Presidential material, any more than Giuliani was. Wish he'd recognize that and back off.

Zeffy

I feel like this in an underwhelming number...

The state Department of Transportation Friday announced nearly $90 million in grants to help repair streets and bridges across the state and to beef up enforcement along so-called "safe corridors,"  roadways with historically high crash rates.

All the state's 21 counties will share in more than $78 million in aid to be used by the counties for road and bridge projects at their discretion. The grants are appropriated annually by the state Legislature and are based on a combination of population and roadway mileage. Awards ranged from $1.6 million for Cape May County to a high of $6.1 million for Ocean.

QuoteAnother $3 million has been allotted under the Safe Corridors program, which provides smaller grants for safety and enforcement measures along designated 14-mile stretches of highway throughout the state. More than 50 grants of anywhere from a few thousand to $150,000 will be doled out for segments of US 1 in Mercer, Middlesex and Union counties; US 9 in in Ocean, Monmouth and Middlesex; US 22 in Somerset, Union and Essex; US 40 in Atlantic; US 46 in Morris, Essex and Passaic; State Highway 47 in Cumberland; State Highway 73 in Camden and Burlington; and US 206 in Somerset.

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on October 04, 2014, 09:38:22 AM
I feel like this in an underwhelming number...

The state Department of Transportation Friday announced nearly $90 million in grants to help repair streets and bridges across the state and to beef up enforcement along so-called “safe corridors,” roadways with historically high crash rates.

All the state’s 21 counties will share in more than $78 million in aid to be used by the counties for road and bridge projects at their discretion. The grants are appropriated annually by the state Legislature and are based on a combination of population and roadway mileage. Awards ranged from $1.6 million for Cape May County to a high of $6.1 million for Ocean.

QuoteAnother $3 million has been allotted under the Safe Corridors program, which provides smaller grants for safety and enforcement measures along designated 14-mile stretches of highway throughout the state. More than 50 grants of anywhere from a few thousand to $150,000 will be doled out for segments of US 1 in Mercer, Middlesex and Union counties; US 9 in in Ocean, Monmouth and Middlesex; US 22 in Somerset, Union and Essex; US 40 in Atlantic; US 46 in Morris, Essex and Passaic; State Highway 47 in Cumberland; State Highway 73 in Camden and Burlington; and US 206 in Somerset.

There are numerous grants NJDOT provides the counties and municipalities each year.  Even though this has been going on for many, many years, newspaper reporters tend to come and go, don't really understanding how transportation funding works, and next thing you know you get a very incomplete picture of funding levels. 

Across the board, everyone would love to have billions. 

Zeffy

So is all the money going to fixing potholes and that's it? For example; US 206 in Somerset County is listed, but what are they going to do there? There's already repaving work in Mercer County (where the pavement degrades in quality the moment you cross from Montgomery) on 206, but no repaving is going to alleviate the horrible congestion the road has. If you're stuck behind a truck you're practically SOL until you get to a passing zone, which lasts all of about 1/2 mile most of the time. The congestion from Hillsborough all the way up to the Somerville Circle (and even further north all the way up to I-287) during rushhour is insane. Unless the bypass of US 206 is signed as the truck route while the mainline US 206 is signed for local deliveries only, Hillsborough congestion isn't going to get better even when the bypass is completed. Having ridden the open portions, it's a one-land road both ways, just like US 206 itself in Hillsborough is.

I know that money isn't magical, but something needs to be done so we can replenish our depleted Highway Trust Fund. Once that is done, we need to find ways to improve roadways that aren't simply repaving.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Looking at the NJDOT website where the news story was derived from (http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2014/100314a.shtm), I believe the money was provided to the counties to do as they wish.  Usually they have some sort of wish list already made up which what projects they want to complete.  It can vary from sidewalk installation to intersection reconstruction to traffic lights to signage to widening, and everything in between. 

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 04, 2014, 11:16:42 AM
Looking at the NJDOT website where the news story was derived from (http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2014/100314a.shtm), I believe the money was provided to the counties to do as they wish.  Usually they have some sort of wish list already made up which what projects they want to complete.  It can vary from sidewalk installation to intersection reconstruction to traffic lights to signage to widening, and everything in between.

With Hillsborough being given $154k for US 206 projects, I cannot imagine what they would be doing. US 22 in Bridgewater is poised for some upgrades as well, with $167k being given, hopefully in the area near US 202/206, where fatalities aren't too uncommon.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Zeffy on October 04, 2014, 10:35:51 AM
The congestion from Hillsborough all the way up to the Somerville Circle (and even further north all the way up to I-287) during rushhour is insane. Unless the bypass of US 206 is signed as the truck route while the mainline US 206 is signed for local deliveries only, Hillsborough congestion isn't going to get better even when the bypass is completed. Having ridden the open portions, it's a one-land road both ways, just like US 206 itself in Hillsborough is.
The two lane / partial divided 'Super-2' is the biggest disappointment on the bypass.  They did the same thing with the final section of the 33 bypass in Freehold.  I understand budgets and environmental constraints, but building a new bypass to (almost) freeway standards and then have it one lane per direction is a terrible idea.  At the very least, don't bother with the median, so I can at least make my own passing lane as needed, safety be damned.

J Route Z

Can't wait for the replacement of the Route 495 bridge over Route 1/9: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/capital/tcp15/sec4/route/rt9.pdf

and the revamp of the interchange at Routes 9 and 35: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/capital/tcp15/sec4/route/rt9.pdf (listed at bottom of page)

They should be going out to bid sometime next year?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.