News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Quote from: ixnay on February 24, 2015, 08:11:09 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 21, 2015, 02:04:42 PM
Just look at the SLR  SLD and it tells you what NJ designated highways are NJDOT maintained and where and which segments are not!

Where is this SLD?  On NJDOT's website?

ixnay

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

ixnay

Quote from: Zeffy on February 25, 2015, 12:43:29 PM
Quote from: ixnay on February 24, 2015, 08:11:09 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 21, 2015, 02:04:42 PM
Just look at the SLR  SLD and it tells you what NJ designated highways are NJDOT maintained and where and which segments are not!

Where is this SLD?  On NJDOT's website?

ixnay

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/

Thanks! :thumbsup:

ixnay

roadman65

Has Calhoun Street in Trenton ever been part of US 1 at any time in history?  I do know that it was indeed the original Lincoln Highway, but as we all know the Trenton Makes Bridge was the original US 1 for many years prior to the Trenton Freeway Bridge being built to cross the Delaware. 

The Lower Trenton Bridge, as the official name of it, was opened in 1928 replacing an another crossing that was built in the 19th Century just a couple years after US 1 was formed.

Also Calhoun Street does blend in with Warren Street in Trenton which was the old US 1.  Plus, if you go through Morrisville west from the Calhoun Street Bridge you will find yourself defaulted onto US 1 Business.  These two factors prove not only how they were part of Lincoln Highway, but US 1 could have been as well.  Just because the Trenton Makes Bridge was built in the 19th Century does not either mean that it had to be US 1 when the great US numbering took place either.

All of this does raise interesting questions as both are great candidates for a route alignment at any point in history.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on March 02, 2015, 01:49:17 PM
Has Calhoun Street in Trenton ever been part of US 1 at any time in history?
Doubt it. The Pennsylvania-side route to the Makes Bridge was state-maintained LR 281, while the route to the Calhoun Street Bridge was initially a state aid road that seems to have ended before the bridge.

Note that the diagonal from Calhoun to Princeton (not Warren) in Trenton did not exist until 1932. When the Lincoln Highway used Calhoun, it turned off on State to Warren (though it may have been moved to Bank-Passaic before the rerouting to the Makes Bridge).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

Quote from: roadman65 on March 02, 2015, 01:49:17 PM
Also Calhoun Street does blend in with Warren Street in Trenton which was the old US 1.

Warren Street is much more vibrant, seeing as it goes through Downtown, which is populated during the daytime hours. Calhoun is more residential. I can't really say that they blend in too well.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

ixnay

At exit 3 of I-78/U.S. 22 near Alpha, is there grading visible showing where the old ramps were from when I-78 terminated (westbound) before it was extended along the south side of the Lehigh Valley?  I'd like to bring back memories of 1979-80 when I rode Carl (not Justin) Bieber Tourways no less than three times to NYC from Kutztown (to see the Unisphere up close one trip and to catch a Mets game on another).   I was a freshman at what is now Kutztown University.   I-78 in the LV was stalled at the time (as was I-476 in Montco and Delco) and all thru traffic along the Valley (including Bieber buses) had to use U.S. 22 down the S-curve in Easton and across the truss bridge into Phillipsburg.

ixnay

cl94

Quote from: ixnay on March 08, 2015, 04:16:25 PM
At exit 3 of I-78/U.S. 22 near Alpha, is there grading visible showing where the old ramps were from when I-78 terminated (westbound) before it was extended along the south side of the Lehigh Valley?  I'd like to bring back memories of 1979-80 when I rode Carl (not Justin) Bieber Tourways no less than three times to NYC from Kutztown (to see the Unisphere up close one trip and to catch a Mets game on another).   I was a freshman at what is now Kutztown University.   I-78 in the LV was stalled at the time (as was I-476 in Montco and Delco) and all thru traffic along the Valley (including Bieber buses) had to use U.S. 22 down the S-curve in Easton and across the truss bridge into Phillipsburg.

ixnay

Not much. The stub in the center of the image was the former WB roadway and you can kind of see where it merged into I-78. There's also a small stub on the southwest side of the US 22/NJ 122 intersection. Everything else was obliterated to build the interchange. See here for a 1970 aerial.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

NE2

Quote from: ixnay on March 08, 2015, 04:16:25 PM
At exit 3 of I-78/U.S. 22 near Alpha, is there grading visible showing where the old ramps were from when I-78 terminated (westbound) before it was extended along the south side of the Lehigh Valley?
http://historicaerials.com?layer=1972&zoom=16&lat=40.67001121908946&lon=-75.1330304145813
Westbound traffic followed the vegetation line to the north of the current offramp and then what's now a double-ended cul-de-sac (West Avenue according to the Goog). Eastbound traffic used what's now the jughandle to NJ 122 and bore left across NJ 122 on what appears to be a gas station driveway. (Then it cut right across the middle of where the loop to I-78 west is now; there's probably no grading remaining there.)

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

The original Exit 3 was a wye interchange and no remains of the original EB on ramp exist as it is where most of the interchange is now.  The old bridge carrying I-78 E Bound over WB NJ 173 was completely dismantled as NJ thought not to use it when I-78 was finally extended into PA in the mid 80's.  The old configuration was mostly where the new one is, except for the original ramp WB.

If you head east from NJ 122 across US 22 you can find it by car easily.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Thanks guys for the links and the info.  Brings back memories of those bus rides.

ixnay

jeffandnicole

A few years back the 'Mullica Hill Bypass' opened around...you guessed it...Mullica Hill.  It was quickly designated US 322, but old 322 thru Mullica Hill was never resigned.  The only signage to appear was the horribly incorrect 'County 322' when the old route was closed for road and dam reconstruction, which is now gone.

The newest NJ Straight Line diagram package gives insight to what the old route officially became: US 322 Business, which is appropriate for this section.  However, no signage was ever installed for the route.

It's a bit significant in that NJ has usually refrained from designating business routes.  Per the SLDs, there are only 3 in the state (state and US Hwy designated routes):  US 1, NJ 33, and US 322.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/00000322B_-.pdf

NJRoadfan

Wonder if those changes were ever approved by AASHTO? After all they are in charge of US highway routing. Gloucester County's records don't seem to reflect any re-routing of CR-536 (what they maintain US-322 as in most of Harrison Twp). The Mullica Hill Bypass is considered CR-536A.

NE2

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 18, 2015, 04:44:01 PM
Wonder if those changes were ever approved by AASHTO? After all they are in charge of US highway routing. Gloucester County's records don't seem to reflect any re-routing of CR-536 (what they maintain US-322 as in most of Harrison Twp). The Mullica Hill Bypass is considered CR-536A.
Most states don't submit minor realignments to AASHTO. Lapdog MODOT submits everything, including building a new set of lanes in one direction and keeping the old ones for the other direction.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 17, 2015, 01:29:46 PM
A few years back the 'Mullica Hill Bypass' opened around...you guessed it...Mullica Hill.  It was quickly designated US 322, but old 322 thru Mullica Hill was never resigned.  The only signage to appear was the horribly incorrect 'County 322' when the old route was closed for road and dam reconstruction, which is now gone.

The newest NJ Straight Line diagram package gives insight to what the old route officially became: US 322 Business, which is appropriate for this section.  However, no signage was ever installed for the route.

It's a bit significant in that NJ has usually refrained from designating business routes.  Per the SLDs, there are only 3 in the state (state and US Hwy designated routes):  US 1, NJ 33, and US 322.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/00000322B_-.pdf

The entire route is county-maintained... including the part with 45, interestingly. Wouldn't expect to see this one signed on the county's dime. Now the question is, who will win the argument of where 536 goes? The state just considers it concurrent with 322.

NJRoadfan

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 19, 2015, 06:39:27 PM
According to Gloucester 536 hasn't changed..... yet.

http://www.gloucestercountynj.gov/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=3882
http://www.gloucestercountynj.gov/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=3927

Per the 3927 link, the bypass is 536 Alt.

Thus, if both the state SLD and the County map are correct:

Bypass: 322/536A

Original:  322B/536.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 19, 2015, 06:52:26 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 19, 2015, 06:39:27 PM
According to Gloucester 536 hasn't changed..... yet.

http://www.gloucestercountynj.gov/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=3882
http://www.gloucestercountynj.gov/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=3927

Per the 3927 link, the bypass is 536 Alt.

Thus, if both the state SLD and the County map are correct:

Bypass: 322/536A

Original:  322B/536.
They also have 536 ending at the Swedesboro line, which is incorrect. Which is why I said, "let's see who wins."

02 Park Ave

This is Work Zone Awareness Week on our state highways.
C-o-H

odditude

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 24, 2015, 02:06:20 PM
...and trust me, we're painfully aware they're working.

SteveG1988

Quote from: odditude on March 24, 2015, 05:29:57 PM

To be followed by PotHole awarness afternoon

And then the burnt out lighting awarness hour
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

J Route Z

Quote from: SteveG1988 on March 29, 2015, 11:11:25 AM
Quote from: odditude on March 24, 2015, 05:29:57 PM

To be followed by PotHole awarness afternoon

And then the burnt out lighting awarness hour

Not to mention cranky cop Monday (Ticket Blitz Monday)

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.73871,-74.07302,3a,75y,98.85h,79.54t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sL-2hCKhzZ3Tou3fxzWwBRw!2e0
I was just cruising the GSV and I noticed that the Google Car has been on the Pulaski Skyway since its reconstruction project started last year.  I am impressed that the NB side had its original concrete parapet removed in the caption above, as it has always been nice to see construction of the 1930 era which there is not too much left these days. 

Anyway, I think it is cool that GSV was around in the past year to give us all who have not been in New Jersey the past year of some of the progress being made there.  The Skyway is one of my most favorite bridges to admire despite being dangerous to drive with narrow lanes and left side ramps and no merge areas with very limited site distances in those entrance areas as well as the curve on the Newark end going NB.

It will give me something to look forward to the next time I visit New Jersey as it should be nice when completed. 

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

I noticed that GMSV has some updated 2014 photos of Newark Airport roadways as well. Classic nostalgia being able to read those signs again.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.711038,-74.310569,3a,75y,202.88h,82.85t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s7jaBPzWPcE7eNn6ssPRzlA!2e0
Above is the image from GSV of Church Mall in Springfield, NJ that is a dead end street, but, as you see, on the traffic light pole has a little green sign giving out directions for WB NJ 124 and around the corner Mountain Avenue.  To me I always wondered why that sign is there for a street with no traffic, however not much to ever lose sleep over.

Anyway,  I was just visiting historic aerials and saw what Springfield, NJ looked like in 1966.  Apparently I-78 was just being constructed through Springfield and Union County Route 577 had a different alignment on its home stretch to NJ 24, which is now NJ 124.  It used what is now Church Mall and Main Street never intersected the present day one way pair of Springfield and Maple Avenues.  It deviated from itself on Taft just north of the I-78 bridge and continued across what is now the freeway into Church Mall and ended at Morris Avenue.

What you see basically in the GSV link above is remnants of when CR 577 came into this particular intersection.  Also, when I was a child I remember seeing an old white square CR 509 SPUR shield along the section of South Springfield Avenue that is not part of CR 509 SPUR, which always made me think then it was erroneous.  However, with Westfield being control city on the sign on GSV here, it would make sense that the sign was not an error. 

County Route 509 SPUR stayed on South Springfield Avenue where it deviates from Meisel Avenue and continued to its end at Mountain Avenue to follow Mountain until Morris Avenue.  So both CR 577 and CR 509 SPUR still met then, but just at another location.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

I'm going to state the entire post below in one sentence: Church Mall in Springfield, NJ is the former through route of Main St. (CR 577) from Millburn before I-78.

I only clicked to play Pacman. Brutal. Couldn't get to a whole row of dots.

Quote from: roadman65 on March 31, 2015, 04:37:56 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.711038,-74.310569,3a,75y,202.88h,82.85t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s7jaBPzWPcE7eNn6ssPRzlA!2e0
Above is the image from GSV of Church Mall in Springfield, NJ that is a dead end street, but, as you see, on the traffic light pole has a little green sign giving out directions for WB NJ 124 and around the corner Mountain Avenue.  To me I always wondered why that sign is there for a street with no traffic, however not much to ever lose sleep over.

Anyway,  I was just visiting historic aerials and saw what Springfield, NJ looked like in 1966.  Apparently I-78 was just being constructed through Springfield and Union County Route 577 had a different alignment on its home stretch to NJ 24, which is now NJ 124.  It used what is now Church Mall and Main Street never intersected the present day one way pair of Springfield and Maple Avenues.  It deviated from itself on Taft just north of the I-78 bridge and continued across what is now the freeway into Church Mall and ended at Morris Avenue.

What you see basically in the GSV link above is remnants of when CR 577 came into this particular intersection.  Also, when I was a child I remember seeing an old white square CR 509 SPUR shield along the section of South Springfield Avenue that is not part of CR 509 SPUR, which always made me think then it was erroneous.  However, with Westfield being control city on the sign on GSV here, it would make sense that the sign was not an error. 

County Route 509 SPUR stayed on South Springfield Avenue where it deviates from Meisel Avenue and continued to its end at Mountain Avenue to follow Mountain until Morris Avenue.  So both CR 577 and CR 509 SPUR still met then, but just at another location.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.