News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

It would have been nice if the signs had included an End US 46 on them.

roadman65

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 20, 2023, 01:03:14 PM

The problem is the PANYNJ seem to have forgotten that US Route exist  along with I-95 on the GWB and it's approaches.

Even NJDOT to an extent as the Route 4 ramp to the upper level just lists I-95 despite the access to the lower level does include both US 1 and US 9 on it.

Plus on the US 1/9/46 triplex there are no shields of reassurance on that particular overlap either.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: roadman65 on October 20, 2023, 05:23:10 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 20, 2023, 01:03:14 PM

The problem is the PANYNJ seem to have forgotten that US Route exist  along with I-95 on the GWB and it's approaches.

Even NJDOT to an extent as the Route 4 ramp to the upper level just lists I-95 despite the access to the lower level does include both US 1 and US 9 on it.

Plus on the US 1/9/46 triplex there are no shields of reassurance on that particular overlap either.

On the I-95 NB off ramp to W 178 St had a US-9 shield but according to GSV that's now gone
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Ted$8roadFan

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

storm2k

Had a chance to drive 195 basically end to end (east to west) today. Here are some pictures of new sign structures I captured:

They completely forgot the 1 Mile distance indicator on the sign for Exit 21. Also, I'd prefer if 526 came before 527 on that sign. I love that The Exit 22 sign is for two unincorporated parts of larger townships.

I know the Exit 16 sign is a replace-in-kind for what came before, but I'd still prefer if Six Flags came below the two control cities and had a brown background since it's an attraction, and not a city. Also, putting up a sign for an exit that's 5 miles away is very ISTHA-esque.

Always loved the names on this exit. Two more unincorporated areas. Did you know there are three Coxs Corners in NJ? I didn't. Also another advance sign that's more than 2 miles distant.

One thing you see in all of these is that older NJ thing where they put "County" on the bottom of the shield without naming the county in the top part. At this point, just leave the pentagon shape with the route number and omit writing out any of it if you're not going to put up a straight spec county shield, NJDOT!

It is nice to see a 95 shield here. Years ago there wasn't one and the sign referred to the Del Mem Br.

Just sharing this one because look how nice it is to see real control cities for an NJDOT issue NJ Turnpike interchange sign. More of this, please!

Having Hamilton Square fully written out on two lines makes this sign flow in a weird way. I would have made it wider enough to just squeeze in the Sq abbreviation on the same line.

The 206 exit continues to get street names only instead of control cities.

jeffandnicole

195 has always been, and always will be, where NJDOT's weirdest people are assigned. "Just go have fun, we'll approve it" are what the chiefs must say.

You'll see a few questionable signs and designs on other highways, but nothing like what is found on 195.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 04, 2023, 08:19:44 AM
195 has always been, and always will be, where NJDOT's weirdest people are assigned. "Just go have fun, we'll approve it" are what the chiefs must say.

You'll see a few questionable signs and designs on other highways, but nothing like what is found on 195.

Does NJDOT even do BGS design in house or are they done by consultants?

plain

Exits being posted in excess of 2 miles are usually found on toll roads, which of course I-195 has never been.

I will never like Camden being used as a control city for the Turnpike. For all that, might as well list Philadelphia instead, since they actually placed I-95 on the sign anyway.
Newark born, Richmond bred

storm2k

These are actually pretty good given what we're getting on other roads, especially on 440 in Perth Amboy.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on November 05, 2023, 12:56:17 PM

These are actually pretty good given what we're getting on other roads, especially on 440 in Perth Amboy.

How about the ACE? Is the South Jersey Transportation Authority ever going to replace all the guide signs on the Expressway? To this day most signs are still upper case with out of date controls not up to current demands. The Exit 7 cloverleaf needs better signs and to cut back on the several control cities EB for SB and remove the Exit 7N PARKWAY NORTH guide EB for NB.

Plus swap New York for Toms River to comply with the NJTA using Toms River north of Atlantic City and make the US 9 exit have the same control cities both East and West instead of using Pleasantville ( EB) and Smithfield- Northfield (WB).  Then Exit 2 should be US 40/322
East Black Horse Pike and not US 40/322 Atlantic City via Blackhorse Pike.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on November 05, 2023, 12:56:17 PM

Yeah there's an error or two there but nothing really bad.

NJRoadfan

Some local road updates. Bonnie Burn Rd. in Watchung Boro, Somerset County, was maintained by neighboring Union County for nearly 100 years. I don't know the history behind it, but it was certainly an interesting quirk of the local roadway network. Best I can guess is that it was maintained as an access road for Runnells Hospital. As of October it is now officially Somerset CR-695 and signs have been posted.

Resolution R23-1938 details the new route here: https://www.co.somerset.nj.us/home/showpublisheddocument/52551/638337736742570000

It should be noted that Union County still maintains Plainfield Ave. north of there as CR-641, which crosses the county line a few times. So you still have one county maintaining routes in another county.

roadman65

Has NJDOT  replaced the firm they fired to widen the rest of US 206 from the new bypass to where the four lane ends in Hillsborough?

I was reading a news article that the state let Konkus out of their contract due to bad publicity within that company and another article says that the state hasn't come up with a plan to replace the NS Railroad overpass and it could be until 2027 until US 206 is four lanes from the Somerville Circle to the Bypass and the initial work from Browns Road to Camplain Way is still being figured out as Hillsborough Township leaders are pushing to get it done due to safety concerns.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 12, 2023, 05:37:31 PM
Some local road updates. Bonnie Burn Rd. in Watchung Boro, Somerset County, was maintained by neighboring Union County for nearly 100 years. I don't know the history behind it, but it was certainly an interesting quirk of the local roadway network. Best I can guess is that it was maintained as an access road for Runnells Hospital. As of October it is now officially Somerset CR-695 and signs have been posted.

Resolution R23-1938 details the new route here: https://www.co.somerset.nj.us/home/showpublisheddocument/52551/638337736742570000

It should be noted that Union County still maintains Plainfield Ave. north of there as CR-641, which crosses the county line a few times. So you still have one county maintaining routes in another county.

Time for these unique signs to be retired. Union County continuing to maintain Plainfield Ave makes sense, as it does jump back and forth between the two counties.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2023, 09:49:18 PM
Has NJDOT  replaced the firm they fired to widen the rest of US 206 from the new bypass to where the four lane ends in Hillsborough?

I was reading a news article that the state let Konkus out of their contract due to bad publicity within that company and another article says that the state hasn't come up with a plan to replace the NS Railroad overpass and it could be until 2027 until US 206 is four lanes from the Somerville Circle to the Bypass and the initial work from Browns Road to Camplain Way is still being figured out as Hillsborough Township leaders are pushing to get it done due to safety concerns.

Sounds like they have not named a new firm, yet. I don't know if the lawsuits from Konkus have slowed this down. However, there has been at least a small bit of movement as NJDOT started working with PSEG to relocate some utility poles through part of the project area. It's not much, but at least it's something. Sounds like there's a lot of finger pointing and obviously a lot of frustration by local government and businesses in Hillsborough, as driving through there is unpleasant with no end in site, instead of being in hopefully the final phases of construction.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2tUV9tsvGQ57rXxs8
Noticed that along Plainfield Avenue at Drift Road in Watchung, that there is a Union County traffic signal erected there despite Watchung being part of Somerset County.

Union County adopted their own style of mast arm that has been aesthetically pleasing to them and the public and this is their design. So it holds true that Plainfield Avenue is still Union County maintained.

However, I wonder if the Boro of Watchung is maintaining Drift Road despite it being part of the ramp system that connects I-78 to Plainfield Avenue which NJDOT should really be responsible for.

Sheryl Crowe

CrystalWalrein

Quote from: roadman65 on November 06, 2023, 06:35:34 PM
How about the ACE? Is the South Jersey Transportation Authority ever going to replace all the guide signs on the Expressway? To this day most signs are still upper case with out of date controls not up to current demands. The Exit 7 cloverleaf needs better signs and to cut back on the several control cities EB for SB and remove the Exit 7N PARKWAY NORTH guide EB for NB.

There actually aren't that many all-caps signs left. SJTA have been replacing them piecemeal with more MUTCD-compliant signage, but they're quite flimsy and still rely on nearly all-wood supports. These are expected to be replaced with gantries when the Atlantic City Expressway is widened past exit 31. The signage near the Garden State Parkway hasn't been replaced, but they anticipate a flyover being built in the future.

Also, back in 2020 the SJTA started sharing responsibility for maintaining US 30 and I-676 with NJDOT and have even erected their own signage on both roads. From the language in the board meeting minutes, it seems like SJTA might take on full responsibility for both roads in the future.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CrystalWalrein on November 13, 2023, 02:17:45 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 06, 2023, 06:35:34 PM

There actually aren't that many all-caps signs left. SJTA have been replacing them piecemeal with more MUTCD-compliant signage, but they're quite flimsy and still rely on nearly all-wood supports. These are expected to be replaced with gantries when the Atlantic City Expressway is widened past exit 31. The signage near the Garden State Parkway hasn't been replaced, but they anticipate a flyover being built in the future.

Here's one such example: https://maps.app.goo.gl/PPBfcnVwLpXdSeF96

roadman65

The Garden State Parkway interchange has a lot to be desired in the signage. The overhead gantry eastbound at Exit 7S lacks a NB Exit 7N panel and gives the impression that there is only a SB exit as the pull through says Thru Traffic like it don't have another ramp ahead.

Overall the whole expressway needs a sign overhaul and Exit 2 needs to amend that it only connects to EB US 40/322 and not both directions as it don't unless you count the High School cloverleaf U Turn.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/hEm5uJZEKajRHoPZ7
Plus the supplemental sign being overhead is not only Non MUTCD, but it's got way too much information.  Plus with the at exit guide being removed ( no doubt knocked down), this appears to be the main guide lacking an exit tab.   And why is a hotel name a control city here?

Oh yes the pull through listing a gambling winning jackpot? Looks more like a billboard than a guide sign. The ACE guides are a joke.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

You got that right roadman65 ! The one time I ever drove the whole length of the ACE back in 2011, I was amazed at the bad non-MUTCD signage. Never seen that anywhere else in modern times on a major road like that. Even New York City with all its issues has pretty good MUTCD signage including on its older roads.

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on November 13, 2023, 08:29:46 PM
You got that right roadman65 ! The one time I ever drove the whole length of the ACE back in 2011, I was amazed at the bad non-MUTCD signage. Never seen that anywhere else in modern times on a major road like that. Even New York City with all its issues has pretty good MUTCD signage including on its older roads.

And no upgrades. Maybe a sign here or two. The EB exit for US 9 is as close to norm as it gets as it was an added ramp as originally the US 9 exchange was a half diamond from the east.  That is why the mismatching control cities as Pleasantville is used EB while Smithfield and Northfield going WB.  The engineer who expanded the US 9 exit, felt Pleasantville was good choice, but the original expressway designers felt that using Smithfield / Northfield was good to satisfy a need for both directions( as The Parkway already was constructed serving the further cities on US 9 already) at the time.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on November 14, 2023, 02:24:16 AM
Quote from: SignBridge on November 13, 2023, 08:29:46 PM

And no upgrades. Maybe a sign here or two. The EB exit for US 9 is as close to norm as it gets as it was an added ramp as originally the US 9 exchange was a half diamond from the east.  That is why the mismatching control cities as Pleasantville is used EB while Smithfield and Northfield going WB.  The engineer who expanded the US 9 exit, felt Pleasantville was good choice, but the original expressway designers felt that using Smithfield / Northfield was good to satisfy a need for both directions( as The Parkway already was constructed serving the further cities on US 9 already) at the time.

Another overlooked MUTCD issue: Exit numbers go Westbound, not Eastbound.

Other upgrades:
Interchange 9, from a partial to full interchange.
Interchange 17, from a partial to full interchange.
Interchange 41, built new about 20 years ago.
Widening of the Expressway from Exit 7 to 31.
Addition of a 2nd gas station/convenience store near AC.
Addition of a welcome center near AC (since closed).
Construction of express toll lanes.
Construction of the ACX Connector.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.