News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longest county/parish/city-maintained roads?

Started by formulanone, October 04, 2013, 12:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

I've always been curious which one of these "lesser" routes are some of the longest. I know Florida has quite a few >20 mile county routes that were former state routes (or secondary routes), but there's got to be some out west, some old alignments, or some obscure ones out there.

Does San Bernardino County Road 66 essentially win this one? Or are there even longer inter-county routes with the same number?

agentsteel53

probably 66 takes it.  the question is: what is the second-longest county route in the US?

I believe long segments of AZ-66 have been relinquished by the state...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Depends whether short overlaps with state routes disqualify it. CR 519 in New Jersey is 88.5 miles, but has a few overlaps.

CR 66, by the way, is 140 miles between the I-40 overlap and US 95. But there is probably some state maintenance at the I-40 interchanges along the way.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dgolub

Quote from: NE2 on October 04, 2013, 12:52:18 PM
Depends whether short overlaps with state routes disqualify it. CR 519 in New Jersey is 88.5 miles, but has a few overlaps.

New Jersey has a whole network of 500 series county routes that go through multiple counties keeping the same route numbers.  Most of them are more than 20 miles long.

On Long Island, Suffolk CR 80 (Montauk Highway) is 32.50 miles long.  Back when Nassau had signed county routes, CR 1 had a semicircular route that was substantially longer than the distance between the two most distant points in the county!  It was definitely well over 20 miles long.  The current Nassau CR 1, which is a piece of the original CR 1, is nowhere near as long.

Dr Frankenstein

James Bay Road (Route de la Baie-James) in the municipality of the same name, in Québec.

620 km, 385¼ miles.

Roadgeek Adam

On another NY example. Otsego 18 is ~34 miles.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

hotdogPi

Not numbered, but Golden Road in Maine goes from Millinocket to the Canadian border, which is 95.7 miles long.

http://goo.gl/maps/LuwfX
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webfil

Quote from: 1 on October 04, 2013, 08:21:49 PM
Not numbered, but Golden Road in Maine goes from Millinocket to the Canadian border, which is 95.7 miles long.

http://goo.gl/maps/LuwfX

Isn't that more like a private NMW road?

getemngo

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 04, 2013, 07:22:36 PM
James Bay Road (Route de la Baie-James) in the municipality of the same name, in Québec.

620 km, 385¼ miles.

Trans-Taiga Road, also in Québec (though spanning two counties), 666 km.

But NE2's right... this can get pretty subjective. Do small gaps and overlaps count? Does it have to be in one county? Does one continuous roadway count, if it's unnumbered and goes through multiple names?
~ Sam from Michigan

formulanone

I guess anything that gives it a consistent name or number (thus, representing continuity) would suffice.

I mentioned inter-county routes as a possible example.

webfil

Quote from: getemngo on October 04, 2013, 10:05:20 PM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 04, 2013, 07:22:36 PM

620 km, 385¼ miles.

Trans-Taiga Road, also in Québec (though spanning two counties), 666 km.

It is the SEBJ (Baie-James municipality) that maintains the road, even though it dips into MRC Caniapiscau for its last 12 kilometres.

froggie

If inter-county routes are included, Minnesota likely has a fair number of them that would be decent in length.  For single county, the two that stand out are Cook CSAH 12 (the "Gunflint Trail", about 56 miles), and Lake CSAH 2 (running straight north from Two Harbors to MN 1, just over 45 miles).

dgolub

Quote from: formulanone on October 04, 2013, 10:57:55 PM
I guess anything that gives it a consistent name or number (thus, representing continuity) would suffice.

I mentioned inter-county routes as a possible example.

If a consistent name does the trick, then it's probably worth mentioning Montauk Highway on Long Island, which is something like 90 miles long.  It goes through nothing short of four different state and county route numbers, NY 27A, CR 85, CR 80, and NY 27, as well as some town- and village-maintained sections.  Back before 1972, it used to be just NY 27A and NY 27, entirely a state route, but then they decommissioned most of NY 27A and made a mess of it.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mapman1071

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 04, 2013, 12:31:24 PM
probably 66 takes it.  the question is: what is the second-longest county route in the US?

AZ66 Is matained and signed only by the state from I-40 (Andy Devine Avenue) In Kingman to East end of Seligman (AZ66 does not continue SW of I-40 or E of Seligman (AZ66 does not return to I-40).

Alps

Quote from: mapman1071 on October 06, 2013, 06:19:11 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 04, 2013, 12:31:24 PM

AZ66 Is matained and signed only by the state from I-40 (Andy Devine Avenue) In Kingman to East end of Seligman (AZ66 does not continue SW of I-40 or E of Seligman (AZ66 does not return to I-40).
I shall correct your entire post now.

AZ 66 is only maintained and signed by the state from I-40 in Kingman (as Andy Devine Avenue) to the Coconino County line. AZ 66 does not continue southwest of I-40 in Kingman or east of the Coconino County line to Seligman - so it does not return to I-40.

Also, this has nothing to do with county or city maintained roads, as you're referring to a state route. You reported one of my posts for being on the wrong "bord" despite it actually being completely relevant, and then you go off topic? I'm watching you.

twinsfan87

Quote from: froggie on October 05, 2013, 01:42:06 AM
If inter-county routes are included, Minnesota likely has a fair number of them that would be decent in length.  For single county, the two that stand out are Cook CSAH 12 (the "Gunflint Trail", about 56 miles), and Lake CSAH 2 (running straight north from Two Harbors to MN 1, just over 45 miles).

St. Louis County has a far amount of long north-south routes. CSAH 7 is about 53 miles, and CSAH 4 (Rice Lake Road/Vermillion Trail) is just over 60 miles. There are probably other long single-county routes in northern Minnesota as well.

MN34

I believe McLean County Highway 6 in ND is about 78 miles, not the longest but pretty long.

bulldog1979

F-97 in Michigan is just over 72 miles, about around 4 of that overlaps M-18. H-58 is just under 69 miles, so it's the longest continuous county highway in that system in Michigan. I'm just looking at a map, but if CR 426 is continuously numbered by the three counties (it may not be signed as such in Dickinson County, but it is in Marquette and Delta counties), it's just shy of H-58's length.

NWI_Irish96

24 miles of Western Avenue is maintained by the city of Chicago.  Probably not many city-maintained roads longer than that.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

sparker

In CA, multi-county route J7, exending from CA 59 north of Merced to CA 99 east of Stockton, extends some 70 miles.  At this point -- after several counties have elected not to maintain the alphanumeric county signage system and its "penta" signage -- it appears to be the longest continuously signed county route within the state.

DandyDan

One of the things that impressed me when I was looking at the Iowa map before I moved here to Mason City was the fact that county road S56 goes from the Minnesota border all the way south to IA 175 by Eldora. I believe technically it doesn't exist in the cities along the way, but it must be a 100 mile route.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.