News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 10, 2018, 03:04:20 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 10, 2018, 02:33:42 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 10, 2018, 02:21:56 AM
I hope you turned around in their driveway after getting a picture of that sign.
My driveway has a "NO TURNAROUND" sign posted at the beginning because back-out is the only option, not because we don't welcome lost strangers. Some idiot delivery drivers try to turn around in the grass to the left of our gate, but because of the slight decline from the driveway, they get stuck. We've had two Ford Transit/Amazon delivery drivers dig holes into our grass. Our gate now has a "BACK OUT ONLY" sign on it. :-D
Ha. Well, I only made my original comment because that white-on-red sign offends quite a few of my roadgeek sensibilities, not because those people might not welcome strangers. ;-)

There's this perception that those types of signs are put up because people don't want random strangers come down their driveways, which I could understand (and it's probably the case somewhat often). But from my experience, they are often put up because there literally isn't enough room at the end of the driveway to perform any sort of turnaround maneuver, so they don't want drivers even attempting to go down the driveway, because they will get stuck (lest they know how to reverse!)

J N Winkler

Quote from: jakeroot on June 10, 2018, 02:33:42 AMMy driveway has a "NO TURNAROUND" sign posted at the beginning because back-out is the only option, not because we don't welcome lost strangers. Some idiot delivery drivers try to turn around in the grass to the left of our gate, but because of the slight decline from the driveway, they get stuck. We've had two Ford Transit/Amazon delivery drivers dig holes into our grass. Our gate now has a "BACK OUT ONLY" sign on it. :-D

Can't they just back in and then drive out?  That is the approach I would try, especially if there is no turnaround loop or other means of maneuvering in and out while remaining continuously nose-forward.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 10, 2018, 10:13:12 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 10, 2018, 02:33:42 AMMy driveway has a "NO TURNAROUND" sign posted at the beginning because back-out is the only option, not because we don't welcome lost strangers. Some idiot delivery drivers try to turn around in the grass to the left of our gate, but because of the slight decline from the driveway, they get stuck. We've had two Ford Transit/Amazon delivery drivers dig holes into our grass. Our gate now has a "BACK OUT ONLY" sign on it. :-D

Can't they just back in and then drive out?  That is the approach I would try, especially if there is no turnaround loop or other means of maneuvering in and out while remaining continuously nose-forward.

Oh for sure. But the driveway is about a fifth of a mile long, so most don't think to do that straight away.

Revive 755

Not sure this 'except on [white arrow on green circle]' sign from Naperville, IL has been posted yet.  There's a near side one for WB traffic as well.

(and I have experienced multiple times elsewhere in Chicagoland the same quality of drivers that probably led to the installation of this sign).

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 13, 2018, 06:36:09 PM
Not sure this 'except on [white arrow on green circle]' sign from Naperville, IL has been posted yet.  There's a near side one for WB traffic as well.

That's gotta be the first time I've ever seen all signal heads in one particular direction be five-section towers. For WB Bailey Rd, there's two heads on the mast arm, one mast mounted corner head, and a near-side head, and all are five-section heads.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 13, 2018, 06:49:23 PM

That's gotta be the first time I've ever seen all signal heads in one particular direction be five-section towers. For WB Bailey Rd, there's two heads on the mast arm, one mast mounted corner head, and a near-side head, and all are five-section heads.

Yeah, that's pretty unusual! I know from looking around Chicagoland on street view, if there was going to be a part of the country with more than two (or all) 5-section signals on an approach, it would be in Illinois. Just about every intersection has some sort of right turn filter. I have never seen a right turn yield in that state.

roadman65

Quote from: jakeroot on June 13, 2018, 07:06:25 PM

Yeah, that's pretty unusual! I know from looking around Chicagoland on street view, if there was going to be a part of the country with more than two (or all) 5-section signals on an approach, it would be in Illinois. Just about every intersection has some sort of right turn filter. I have never seen a right turn yield in that state.
Its introverted lol!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Revive 755

They are a few in Illinois; there was a thread on it

Max Rockatansky

Noticed this outline US 101 shield on a BGS in Mountain View today.  Caltrans mostly posts solid white US Route shields on BGSs:

101USk by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 13, 2018, 10:24:28 PM

They are a few in Illinois; there was a thread on it

Ah, so there are. Interesting that IDOT prefers signalised right turns. Most states seem to prefer right turns at intersection's, or slip lanes with yield signs, not a combo of the two.

bzakharin

Somehow I don't find this reassuring.

One of the other signs in the area has only "detour" blacked out on a "detour ahead".

thefraze_1020

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 13, 2018, 11:59:35 PM
Noticed this outline US 101 shield on a BGS in Mountain View today.  Caltrans mostly posts solid white US Route shields on BGSs:

101USk by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

That's because that sign is an old spec. I believe that dates to about 1960. The patch above the shield used to say "Bypass". When the 101 freeway was first opened between SF and San Jose, it was US 101 Bypass and El Camino Real was US 101 mainline. The switch came in 1964, likely when the patch was put up. Outline US shields are getting pretty rare in California.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

paulthemapguy

A "No Trespassing" sign for a private residence, the installation of which is a trespass on county ROW.

20180524_104841 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jay8g

I feel like this could be a candidate for Worst Of, but I'm vaguely afraid to post there.

I know it's greenout, but clearly Oklahoma doesn't have a monopoly on crazy mixed font sizes and cases...

Alaska State
FAIRGround

Also, I don't have any idea what the greenout could be covering.

GenExpwy

Quote from: jay8g on June 15, 2018, 09:18:12 PM
I feel like this could be a candidate for Worst Of, but I'm vaguely afraid to post there.

I know it's greenout, but clearly Oklahoma doesn't have a monopoly on crazy mixed font sizes and cases...

Alaska State
FAIRGround

Also, I don't have any idea what the greenout could be covering.

I have a suspicion it was two words: Fair Ground.

Scott5114

From the road sign game:
Quote from: TBKS1 on June 15, 2018, 04:13:42 PM
Madrid >> Dyersburg (Tennessee)

I-55 (MO) Exit 17A/B & 19 by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

I know MoDOT is the master of awkward arrow placement, but this takes the cake!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

akotchi

Under the "interesting" category, I offer the following:

As part of the ongoing change of I-95 in New Jersey and Pennsylvania to I-295, contractors have been systematically changing exit numbers and route numbers, while also correcting control cities here and there.  Another thread captures the gory details, so I will just concentrate on this context.

For a short time, the weekend of June 9 and 10, the following sign sequence was visible.  The left photo is on I-295 WB (former I-95 SB) at the U.S. 1 interchange in Langhorne, PA.  The BGS reflects the new information -- exit number and control city changed (from Morrisville).  Following the cloverleaf loop ramp the BGS points to leads to the right photo, which is on U.S. 1 NB, with the I-295 overpass in the background.  The BGS still reflected the old information -- route and control city.  So . . . guidance to Trenton was a u-turn movement for that short interval -- though considering one would be leaving the Trenton area to pass through this sequence, it probably would not have been a big deal.  The sign has been replaced in the last week with I-295 East/Princeton.  (The right photo is actually GMSV since I did not catch it before it was replaced, but I can vouch that this sign combination did exist for a short time.)

As this is near my home and I go through this area frequently, I find these types of interim conditions during resigning projects (especially when not carbon copy replacements) to be interesting . . .

Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

plain

All of us should ignore GPS lmao

This is White Oak Rd beginning at Williamsburg Rd (US 60) in eastern Henrico Co, Va. There are other ignore GPS signs on Williamsburg Rd itself approaching White Oak. None of these signs are on Street View yet (but other truck warning signs are), I'm thinking they are under a year old

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

TBKS1

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 16, 2018, 06:11:05 AM
From the road sign game:
Quote from: TBKS1 on June 15, 2018, 04:13:42 PM
Madrid >> Dyersburg (Tennessee)

I-55 (MO) Exit 17A/B & 19 by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

I know MoDOT is the master of awkward arrow placement, but this takes the cake!

That took me forever to figure out. I had no idea about that arrow until you said it. lol
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

MCRoads

Quote from: plain on June 16, 2018, 03:21:20 PM
All of us should ignore GPS lmao

This is White Oak Rd beginning at Williamsburg Rd (US 60) in eastern Henrico Co, Va. There are other ignore GPS signs on Williamsburg Rd itself approaching White Oak. None of these signs are on Street View yet (but other truck warning signs are), I'm thinking they are under a year old

SM-S820L
NY NEEEEDS these, as apperently it is a common occurrence to have high trucks ram bridges there....
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: MCRoads on June 16, 2018, 06:41:35 PM
NY NEEEEDS these, as apperently it is a common occurrence to have high trucks ram bridges there....

More signs will not solve the problem of trucks ignoring signs...

Signage on most NY parkways has been recently updated and is more than sufficient–some trucks will *always* drive onto prohibited roads unless you can physically exclude them.

bzakharin

If they included "Ignore GPS" on BGS exit and entrance signs, GPS would actually read it to the driver (possibly). That might work at the expense of MUCD compliance.

PHLBOS

Quote from: akotchi on June 16, 2018, 11:04:01 AM
Under the "interesting" category, I offer the following:

As part of the ongoing change of I-95 in New Jersey and Pennsylvania to I-295, contractors have been systematically changing exit numbers and route numbers, while also correcting control cities here and there.  Another thread captures the gory details, so I will just concentrate on this context.

For a short time, the weekend of June 9 and 10, the following sign sequence was visible.  The left photo is on I-295 WB (former I-95 SB) at the U.S. 1 interchange in Langhorne, PA.  The BGS reflects the new information -- exit number and control city changed (from Morrisville).  Following the cloverleaf loop ramp the BGS points to leads to the right photo, which is on U.S. 1 NB, with the I-295 overpass in the background.  The BGS still reflected the old information -- route and control city.  So . . . guidance to Trenton was a u-turn movement for that short interval -- though considering one would be leaving the Trenton area to pass through this sequence, it probably would not have been a big deal.  The sign has been replaced in the last week with I-295 East/Princeton.  (The right photo is actually GMSV since I did not catch it before it was replaced, but I can vouch that this sign combination did exist for a short time.)

As this is near my home and I go through this area frequently, I find these types of interim conditions during resigning projects (especially when not carbon copy replacements) to be interesting . . .

Personally, I am very surprised that that particular BGS for I-95 northbound wasn't changed to list Princeton when its companion BGS along US 1 southbound was changed many years (if not a decade) ago.

Additionally & IMHO, changing the US 1 northbound control city from Morrisville to Trenton is more important for the BGS' along I-95 northbound (future I-295 eastbound) than it is from the opposite direction... most of that traffic is coming from the surrounding Trenton area.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

oscar

From last week's day trip, an interesting sign entering the little village of Esmont VA (better than the unoriginal "Drive Like Your Children Live Here" signs I saw elsewhere in the village):

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

csw

I see that on variable-message signs in the Chicago area quite often.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.