News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadwarriors79

So when is the NJTA going to sign I-95 along more of the Turnpike? Are they waiting until August?

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on April 24, 2018, 07:26:46 PMSo when is the NJTA going to sign I-95 along more of the Turnpike? Are they waiting until August?
The newer sign replacements have I-95 shields as far south as Exit 9 (US 1/NJ 18).  South of there; it's still inconsistent, some of the ramp signs beyond the toll booths have them (Exits 8A & 8) while some of them don't (Exits 7A, 7 & 6).

I've said such before & I'll state it again; IMHO there's no reason/excuse for NJTA to wait until August to sign I-95 along the Turnpike north of Exit 7A (I-195).  Such could've been done as far back as the early 1990s when I-195 was extended to the then-just-northern piece of I-295.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 25, 2018, 09:29:55 AM
Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on April 24, 2018, 07:26:46 PMSo when is the NJTA going to sign I-95 along more of the Turnpike? Are they waiting until August?
The newer sign replacements have I-95 shields as far south as Exit 9 (US 1/NJ 18).  South of there; it's still inconsistent, some of the ramp signs beyond the toll booths have them (Exits 8A & 8) while some of them don't (Exits 7A, 7 & 6).

I've said such before & I'll state it again; IMHO there's no reason/excuse for NJTA to wait until August to sign I-95 along the Turnpike north of Exit 7A (I-195).  Such could've been done as far back as the early 1990s when I-195 was extended to the then-just-northern piece of I-295.

Glancing around the NJ Turnpike website, it seems silent on when they'll add or uncover 95 to existing signage or install new signage.  They weren't included on the overall timeframe that was part of the NJDOT, PennDOT & PTC Press Release earlier as well.

So...my guess will be summertime or later.

SignBridge

I think the NJTA has a natural resistance to thinking of themselves as part of a larger highway system. They kind of of exist in their own little NJ Turnpike World or they did for many years anyway. Ya' know, first there is the premier New Jersey Turnpike, and then there's all the other roads. LOL

roadman65

Well NJTA had some great ideas, but other road agencies never copied them.  Hence the longer and thicker lane striping (although Indiana for their toll road, I think, uses it), the large Exit Numbers within the sign, and even changeable speed limit signage.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

AMLNet49

Quote from: SignBridge on April 25, 2018, 08:42:08 PM
I think the NJTA has a natural resistance to thinking of themselves as part of a larger highway system. They kind of of exist in their own little NJ Turnpike World or they did for many years anyway. Ya' know, first there is the premier New Jersey Turnpike, and then there's all the other roads. LOL
I'm not sure what's so "LOL" about this. The NJTA invented many of the current singing and marking standards, along with CalTrans. Those organizations have always felt they had senior status because even the Feds are their junior.

Most of the other toll road agencies also had these grandfather rights to have the liberty of setting their some of own signage and marking standards. There were even state DOTs (besides caltrans) that were as old or older than the feds which would have some of their own unique standards. This group includes the sequential numbering states. However these two groups were usually closer to federal standards and less belligerent about it than the NJTA/Caltans

Two things happened in the 2000s to change that:
1) At some point in the 2000s leading up to the 2009 MUTCD, new blood came into the feds that decided they were tired of being bullied around by the state DOTs and toll road agencies. They embarked on a long-range program over the course of at least 10-15 years to try and bring all signage in the country into line with a federal design standard, with milage based exit numbers being universal. There is essentially a set of requirements that all state DOT's and toll road agencies must follow on their signage, which leaves the room to be different at an absolute minimum. Some states like Connecticut and many others have totally dropped their own designs and just adopted the federal standard.

This program has involved even Caltrans and the NJTA (both kicking and screaming all the way), but essentially the feds decided to assert their power for the first time. They basically gave a middle finger to the "holier than thou" attitude which generated the respect which had provided the NJTA and Caltrans with leverage for all those years.

and in the same time frame
2) Several of the toll road agencies began to be exposed as not being, in fact, as squeaky clean and self-sufficient as they had always claimed. The agencies were exposed as enormously corrupt and states began to realize they needed more state oversight and didnt need to be autonomous. As they began to be folded into state DOTs (who are largely more MUTCD compliant than toll roads), or at least be held more accountable to the state government, some of these unique standards have been dropped. The "holier than thou" bubble was burst and state and federal reps started asking themselves, "Why again are these guys allowed to just do whatever they want? Because theyre grandfathered in? At some point its just an excuse to avoid oversight"

02 Park Ave

Is Mothers' Day still the busiest day of the year on the Turnpike??
C-o-H

Alps

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on May 08, 2018, 10:00:30 AM
Is Mothers' Day still the busiest day of the year on the Turnpike??
Busiest day from April 2013 to April 2014 was April 17, 2014. Second highest was the next weekend, April 24. These are not Mothers' Day.
(Next two: June 20 and August 15. So no, no pattern other than relatively warm Thursdays.)

Rothman

Always thought it was the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.  At least, it was one year when the toll takers were telling my family years ago that it was a record-breaking day.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

It always seemed the Sunday after Thanksgiving was one of the busiest days on the highway.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 08, 2018, 11:23:49 PM
It always seemed the Sunday after Thanksgiving was one of the busiest days on the highway.
Well, what's busiest? Peak hour, or 24 hours? I only looked at the total of 24 hours. Peak hour would be similar on any day with congestion, since that means you've hit roadway capacity. Are you only looking on the southern Turnpike, or the entire roadway? North, south, or both? I considered the total of all trips in both directions.

02 Park Ave

Thank you, Alps, for your research.

I guess that  here in South Jersey we think of "busiest" as being around holidays because of all the NYC-DC through traffic at those weekends.  But north of Exit 9 every day is certainly busy.
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on May 08, 2018, 11:35:51 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 08, 2018, 11:23:49 PM
Well, what's busiest? Peak hour, or 24 hours? I only looked at the total of 24 hours. Peak hour would be similar on any day with congestion, since that means you've hit roadway capacity. Are you only looking on the southern Turnpike, or the entire roadway? North, south, or both? I considered the total of all trips in both directions.

Whatever makes my answer right is the time period I was considering! Lol

Now, I know that what may 'seem' like a busy day may be not truly the busiest day. Motorists on the Sunday after Thanksgiving aren't regular travelers on the Turnpike. They may be driving slower. They may be hogging the left lane.  They may slow down because they're confused and looking for their next exit, even though they're on a stretch of highway that for 14 miles doesn't have a single exit (Between 2 and 3). When they get to the toll plaza, they have no clue what they're doing or what they're paying, further increasing traffic congestion.

qguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 09, 2018, 08:33:42 AM
Whatever makes my answer right is the time period I was considering! Lol

Now, I know that what may 'seem' like a busy day may be not truly the busiest day. Motorists on the Sunday after Thanksgiving aren't regular travelers on the Turnpike. They may be driving slower. They may be hogging the left lane.  They may slow down because they're confused and looking for their next exit, even though they're on a stretch of highway that for 14 miles doesn't have a single exit (Between 2 and 3). When they get to the toll plaza, they have no clue what they're doing or what they're paying, further increasing traffic congestion.

I once drove–and only because I had to–the PA Turnpike from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

Never. Again. Ever.  :ded:

Beltway

Quote from: qguy on May 11, 2018, 08:53:12 AM
I once drove–and only because I had to–the PA Turnpike from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

How congested was it?  Any actual slowdowns below the speed limit?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on May 11, 2018, 11:05:48 AM

It's a horrible day to drive. I've never driven it that day specifically, but it is often congestion in numerous places on that particular Sunday. Heck, even normal driving days there will be the occasional slowdown below 70 just because of normal traffic variations.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 12, 2018, 02:48:52 AM
It's a horrible day to drive. I've never driven it that day specifically, but it is often congestion in numerous places on that particular Sunday. Heck, even normal driving days there will be the occasional slowdown below 70 just because of normal traffic variations.

How horrible?  What would be the average speed for someone who drove the speed limit when possible?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on May 12, 2018, 07:14:47 AM

How horrible?  What would be the average speed for someone who drove the speed limit when possible?

70 mph.   :biggrin:

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 12, 2018, 07:42:12 AM
70 mph.   :biggrin:

I meant from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia, for the whole trip.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

No one keeps a statistic like that.

02 Park Ave

When I am on a long haul trip, e.g. Cherry Hill NJ to LaGrange IL, I do calculate my avarage speed.  I definitely try to maintain a 60 mph average, including stops.  It isn't easy although I may average over 70 mph for each individual driving stint.

Even during a one stint trip to the Hudson Valley I calculate my average speed frequently.

But then I am an engineer.
C-o-H

Alps

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on May 12, 2018, 09:50:58 AM
When I am on a long haul trip, e.g. Cherry Hill NJ to LaGrange IL, I do calculate my avarage speed.  I definitely try to maintain a 60 mph average, including stops.  It isn't easy although I may average over 70 mph for each individual driving stint.

Even during a one stint trip to the Hudson Valley I calculate my average speed frequently.

But then I am an engineer.
I more meant in terms of highway agencies and recoverable data. If you traveled it yourself, there's a nonzero chance.

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on May 12, 2018, 09:32:14 AM
No one keeps a statistic like that.

I wasn't asking for a statistic, just something like, "On my trip that day it took about xxx minutes to go the 305 miles between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, so that would be an average speed of about xx mph."

Not scientific but still a worthwhile data point.  I was just curious because I had thought that while busy that the rural parts of the PA Turnpike didn't have any significant congestion issues to speak of even on holidays.  That may no longer be the case.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

That's a statistic.

Well, I know there was one trip from home here in NJ to Pittsburgh that took 5 hours on the nose, but it was an uneventful Sunday afternoon. Driving at night, an accident, construction, getting gas, getting food, etc will all factor in to the overall speed. And very few people even keep the figures you're looking for, especially 6 months after the fact.

Stuff happens. Even two people driving on the same day can have drastically different times if an accident occurs between them.

Qguy already gave you a description about his travels. But you seem deadset that traffic isn't that bad in rural PA on one of the busiest travel weekends of the year because people don't write down their travel history and calculations.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 12, 2018, 04:59:14 PM
That's a statistic.
Well, I know there was one trip from home here in NJ to Pittsburgh that took 5 hours on the nose, but it was an uneventful Sunday afternoon. Driving at night, an accident, construction, getting gas, getting food, etc will all factor in to the overall speed. And very few people even keep the figures you're looking for, especially 6 months after the fact.
Stuff happens. Even two people driving on the same day can have drastically different times if an accident occurs between them.
Qguy already gave you a description about his travels. But you seem deadset that traffic isn't that bad in rural PA on one of the busiest travel weekends of the year because people don't write down their travel history and calculations.

I am not "deadset" against anything regarding the PA turnpike traffic, I was just trying to get some kind of more specific idea of what the holiday traffic is like.  He said he had a bad experience, but not with more specifics --

"I once drove–and only because I had to–the PA Turnpike from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  Never. Again. Ever."

I didn't ask just him, anyone on the forum can provide feedback as well.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.