News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Tunnel

Started by jakeroot, April 21, 2014, 06:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on November 10, 2018, 08:24:45 PM
I walked around the new Alaskan Way (now to the west of the viaduct, instead of under it), and the whole situation is a mess for pedestrians coming off the ferry. Cross the street and you have to dodge people using the parking lane without the assistance of a signal or any real help. Someone is going to get hit, especially with the darker nights right now.

Parking lanes aren't usually signalized. Does it have a stop sign, or is it one way coming towards the parking lane? An RRFB at the crossings would be wise until demolition time.

jakeroot

This new video from WSDOT's Youtube shows the signs in the tunnel. Pretty cool that the Seattle Center logo continues to be used. Also some cool info on ramp reconfigurations, and some info about a buried ramp.

https://youtu.be/bGJ9ObcP3Jg

jakeroot

The Alaskan Way/Dearborn/99 intersection is coming together:

MikeSantNY78

Bruce

A bike-thru video from earlier this year:

Bickendan

Tangentally related: The break in WA 99 through Tukwilla bothers me. If Tukwilla really didn't want 99 signed along International Blvd, WSDOT should have routed 99 along (and replaced) 518 to I-5, cosign it with I-5, and eliminated 599 (or resign the western end of 518 as 599 or put 599 on the Airport Expressway).
In fact, I may email WSDOT to see what they think of this...

jakeroot

Quote from: Bickendan on December 24, 2018, 05:32:41 AM
Tangentially related: The break in WA 99 through Tukwilla bothers me. If Tukwilla really didn't want 99 signed along International Blvd, WSDOT should have routed 99 along (and replaced) 518 to I-5, cosign it with I-5, and eliminated 599 (or resign the western end of 518 as 599 or put 599 on the Airport Expressway).

My understanding is that the Airport Expressway is maintained by the Port of Seattle (hence all the Clearview), so that will never get a highway number.

If 99 was routed onto 518 east of International Blvd, that would mean that stretch of freeway would be 5xx > 99 > 405 within a mile. Seems kind of pointless.

I think cosigning 518 and I-5 as SR-99, and then replacing 599, would be okay too. This keeps 518 and 509 the way they are now, with the only changes being a duplex instead of a gap, and the deletion of 599.

Bruce

I just finished this article on the history of SR 99, including a bit of the Tukwila saga. KUOW interviewed the state rep. who was responsible for the bill, who says that he'd rather have given Tukwila a 99-year lease to the highway instead of a full transfer (not for continuity reasons, but to preserve state ownership).

sparker

Quote from: jakeroot on December 24, 2018, 02:04:42 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on December 24, 2018, 05:32:41 AM
Tangentially related: The break in WA 99 through Tukwilla bothers me. If Tukwilla really didn't want 99 signed along International Blvd, WSDOT should have routed 99 along (and replaced) 518 to I-5, cosign it with I-5, and eliminated 599 (or resign the western end of 518 as 599 or put 599 on the Airport Expressway).

My understanding is that the Airport Expressway is maintained by the Port of Seattle (hence all the Clearview), so that will never get a highway number.

If 99 was routed onto 518 east of International Blvd, that would mean that stretch of freeway would be 5xx > 99 > 405 within a mile. Seems kind of pointless.

I think cosigning 518 and I-5 as SR-99, and then replacing 599, would be okay too. This keeps 518 and 509 the way they are now, with the only changes being a duplex instead of a gap, and the deletion of 599.
Quote from: Bruce on December 24, 2018, 05:00:59 PM
I just finished this article on the history of SR 99, including a bit of the Tukwila saga. KUOW interviewed the state rep. who was responsible for the bill, who says that he'd rather have given Tukwila a 99-year lease to the highway instead of a full transfer (not for continuity reasons, but to preserve state ownership).

A simpler solution would be to reroute WA 99 over present 599 and terminate it at the I-5 merge.  Then redesignate present WA 99 between Fife and WA 518 as something like the long-missing WA 511.  Yes, the "honorary/historical" aspect of the "99" number would be missing -- but since that process has been done elsewhere without much ado (e.g., WA 529 in and around Everett), it shouldn't cause a lot of uproar these days.   And the concept of WA 99 as an alternative to I-5 through central Seattle would be retained (and even enhanced, access-wise, by the redesignation of the present WA 599 connection).

Bruce

I think the number 511 should remain missing, given that the same number is used for the 5-1-1 hotline that is present on signage. Would be confusing to some people.

The south half could easily become SR 599, which still retains the "99" moniker and is also in line with the numbering scheme.

sparker

Quote from: Bruce on December 24, 2018, 08:24:16 PM
I think the number 511 should remain missing, given that the same number is used for the 5-1-1 hotline that is present on signage. Would be confusing to some people.

The south half could easily become SR 599, which still retains the "99" moniker and is also in line with the numbering scheme.

Hadn't thought of the "511" situation -- but your idea is probably the best solution -- just "swap" 599 and the south portion of 99.  Dan -- if and when you read this, this idea seems simpler & easier to implement than a somewhat convoluted detour of 99 over 5 and 518; you may want to consider suggesting this to WSDOT as an alternative approach.   

Bruce

ErmineNotyours

kwellada

That was a neat news story.  Admittedly I won't be shedding a tear for the viaduct being gone.  Sure, the view on the upper deck is nice, but it was a somewhat terrifying narrow road with nervous drivers as well as a deathtrap should another earthquake come along.  I'm glad the highway department will be taking it down, not another Nisqually.  Now that I live in Tacoma, I'm fairly indifferent about the tunnel, but I won't be very nostalgic about that wall of noise and traffic separating the city from the waterfront.

Kacie Jane

https://www.kiro7.com/news/viaduct-shutdown/confused-about-upcoming-changes-to-sr-99-new-tunnel-wsdot-releases-videos/897999549

There's probably a better link for these directly to WSDOT's site, but I'm lazy. Basically, WSDOT released a series of videos showing how to enter and exit the new tunnel.

It's a little odd though, that they seem to use a US 99 shield throughout.

jakeroot

That US-99 shield is certainly funny! Gotta wonder if that was intentional.

The videos are all on WSDOT's YouTube page:

https://youtu.be/4CPINQXVtbU

https://youtu.be/ldOhsVdzoPo

https://youtu.be/rE6MZ3yytHI

https://youtu.be/By7PJb3xCmg

Bruce

In the second video, the narrator mispronounces "Royal Brougham Way" as "broom way" (it should be "brom"). Otherwise, the quality is pretty good, with most of the newer buildings in place and not looking completely ugly.

jakeroot

Oh shit. I've always said "bro-um". Thanks for the heads up. I know it's a name but I've never heard it said.

Bruce

It's closer to "bra/hm". Watch a few Sounders broadcasts with the local call and you'll pick up the correct pronunciation.

compdude787

I thought it was pronounced "broo-um." Gotta love the English language and its inconsistency with pronunciations. I fully admit that my pronunciation of it could be wrong, as I have a hard time pronouncing certain things correctly.

Alps

The car/carriage was pronounced either broom or brohm. I grew up with an Oldsmobile Brougham and always pronounced it brohm.

compdude787

Quote from: Alps on January 02, 2019, 11:52:09 PM
The car/carriage was pronounced either broom or brohm. I grew up with an Oldsmobile Brougham and always pronounced it brohm.

I didn't know such a car existed. I guess I'm too young!

qguy

And you were correct to. I had a similar experience. My father purchased a succession of three Oldsmobile Delta 88s during the 1970s, the last of which (the 1978 model) I drove during my college years. (Great car for college; the trunk was as large as some apartments.) All of the Olds sales people pronounced it brohm, which is the classic pronunciation.

BTW, the voice-over in the videos sounds to me like he's pronouncing it brohm, not broom. Is it not pronounced brohm in Seattle?

Reminds me of the small town of Versailles, Pennsylvania, just southeast of Pittsburgh. The locals don't pronounce it like it's French namesake (ver-SIGH). They say ver-SALES, or worse, VER-sales. Makes me think they're all living in an episode of "Mama's Family."

kwellada

Quote from: qguy on January 03, 2019, 06:55:46 AM
Reminds me of the small town of Versailles, Pennsylvania, just southeast of Pittsburgh. The locals don't pronounce it like it's French namesake (ver-SIGH). They say ver-SALES, or worse, VER-sales. Makes me think they're all living in an episode of "Mama's Family."

I have a friend in California who lives on a Versailles Street and the locals all do the VER-sales pronunciation.  The kicker is that my friend grew up in France and obviously French is his native tongue.

mgk920

Quote from: kwellada on January 03, 2019, 07:31:33 PM
Quote from: qguy on January 03, 2019, 06:55:46 AM

I have a friend in California who lives on a Versailles Street and the locals all do the VER-sales pronunciation.  The kicker is that my friend grew up in France and obviously French is his native tongue.

And it's also 'ver-SALES', IN.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.