News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What happend to the remove post button?

Started by on_wisconsin, November 03, 2014, 09:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

on_wisconsin

Where did the button to remove your own post(s) go?
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

adventurernumber1

Yeah...I believe I noticed its disappearance around a week ago. Not a huge deal, but why is it gone?
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

oscar

While I wish the remove button were still there, can you use the modify button to do the same thing, by removing all the text from your message?  That could leave your message as an empty shell, but would the forum servers then automatically delete the remnants for you?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NE2

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
The message body was left empty.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

oscar

Quote from: NE2 on November 03, 2014, 01:35:37 PM

OK, what about replacing the original text with "Mods, please remove this message"?

jeffandnicole

Or, just "...".  Or "dajkb82n3j0vadhf82ma;adfa890".

vtk

Quote from: oscar on November 03, 2014, 01:50:49 PM

OK, what about replacing the original text with "Mods, please remove this message"?

I think that's the approach that would annoy the mods the least.  But I want the "remove post" button back.  I used it once so I'd stop seeing that thread on the "new replies to your posts" / "updated topics" page.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

Quote from: vtk on November 03, 2014, 02:38:12 PM
I think that's the approach that would annoy the mods the least.  But I want the "remove post" button back.  I used it once so I'd stop seeing that thread on the "new replies to your posts" / "updated topics" page.
Did that actually work? I don't think it did when I got my post deleted by Nazirod.

1995hoo

Quote from: oscar on November 03, 2014, 01:50:49 PM

Or just put "(post deleted)" instead.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vtk

Quote from: NE2 on November 03, 2014, 02:42:56 PM
Quote from: vtk on November 03, 2014, 02:38:12 PM
Did that actually work? I don't think it did when I got my post deleted by Nazirod.

It worked for me.  Can't remember what thread it was though.  Something ridiculously busy and/or silly before Alanland.  (Maybe I-366?)  I wanted to do that for Alanland too but I'd posted there multiple times and I guess I decided removing them would damage the archived discussion too much.

getemngo

Hmm... if you changed your post to "Mods, please delete this" and then reported your own post, would it get deleted faster? Does the "Report to moderator" link actually do something, or is it only there to make you feel better, like the Close Door button on an elevator?
~ Sam from Michigan

oscar

The "remove" button came back, at least for my posts.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

adventurernumber1

The "remove" button is back for me as well! I guess an admin put it back for all accounts, assuming one might've taken it away recently. But I guess this problem is resolved now, at least for me and the other two people who have their button back.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

hbelkins

Quote from: getemngo on November 03, 2014, 04:02:01 PM
Hmm... if you changed your post to "Mods, please delete this" and then reported your own post, would it get deleted faster? Does the "Report to moderator" link actually do something, or is it only there to make you feel better, like the Close Door button on an elevator?

Would doing such a thing give you those super-secret points that only the mods can see?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

or is it only there to make you feel better, like the Close Door button on an elevator?

Surely nearly all elevators have a functioning Close Door button. But it only has a practical effect if the programmed default open-door duration is longer than the programmed minimum open-door duration, which usually isn't the case.  Otherwise, although the elevator knows you want to close the door, it is required to ignore the command until it was going to close the door anyway.

I've heard of a few elevators that actually do have a very long default open-door duration, and the Close Door button is quite useful.

Alps

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on November 03, 2014, 05:05:50 PM
The "remove" button is back for me as well! I guess an admin put it back for all accounts, assuming one might've taken it away recently. But I guess this problem is resolved now, at least for me and the other two people who have their button back.
I haven't seen a post about it among the admins/mods, so I assume it wasn't an intentional act.
Quote from: hbelkins on November 03, 2014, 09:05:46 PM
Would doing such a thing give you those super-secret points that only the mods can see?
No, no it wouldn't. We prefer that you not do that, though. We'll generally find your post soon enough. (Or use this thread to post about it! How convenient!)

Pete from Boston

I assume all the political posts are requests for deletion where the poster has found themselves unable to do it themselves.

NE2

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 04, 2014, 07:47:09 AM
I assume all the political posts are requests for deletion where the poster has found themselves unable to do it themselves.
I guess so.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on November 04, 2014, 07:50:47 AM
I guess so.

Yeah, that's a political statement until you have been on a job site where a master electrician is made to come back down the ladder because he's carrying conduit up in order to be efficient, and that's someone else's job (union rules).  I don't care about the politics of the unions, but I know what blind adherence to strict delimiting of responsibility does to people's likelihood to stick their neck out on a worksite. Does your worksite experience tell you something to the contrary?

Pete from Boston

As long as you're comfortable where you're sitting.

Brandon

Yes, it does.  I've actually gotten the close door button on an elevator to work as well.  :bigass:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on November 04, 2014, 07:50:47 AM
I guess so.

Hardly a political statement there, bud.  Their make-work rules get in the way of efficiency and common sense.

Still reminded of one we had to have on a job near St Louis.  The local there made the driller have a third person on the crew as a laborer.  Most drilling crews have two, a driller and helper.  The laborer was there to shovel soil out of the way for both the driller and helper.  I had one that was so useless he sat on his duff and let the soil pile up.  I (a professional) had enough and took the shovel and started clearing soil away so we could finish the hole.  The laborer bitched about that.  I told him to do his fucking job then instead of sitting on his ass.  Either that, or I'd do it for him and fuck the union rules.  He got the point and did his job.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Is the remove button supposed to be on all posts, originals and replies? Or just if you are the first poster in a thread? ("Create New Topic.")

Because I didn't see a "remove" button in my post upthread in this discussion, only the "Quote" and "Modify" options.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.