News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sheridan Expressway...Again

Started by Rothman, June 17, 2015, 07:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

I consider the whole idea of downgrading our highways to be an insult, and the notion that doing so will somehow save neighborhoods and improve traffic to be an insult to the intelligence of any driver.

froggie

It's not a downgrading.  It's a right-sizing.  Feel insulted all you want but this brings the Sheridan to the appropriate level for the traffic it carries.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: froggie on December 01, 2018, 08:55:49 PM
It's not a downgrading.  It's a right-sizing.  Feel insulted all you want but this brings the Sheridan to the appropriate level for the traffic it carries.

Agreed. The expressway itself is more than adequate to serve traffic from the EB Cross Bronx/to the WB Cross Bronx, which it has direct connections to at the north end. For traffic to/from the other directions on the Cross Bronx and the Bronx River Parkway, the real bottleneck is 177 St and its interchange with the Parkway/Cross Bronx, not the Sheridan.

Alps

The two people on this board who support eliminating existing capacity despite traffic congestion have already spoken. The rest are in agreement.

froggie

Way to be snarky, Steve...and there are more than two people in this thread who have been supportive of the project, nevermind several commenters who haven't expressed an opinion one way or the other.

The Sheridan really doesn't have that level of traffic congestion...and one could argue that it's the Bruckner causing it and not a "lack of capacity" on the Sheridan itself.  Even cl94, who expressed opposition to the downgrade, acknowledges the lack of congestion on the Sheridan.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on December 02, 2018, 07:58:22 AM
Way to be snarky, Steve.
Thanks! (:

I'm not opposed to this project. In truth, I'm not familiar enough with traffic levels on each freeway in NYC to draw a conclusion. But I'm strongly opposed to removing I-81 in Syracuse and other freeway removals on well traveled sections.

The Ghostbuster

I've never been to New York City, but I tend to be against freeway-to-boulevard conversions in general. Maybe in this case, it might be beneficial, or at least not gridlock-inducing. But for the most part, I'd only support freeway-to-expressway conversions IF they do not substantially increase congestion on the road itself, neighboring streets, and/or the city's freeway system.

PHLBOS

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 03, 2018, 04:04:37 PMI'd only support freeway-to-expressway boulevard conversions IF they do not substantially increase congestion on the road itself, neighboring streets, and/or the city's freeway system.
FTFY
GPS does NOT equal GOD

D-Dey65

There are two words that can easily give you a clue of what demolishing this will bring;

Queens Boulevard

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:QueensBlvd-GrandAve_PedWarning_Sign-Elmhurst.jpg

I'm surprised nobody on that thread had a clue that it was intended to run northeast to Pelham, and should've done just that.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 05, 2018, 07:09:52 PM
There are two words that can easily give you a clue of what demolishing this will bring;

Queens Boulevard

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:QueensBlvd-GrandAve_PedWarning_Sign-Elmhurst.jpg

I'm surprised nobody on that thread had a clue that it was intended to run northeast to Pelham, and should've done just that.

Funny you mention Queens Boulevard, because since NYCDOT began implementing safety improvements in 2014, there hasn't been a single pedestrian or cyclist fatality on the street. Arterial highways like Queens and Sheridan Blvds can actually be fairly safe for pedestrians if they're designed properly.

froggie

QuoteI'm surprised nobody on that thread had a clue that it was intended to run northeast to Pelham, and should've done just that.

We knew.  But that ship sailed decades ago.

D-Dey65

Quote from: froggie on December 06, 2018, 08:24:11 AM
QuoteI'm surprised nobody on that thread had a clue that it was intended to run northeast to Pelham, and should've done just that.

We knew.  But that ship sailed decades ago.
Yes, we knew. They are completely clueless about the purpose of it, despite living near there. And the only reason that ship has sailed is because they pushed it, and now it's being pushed out of existence.

froggie

No...there are plenty of other reasons besides NIMBYism why it's out of existence.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on December 07, 2018, 09:53:42 PM
No...there are plenty of other reasons besides NIMBYism why it's out of existence.

But that's the reason it was never completed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.