News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wawa Named America’s Favorite Convenience Store

Started by cpzilliacus, July 22, 2015, 11:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on July 22, 2015, 11:46:11 AM
Sheetz is better.

I agree.

But Wawa, Sheetz and Royal Farm (found in parts of Maryland and Delaware) are all vastly better than 7-11. 

And last time I checked, not a one of them (aside from 7-11) has even one store in Montgomery County, Maryland because of the expensive and burdensome planning and approval regulations, combined with too many citizen activists committed to economic stagnation.

Cumbie's (as many in New England call Cumberland Farms) isn't bad, but I wish they had better food selection including touch-screen ordering like what Wawa and Sheetz have.

I think I stopped at one of their stores in Vermont across the river from Lebanon, New Hampshire - seemed fine to me.

Does Irving (petroleum) run its own c-stores in New England and Canada, or do the use a different brand (like Circle K)?  I've stopped at one of their places in New Hampshire, which also seemed fine, but I do not recall if the store had a different brand from the fuel.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 22, 2015, 03:09:01 PM
Sheetz is better.

I agree.

But Wawa, Sheetz and Royal Farm (found in parts of Maryland and Delaware) are all vastly better than 7-11. 

And last time I checked, not a one of them (aside from 7-11) has even one store in Montgomery County, Maryland because of the expensive and burdensome planning and approval regulations, combined with too many citizen activists committed to economic stagnation

Hey, if they can deal with NJ's regulations, they can deal with them anywhere!

7-11 has Slurpees and Lottery, and that's all (I remember when they had video games tucked away in a corner).   7-11 has tried competing against Wawa and others with prepared "fresh" sandwiches, but how fresh is a sandwich going to be that gets trucked to a store once a day?

Royal Farms has excellent fried chicken.  I wished there was a location closer to me.  But then again, I'm glad there isn't one closer to me!

Rothman

I grew up with Cumby's and have to say I still feel a little allegiance to them, but there's little doubt that Sheetz and Wawa offer a higher level of service.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: froggie on July 22, 2015, 02:56:18 PM
Quote from: noelboteveraSheetz you can find in Pennsylvania. Those aren't hard. There is still a ton in New England.

You have got to be kidding.  There are no Sheetz further northeast than the Allentown and Scranton areas.  Not even close to New England.

Moreover...

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 22, 2015, 02:34:59 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 22, 2015, 01:55:50 PMWawa's are a little bit more scattered, and more hidden, but still rewarding if you find one.

Hidden?  Wawa?  Wawa the convenience store?  Wikipedia says "680+ stores"!  Even assuming typical Wikipedia room for error, they'd have to use camouflage to hide all those.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 22, 2015, 03:54:33 PM

Quote from: froggie on July 22, 2015, 02:56:18 PM
Quote from: noelboteveraSheetz you can find in Pennsylvania. Those aren't hard. There is still a ton in New England.

You have got to be kidding.  There are no Sheetz further northeast than the Allentown and Scranton areas.  Not even close to New England.

Moreover...

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 22, 2015, 02:34:59 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 22, 2015, 01:55:50 PMWawa's are a little bit more scattered, and more hidden, but still rewarding if you find one.

Hidden?  Wawa?  Wawa the convenience store?  Wikipedia says "680+ stores"!  Even assuming typical Wikipedia room for error, they'd have to use camouflage to hide all those.
When do you expect a whole Wawa's under a tunnel? That is one unusual place to put a whole convenience store.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

hbelkins

I think most of the older Sheetz locations -- most definitely the ones I've been to -- have been retrofitted to include deep fryers for their fried menu. The more varied food menu is the reason I prefer Sheetz to Wawa. Since I don't drink coffee, that's not a factor for me to consider in judging the two.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadrunner75

It seems we just had the same discussion recently, but again, my vote is firmly with Wawa.  I like Sheetz, but I'm not in their area that often.  Quickchek is trying to expand along the northern/central Jersey Shore, but it has a lot of catching up to do and is not as good.  Very smart move for Wawa, as part of their expansion back northward in NJ, to stick a store right next to and easily accessible from the GSP/NJTP/US9 interchange.

As for Cumberland Farms, they used to have a few tiny stores around, but left the area years ago.  They went through a big scandal of falsely accusing their employees of theft, scaring them into signing 'confessions' and extorting money from them, so good riddance.

Zeffy

Wawa's ICEEs (or slushies?) are so amazing. I literally leave Wawa everytime with a smile on my face.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

JakeFromNewEngland

The only convenience stores in my area are 7/11, Krauszers (the old Wawas back when they were still in New England) and a new Cumbies.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 22, 2015, 10:56:06 PM
It seems we just had the same discussion recently, but again, my vote is firmly with Wawa.  I like Sheetz, but I'm not in their area that often.  Quickchek is trying to expand along the northern/central Jersey Shore, but it has a lot of catching up to do and is not as good.  Very smart move for Wawa, as part of their expansion back northward in NJ, to stick a store right next to and easily accessible from the GSP/NJTP/US9 interchange.

As for Cumberland Farms, they used to have a few tiny stores around, but left the area years ago.  They went through a big scandal of falsely accusing their employees of theft, scaring them into signing 'confessions' and extorting money from them, so good riddance.

Funny, one of the current affairs hosts on a local NPR affiliate today mentioned quitting Wawa as a youth because they were trying to strongarm him into taking a lie-detector test over thefts.

Cumberland is functionally better than it used to be, but I'll take QuickChek over it any day.

Dougtone

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 22, 2015, 03:09:01 PM
Sheetz is better.

I agree.

And last time I checked, not a one of them (aside from 7-11) has even one store in Montgomery County, Maryland because of the expensive and burdensome planning and approval regulations, combined with too many citizen activists committed to economic stagnation.

Cumbie's (as many in New England call Cumberland Farms) isn't bad, but I wish they had better food selection including touch-screen ordering like what Wawa and Sheetz have.

I think I stopped at one of their stores in Vermont across the river from Lebanon, New Hampshire - seemed fine to me.

Does Irving (petroleum) run its own c-stores in New England and Canada, or do the use a different brand (like Circle K)?  I've stopped at one of their places in New Hampshire, which also seemed fine, but I do not recall if the store had a different brand from the fuel.
Many Irving locations are co-branded with Circle K.

I'm surprised by the lack of QuickChek love, since they're not much different than Sheetz or Wawa. The QuickChek footprint is mainly in the northern half of New Jersey and parts of the Hudson Valley. I do enjoy both Sheetz and Wawa, but I haven't been able to find blackberry iced tea anywhere other than Wawa.

I also enjoy Stewart's Shops here in Upstate New York for their ice cream, but as technology goes, they are in the Dark Ages in comparison to QuickChek, Sheetz or Wawa. Honorable mention goes to Maplefield's (mostly in Vermont and far northeastern New York), which co-brands with Amato's of Maine for quick, hot foodstuffs.

SCH-I545

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 23, 2015, 12:23:53 AM

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 22, 2015, 10:56:06 PM

Funny, one of the current affairs hosts on a local NPR affiliate today mentioned quitting Wawa as a youth because they were trying to strongarm him into taking a lie-detector test over thefts.

Most stores would've just fired him on the spot.  No doubt he was completely innocent.  :rolleyes:

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 22, 2015, 03:21:05 PM
Hey, if they can deal with NJ's regulations, they can deal with them anywhere!

Don't be so sure.  Maryland approval regulations generally vary by county, and sometimes within a county, by the municipality (for those relatively few places that are within the corporate limits of a city or town).

But Montgomery County has a large corps of smart citizen activist types with unlimited time on their hands (many are retired with little or nothing to do) - and all or nearly all of them are committed to keeping the county the way it always has been (at least since they moved in, or since 1970), usually on environmental grounds, even if those grounds have little or no merit.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 22, 2015, 03:09:01 PMDoes Irving (petroleum) run its own c-stores in New England and Canada, or do the use a different brand (like Circle K)?  I've stopped at one of their places in New Hampshire, which also seemed fine, but I do not recall if the store had a different brand from the fuel.

They DID, it was called "bluecanoe" (lower case, no space).  Well-run, very customer-friendly store.  Clean design, good products, great attention to detail.  The larger, truck-oriented ones even had a decent restaurant.  Not sure if this was an in-house operation or contracted.

In 2009 or so the concession was let to Circle-K, which is a mediocre store in my opinion, even compared to their parent brand Couche-Tard.  A few vestiges of the bluecanoe identity remain, but the rest is gone.

Thing 342

I prefer Wawa, simply because i'm not in Sheetz's area very often. Royal Farms (similar type of establishment located in DE, MD, and VA) is also quite good.

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

02 Park Ave

WAWA usually have better prices for Tastykake pies than your supermarket does.
C-o-H

jakeroot

Quote from: ET21 on July 23, 2015, 06:25:08 PM
Never heard of it lol

Exactly the reason not to believe the poll. An east coast chain cannot be the entire country's favorite.

Purgatory On Wheels

Quote from: jakeroot on July 23, 2015, 07:22:54 PM
Never heard of it lol

Exactly the reason not to believe the poll. An east coast chain cannot be the entire country's favorite.

It can if people in the rest of the country think all their local c-stores suck.

Pete from Boston

Never heard of it lol

This point is being beaten to death, and is pretty clearly more a matter of poor headline syntax than anything.

To the extent the Philadelphia Business Journal article explains things, using whatever methodology was used Wawa scored highest on a scale of opinions about convenience stores. 

A better phrasing would have been "America's most-loved convenience store"–the numbers show people love it more than others, not that the country as a whole even has a "favorite."

1995hoo

I'll use either Wawa or Sheetz and don't much care. The main differences I've noted are that (a) the Wawa in Woodbridge sells 92-octane gas (rather than 93), (b) the same station's pay-at-the-pump system accepts Apple Pay, and (c) the Sheetz in Wilderness (corner of VA-3 and VA-20) has the biggest roof over the gas pump/parking area of any gas station I can recall off the top of my head.

I can't say I ever recall ordering food at either Wawa or Sheetz, though. My ban on eating in the car surely contributes to that!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Never heard of it lol

Then name all the convenience stores that have a national presence.  And let us know what one you would think would be the favorite.

FWIW, most people out of Wawa-nation have the same attitude.  Those that offer an opinion on what their favorite store is, well, it turns out it's generally only regional in nature as well.

hbelkins

It's like anything else that relies on fan voting. If fans of a certain chain/American Idol singer/MLB player stuff the ballot box, that's who wins.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2015, 02:33:17 PM
It's like anything else that relies on fan voting. If fans of a certain chain/American Idol singer/MLB player stuff the ballot box, that's who wins.

Normally true, although this was just a polling of a random number of people.  Of course, if you ask more people in a particular region, you'll probably get more responses favoring that region.  But if you ask 50 people in Oregon and 50 people in New Jersey, but you're dealing with two vastly different state populations, then you're under-representing the state with more people.   

While many people tend to disagree with the polling results when they disagree with who or what wins, (and there's always going to be a case where the poll didn't correctly predict something such as a winner in an election), the overwhelming majority of these polls - when there's no bias involved - do tend to be quite accurate.

That all said, this is hardly the first time people have been asked their opinions about their favorite convenience store.  Time and time again, both Wawa & Sheetz rank high in the studies conducted.

ET21

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 24, 2015, 08:14:29 AM
Never heard of it lol

Then name all the convenience stores that have a national presence.  And let us know what one you would think would be the favorite.

FWIW, most people out of Wawa-nation have the same attitude.  Those that offer an opinion on what their favorite store is, well, it turns out it's generally only regional in nature as well.

All I have out here is 7-Eleven. There used to be White Hen's before 7-11 bought them out.

I honestly don't care about convenience store popularity. If it's there and I need something quickly out the door or on the road, I'll go to it.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.