News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road-related pet peeves

Started by TravelingBethelite, September 01, 2015, 02:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 10, 2015, 05:48:27 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on September 10, 2015, 05:20:28 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on September 01, 2015, 04:04:40 PM
People saying US 30 ends in California...

People actually think that? I'm trying to think of an excuse that would make people think that, but I can't think of one.
In Chambersburg and my classmates refused for me to correct them that US 30 ends at Astoria, OR, about 200 miles south of Seattle.

See, that's where you're wrong.  It starts in Astoria.  It ends in Atlantic City.

Brandon

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 10, 2015, 06:32:10 PM

People actually think that? I'm trying to think of an excuse that would make people think that, but I can't think of one.
In Chambersburg and my classmates refused for me to correct them that US 30 ends at Astoria, OR, about 200 miles south of Seattle.

See, that's where you're wrong.  It starts in Astoria.  It ends in Atlantic City.

Technically, they're correct, and you're wrong.  With the grid, US-2 is in the north, and US-1 is in the east, hence for US highways, they start north or east and end south or west.  Interstates are the reverse.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Brandon on September 10, 2015, 06:44:52 PM

Technically, they're correct, and you're wrong.  With the grid, US-2 is in the north, and US-1 is in the east, hence for US highways, they start north or east and end south or west.  Interstates are the reverse.

I will not be made a fool of by this... this... sixth-grade class!

noelbotevera

'Pends. If you're heading westward (which is what they said, the western terminus was in gosh darn California...yet I know US 30 ends in Oregon...), its end point is Astoria.

slorydn1

The end closest to me is the beginning, the other side of the country is the end-that, in my mind, is irrefutable (lol).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

vtk

Don't the mileposts typically increase when driving east or north?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

silverback1065

Quote from: vtk on September 11, 2015, 07:34:24 AM

Yes, he is refering the the increasing of numbered highways, US 1 increasing to US 101 going west and the reverse with interstates, I-5 to I-97 going east. 

mrsman

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 10, 2015, 08:45:54 PM

'Pends. If you're heading westward (which is what they said, the western terminus was in gosh darn California...yet I know US 30 ends in Oregon...), its end point is Astoria.

Of course, looking at a map, you can easily determine that US 30 doesn't go to California, but there may be two points of confusion:

1) Lincoln Highway.  Lincoln Highway went from NY to San Francisco.  Most of the Lincoln Highway, from Philadelphia to Wyoming (including the portion in Chambersburg) is along US 30 (or business US 30), and conversely, most of US 30 is along the Lincoln Highway.  Some people may confuse the two.

2) On a national scale, US 30 is relatively straight east-west in the Eastern US.  If you were to head along that latitude, you would end up in northern California.  But the actual road, makes a big turn to the northwest to head to Idaho and the northern end of Oregon.

vtk

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 11, 2015, 09:40:07 AM
Quote from: vtk on September 11, 2015, 07:34:24 AM

Yes, he is refering the the increasing of numbered highways, US 1 increasing to US 101 going west and the reverse with interstates, I-5 to I-97 going east.

I got that. I just think going by the numbers of intersecting routes (which aren't strictly intersected in order) is a silly way to define which end of a route is the beginning and which is the end. The mileage along the route itself seems to me much better suited for that: clearly mile 0 is at the beginning of the route.  If the beginnings of the transcontinental US routes were meant to be on the east coast, the mileage should have increased from east to west.  Note, I don't actually know that this wasn't the case initially.  Can someone confirm or refute?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Big John

Most routes increase mileage from west to east or south to north.  It is done this way to keep notations consistent and give reassurance to what direction you are driving in regard to the route number the mileage is tied to.  Though there are exceptions like the I-294 tollway in Illinois or the New York Thruway.

If you are looking at roadway plans, the stationing (numbers telling the plan reader where you are in the project, usually measured in feet with a + sign in the middle) will also advance from west to east or north to south on the mainline of the project (crossroads have different rules and may not follow this convention).  Though I have seen old roadway plans go the opposite of this.

noelbotevera

Quote from: mrsman on September 11, 2015, 12:44:53 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on September 10, 2015, 08:45:54 PM

Of course, looking at a map, you can easily determine that US 30 doesn't go to California, but there may be two points of confusion:

1) Lincoln Highway.  Lincoln Highway went from NY to San Francisco.  Most of the Lincoln Highway, from Philadelphia to Wyoming (including the portion in Chambersburg) is along US 30 (or business US 30), and conversely, most of US 30 is along the Lincoln Highway.  Some people may confuse the two.

2) On a national scale, US 30 is relatively straight east-west in the Eastern US.  If you were to head along that latitude, you would end up in northern California.  But the actual road, makes a big turn to the northwest to head to Idaho and the northern end of Oregon.
It's regular US 30 here in Chambersburg. But yeah, most people here confuse US 30 for the Lincoln Highway.

That turn that US 30 does is just west of Rock Springs, Wyoming where US 30 heads toward Cokeville and US 191. It splits off from I-80 at exit 66. But you all knew that.

Scott5114

Signs that manage to screw up basic design principles like centering and margins. Everyone should know how to center a line of text, and the margin and line spacing guidelines are in the freakin' manual.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Pete from Boston

The lack of the most basic of proofreading that allows sign legends like "Emergency Stopping Olny" to be hung ever make it into production, much less make it out of the shop.

Super Mateo

1.  Ridiculously low speed limits.  Being from the Chicago area, these are everywhere.
2.  People that don't slow down in construction zones when workers are present.  The workers are doing their jobs without the protective cage drivers have.
3.  Maps, usually in ads, that don't know the right type of routes.  There is no Interstate 45 or US 43 around here.
4.  Lanes ending with little or no warning.
5.  People thinking the Interstates are the only way to get from one place to another.  Sometimes a US or state route works just as well.
6.  Share the road/bike lanes.  Bicycles and cars were not designed to be on the same pathways.  Build a nice grid of bike streets instead.
7.  Left lane drivers.
8.  Routes like US 52 that are signed north-south in some states and east-west in others.  Pick a direction and stick with it.

Brandon

Quote from: Super Mateo on September 17, 2015, 11:30:53 AM
1.  Ridiculously low speed limits.  Being from the Chicago area, these are everywhere.
2.  People that don't slow down in construction zones when workers are present.  The workers are doing their jobs without the protective cage drivers have.

If there's a concrete barrier, then 45 mph fits #1 above.  I personally like how Michigan does it: 60 mph in the zone, 45 mph if and only if workers are present and separated only by cones or barrels.  If they are separated by a concrete barrier, it's 60 mph.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Rothman

Quote from: Brandon on September 17, 2015, 11:52:08 AM
Quote from: Super Mateo on September 17, 2015, 11:30:53 AM

If there's a concrete barrier, then 45 mph fits #1 above.  I personally like how Michigan does it: 60 mph in the zone, 45 mph if and only if workers are present and separated only by cones or barrels.  If they are separated by a concrete barrier, it's 60 mph.

I really like the "active work zone" signs used in some states that flash when the work zone speed limits are pertinent.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TEG24601

Quote from: OCGuy81 on September 01, 2015, 04:05:03 PM
Just my inner roadgeek, but I hate when multiplexes aren't signed.  I've been to a lot of places where a US or state route is "invisible" yet shares pavement with an interstate.

I realize people often use the Interstate for a thru route, but if there's a highway running along with it, put up some signs.

Agreed, especial Indiana, who pretends that the routes end an their "beltway" routes, and provides no signs to direct people to the other side of the city.  Either sign a multi-plex, or return the route to its original route, and just have the city/county be responsible for maintenance.  The current way is stupid, evil, confusing, and wrong.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

roadman65

I hate when construction workers goof off and take weeks to do a project that should be done in days.   One such project is Wetherbee Road in Orlando that workers began late in July to put the final coating of asphalt on the newly dualized roadway.  Still just about two months later,  only the Eastbound lanes is fully paved with still only half of the Westbound lanes being paved and its single file on both sides of the divided roadway.  The project limits is from Balcomb Road to Orange Avenue which is about a mile and all the final landscaping and the storm drains have been long done.

Also John Young Parkway has a repaving project underway from the Osceola County Line to FL 528, which is almost 4 miles of six lane highway.  They have been doing one lane at a time at least .4 miles a lane, however this past week the workers disappeared and halted work on doing the NB center lane (as the nb right and sb right are completely milled with the first coat deployed and part of the NB center lane from the County Line to Town Center Blvd.) since this past Monday.

Whatever happened to excessive fines for days over the projected finish date?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

silverback1065

Quote from: TEG24601 on September 17, 2015, 02:46:59 PM
Just my inner roadgeek, but I hate when multiplexes aren't signed.  I've been to a lot of places where a US or state route is "invisible" yet shares pavement with an interstate.

I realize people often use the Interstate for a thru route, but if there's a highway running along with it, put up some signs.

Agreed, especial Indiana, who pretends that the routes end an their "beltway" routes, and provides no signs to direct people to the other side of the city.  Either sign a multi-plex, or return the route to its original route, and just have the city/county be responsible for maintenance.  The current way is stupid, evil, confusing, and wrong.
"
none of that's true, all multiplexes are signed in Indiana, and the ones that aren't are only in Indianapolis and they have signs that say "SRXX or USXX follow I-465XX to Exit XX" on every on ramp.

silverback1065

Thunderbyrd316

The newer "Yellow Diamond" style "Reduced Speed Zone" signs that have a (usually) rather tiny speed limit sign inside the yellow diamond with an arrow on top. In most cases either the numbers are too small to easily be seen or are in that God awful "C" font that does not look right on ANY speed sign outside of Quebec. (Yes Oregon still has LOTS of "C" font numbered "limitless" speed signs but I have never like those either. Speed 60 is especially annoying in "C" font to me for some reason.)

Personally I would like to see other states adopt California's "XX Zone Ahead" style signs. I also like Connecticut's large yellow rectangular "55 M.P.H. SPEED LIMIT AHEAD" signs. The Canadian style arrow over the number on a white rectangle seems OK to me as well. Perhaps what would be most ideal as far as I am concerned would be to use California's "XX Zone Ahead" but in yellow rather than white. Just my 2 cents.

roadman65

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 17, 2015, 07:09:30 PM

"
none of that's true, all multiplexes are signed in Indiana, and the ones that aren't are only in Indianapolis and they have signs that say "SRXX or USXX follow I-465XX to Exit XX" on every on ramp.
The last time I was there signs were missing where US 36 E Bound enters the loop on Rock Road as well as 40 E Bound from Washington Street, and US 421 S Bound coming in from the north just east of I-865.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on September 17, 2015, 07:16:41 PM
   The newer "Yellow Diamond" style "Reduced Speed Zone" signs that have a (usually) rather tiny speed limit sign inside the yellow diamond with an arrow on top. In most cases either the numbers are too small to easily be seen or are in that God awful "C" font that does not look right on ANY speed sign outside of Quebec. (Yes Oregon still has LOTS of "C" font numbered "limitless" speed signs but I have never like those either. Speed 60 is especially annoying in "C" font to me for some reason.)

Personally I would like to see other states adopt California's "XX Zone Ahead" style signs. I also like Connecticut's large yellow rectangular "55 M.P.H. SPEED LIMIT AHEAD" signs. The Canadian style arrow over the number on a white rectangle seems OK to me as well. Perhaps what would be most ideal as far as I am concerned would be to use California's "XX Zone Ahead" but in yellow rather than white. Just my 2 cents.

Heh. The crucial thing to me is that the sign tell you what the upcoming speed limit will be.

Then you have these huge things on US-15 north of Frederick, Maryland:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

noelbotevera

People who say GPS/phone apps are better than paper maps (they're not).

silverback1065

Quote from: roadman65 on September 17, 2015, 07:24:56 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on September 17, 2015, 07:09:30 PM

"
The last time I was there signs were missing where US 36 E Bound enters the loop on Rock Road as well as 40 E Bound from Washington Street, and US 421 S Bound coming in from the north just east of I-865.

us 36 as of july 2015: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.764614,-86.2723876,3a,75y,146.24h,83.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEisrdKne3jCCfcNPSHjzwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
us 421 as of august 2015 https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9283238,-86.230745,3a,75y,203.39h,99.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssq2d8vtuiZACUn5HMeW_Cw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
You are right about US 40 though, and they also forgot to sign US 421 on the east side at I-74.  They do appear to be missing on pendleton pike. must have been a fuck up by the designer, they definitely were there before the major reconstruction of the area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.