This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

MantyMadTown

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 28, 2015, 02:50:10 PM
Travel in a straight line in all four cardinal directions from Superior, Wisconsin and the next state you hit will always be Minnesota.

Try finding another place like that; it's really hard.

I found that in the far southern and southeastern parts of Superior if you go east you'll still be in Wisconsin until you hit Michigan, but certainly, the bulk of Superior allows you to go straight to Minnesota in all four directions.
Forget the I-41 haters

bing101

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 19, 2018, 04:52:43 PM
Quote from: empirestate on January 18, 2018, 11:04:15 AM
Here's one: Cape Cod is a cape.

Don't know why that defies conventional wisdom, exactly, but for some reason there's an idea going around that "Cape Cod" is a misnomer, and that it's actually a peninsula rather than a cape. I guess there's a misconception that capes are always high, rocky headlands or promontories (like Cape Ann or Cape of Good Hope), but the word is just as often applied to flat, sandy protrusions of land, like Cape Cod or Cape Canaveral.

(It is also a peninsula, of course, being surrounded on three sides by water; some capes are more two-sided and so wouldn't be described as peninsulas.)
I have never heard someone call Cape Cod a peninsula.
Cape Cod is most definitely a peninsula based on the definition thereof. It could be considered a manmade island thanks to the canal, but then all of Delmarva is an island as well...

ftballfan

Quote from: Alps on September 23, 2018, 02:48:41 PM

Don't know why that defies conventional wisdom, exactly, but for some reason there's an idea going around that "Cape Cod" is a misnomer, and that it's actually a peninsula rather than a cape. I guess there's a misconception that capes are always high, rocky headlands or promontories (like Cape Ann or Cape of Good Hope), but the word is just as often applied to flat, sandy protrusions of land, like Cape Cod or Cape Canaveral.

(It is also a peninsula, of course, being surrounded on three sides by water; some capes are more two-sided and so wouldn't be described as peninsulas.)
Cape Cod is most definitely a peninsula based on the definition thereof. It could be considered a manmade island thanks to the canal, but then all of Delmarva is an island as well...
One could consider South Korea to be a geopolitical island (its only land border is with North Korea)

empirestate

I mean, I've never heard anyone call this a peninsula, but I know it is one.

bing101

ghYHZ

Just about every flight from the Maritimes to central Canada will be in US airspace for about 200 miles across the State of Maine. Most usually re-enter Canada just east of Lac-Magantic, Quebec:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA617/history/20180925/1805Z/CYHZ/CYYZ

But on a flight last week we stayed over the US until Niagara Falls....

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA617/history/20180920/1805Z/CYHZ/CYYZ

Here's a shot over Maine of I-95 heading north from the ME155 interchange at Howland:

20180924_141941 by GH, on Flickr

kphoger

Quote from: Chris on July 18, 2018, 07:35:28 AM
Also: Bolivia has a navy despite not being on any ocean.

So does Switzerland.

Rivers and lakes, yo!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bing101

Road Hog

If that's a definition, then the entire US east of the Mississippi and south of the Great Lakes is an island thanks to the Chicago River.

empirestate

Quote from: Road Hog on October 11, 2018, 02:51:48 AM

If that's a definition, then the entire US east of the Mississippi and south of the Great Lakes is an island thanks to the Chicago River.

Yeah, and Africa is a whole separate continent! Oh, wait....

mgk920

Quote from: ghYHZ on September 26, 2018, 04:26:16 PM
Just about every flight from the Maritimes to central Canada will be in US airspace for about 200 miles across the State of Maine. Most usually re-enter Canada just east of Lac-Magantic, Quebec:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA617/history/20180925/1805Z/CYHZ/CYYZ

But on a flight last week we stayed over the US until Niagara Falls....

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA617/history/20180920/1805Z/CYHZ/CYYZ

Here's a shot over Maine of I-95 heading north from the ME155 interchange at Howland:

20180924_141941 by GH, on Flickr

Oodles of Canadian domestic flights regularly overfly the northern half of Wisconsin and Da YooPee of Michigan (et al), too.  Just like oodles of USA domestic flights also regularly overfly southwestern Ontario.

Mike

bing101

ghYHZ

Quote from: mgk920 on October 11, 2018, 11:40:33 AM
Oodles of Canadian domestic flights regularly overfly the northern half of Wisconsin and Da YooPee of Michigan...........

Mike

Speaking of airline routes across the UP......in the late 1940's the Canadian Government contributed funding to establish airports and radio range stations at Kinross, Grand Marais and Houghton in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Some background......Trans-Canada Air Lines' (now Air Canada) original transcontinental route from Toronto to Winnipeg and onto Vancouver was north of Lake Superior through Kapuskasing and Armstrong, Ontario. In 1947 this airway was realigned to provide a shorter route from Manitoulin Island, Ontario to Port Arthur-Fort William (today's Thunder Bay). Canada's Department of Transport required airports at approximately 100 mile intervals along the airway in case of an emergency landing......so the need to establish the airports across Michigan and the Canadian Government funding contribution.

Trans-Canada Air Lines actually managed the airport at Kinross, Michigan until the USAF took over and TCA became the tenant. Sault Ste Marie, Ontario was served from Kinross, MI until the new airport opened on the Canadian side in 1961. Until then, Canadian passengers were carried "In Bond"  across the border by bus and not required to clear US Customs (can you imagine that happening today!)

bing101

MantyMadTown

Forget the I-41 haters

SP Cook

Yeah.  The guy is really good, but has had a bad case of writer's block for almost a year. 

kphoger

Quote from: SP Cook on October 31, 2018, 09:18:03 AM
Yeah.  The guy is really good, but has had a bad case of writer's block for almost a year. 

I gather (from watching a video wherein he actually talked about it) that he took a huge step back from the world of the internet recently, because he saw it interfering with parts of himself as a person that he found more valuable.  I wouldn't call that writer's block.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SP Cook

Well, if you listen to his podcast (quite good) he is in a cell phone free period, due to the negative aspects of facebook, twitter, et al.  However making the videos for youtube is his actual job. 

kphoger

The easternmost point in the United States, by longitude, is in Alaska.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

A single municipal district in Mexico has a population of only 3.24 but has an area of 9 billion km².

OK, I discovered this one years ago, but I never told anyone about it until now because it was just too darned funny, and it would seem a shame for anyone to actually go in and correct it.  The article used to be a little bit longer, but it has been edited here and there; I think I even took part in an edit at one point.  It somehow pleases me to know that this information has stayed on Wikipedia for so long with almost nobody noticing.  If you want the current article to make a little more "sense" and have the know-how to do it, you should look through the edit history.
Male pronouns, please.

CNGL-Leudimin

Per the Spanish Wikipedia that municipality has a population of 1,137 and an area of 28.06 km² (10.83 sq mi). Vandalism, sure.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 15, 2018, 05:27:38 PM
Per the Spanish Wikipedia that municipality has a population of 1,137 and an area of 28.06 km² (10.83 sq mi). Vandalism, sure.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust the Spanish Wikipedia.  Mexico is a lot closer to the USA than it is to Spain.  Y también, España está ubicado más cerca de los Vándalos que está los EEUU.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on November 15, 2018, 06:09:10 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 15, 2018, 05:27:38 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't trust the Spanish Wikipedia.  Mexico is a lot closer to the USA than it is to Spain.  Y también, España está ubicado más cerca de los Vándalos que está los EEUU.

It's the Spanish language Wikipedia. Each language has its own, not each country.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.