I-64 in Kentucky

Started by VTGoose, September 24, 2016, 11:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTGoose

Louisville was a good stopping point on a trip from Southwest Virginia to southern Illinois. Route was U.S. 460 to W. Va. Turnpike to I-64 to L'ville. Nothing really outstanding in W.Va.

Kentucky, though, is interesting. It has been a while since traveling on I-64 here, so I didn't remember that it was a schizophrenic highway. The western section was very wide open on a broad right of way. But between Lexington and Louisville it seemed like it was on an older, smaller two-lane right of way with a couple of detached three-lane sections built at random. It made for some interesting driving in places.

I didn't get exact locations, but there was "construction" between about Coalton almost to Morehead. A concrete strip had been poured in the median (mostly on the eastbound side) just off the side of the travel lane. About halfway through the project, posts were installed in the concrete. It looks like some type of cable guardrail will be the eventual result.

Bruce, not in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

hbelkins

Quote from: VTGoose on September 24, 2016, 11:30:57 AM
Kentucky, though, is interesting. It has been a while since traveling on I-64 here, so I didn't remember that it was a schizophrenic highway. The western section was very wide open on a broad right of way. But between Lexington and Louisville it seemed like it was on an older, smaller two-lane right of way with a couple of detached three-lane sections built at random. It made for some interesting driving in places.

The section between US 60 at Frankfort (Exit 58) and what is now I-265 (Gene Snyder Freeway, formerly Jefferson Freeway) is one of the oldest in the state. The eventual goal is to widen the entire route to three lanes between Frankfort and Louisville. The widening between Shelbyville and Louisville is recent, and there was some reason that the isolated portion between Shelbyville and the Waddy-Peytona exit was widened.

I don't remember this, but when I was very young (so my dad told me), I-64 ended at KY 841. You had to exit onto the short segment of 841 that was in existence at the time to go to US 60 at Middletown to continue westward. I remember when I-64 ended at I-264 and when the segment on in to downtown opened.

The last portions of I-64 in Kentucky to be finished were the segment between US 60 at Frankfort and I-75 (the official "To I-64" signed route was US 60 to KY 4 to KY 922; much traffic used US 421, however) and the segment between KY 1/KY 7 at Grayson and the US 60 no-destination exit at Coalton.

QuoteI didn't get exact locations, but there was "construction" between about Coalton almost to Morehead. A concrete strip had been poured in the median (mostly on the eastbound side) just off the side of the travel lane. About halfway through the project, posts were installed in the concrete. It looks like some type of cable guardrail will be the eventual result.

Bruce, not in Blacksburg

There has been an ongoing pavement rehab effort along that entire portion, and yes, what you saw with that concrete strip was the makings of a cable barrier system.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

The circa 1972 section of Interstate 64 between US 60 in Frankfort and US 421 in Midway is being repaired with full depth JPC pavement and diamond grinded -again-. The bridge approaches are also being completely replaced with new JPC pavement, and the bridges themselves are receiving a latex concrete overlay to restore their decks. The pavement was first diamond grinded around 2002. This is probably the oldest concrete pavement in use in the state at this point.

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on October 19, 2017, 10:40:36 AM
The circa 1972 section of Interstate 64 between US 60 in Frankfort and US 421 in Midway is being repaired with full depth JPC pavement and diamond grinded -again-. The bridge approaches are also being completely replaced with new JPC pavement, and the bridges themselves are receiving a latex concrete overlay to restore their decks. The pavement was first diamond grinded around 2002. This is probably the oldest concrete pavement in use in the state at this point.

I can't remember exactly where it was, but I was on some concrete in Kentucky not too long ago that would have been older than I-64. It may have been on one of the portions of parkway in the western part of the state, or possibly I-75 somewhere between London and the Tennessee line.

SW Indiana

I traveled the Natcher parkway last weekend coming from Florida and they were grinding the concrete and making repairs on a long section. I have no idea if the concrete is original, but north of the end of the construction, the concrete pavement was fairly rough.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: hbelkins on September 24, 2016, 02:42:52 PM

The last portions of I-64 in Kentucky to be finished were the segment between US 60 at Frankfort and I-75 (the official "To I-64" signed route was US 60 to KY 4 to KY 922; much traffic used US 421, however) and the segment between KY 1/KY 7 at Grayson and the US 60 no-destination exit at Coalton.

I thought the last section of I-64 to be completed was between the intersection with I-65 and the Minton bridge that came over from Indiana.  I remember coming over to New Albany as a young man, getting on the short part of I-64 done in Indiana, went across the bridge, and then had to take the first exit (non I-264) onto the city streets and then picked it up just past downtown.

seicer

Let's see about a list:

1972 - I-64's concrete pavement between Exit 58 and Exit 65
1971-1972 - I-275's concrete pavement in the vicinity of I-71/75 is becoming pretty ratty. It's also built with much closer joint spacing unlike I-64.
1972 - Natcher Parkway between MM 35 and Exit 50
1962 - The original US 41 Madisonville bypass on the north end split with the Pennyrile Parkway, although parts of it could date to 1968 when the Pennyrile was built north of the city.
1968 - Pennyrile south of the end of the original US 41 Madisonville bypass at Exit 30 to Exit 11.

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on October 20, 2017, 09:15:49 AM
Let's see about a list:
1968 - Pennyrile south of the end of the original US 41 Madisonville bypass at Exit 30 to Exit 11.

That's the segment I was thinking about.

I'm also thinking that part of the US 31W bypass around E-town is also concrete, but am not positive.

seicer

That's been repaved since a new interchange was built where the overpass was.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.