News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Backlit Street Blades

Started by ColossalBlocks, March 24, 2017, 12:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I think those illuminated signs in FHWA at Alma School and Chandler Boulevard in Chandler might have been a contractor error, since I am still seeing new illuminated signs in Chandler in the thin-stroked Helvetica, and I did read a specification document from the City of Chandler that calls for Helvetica.  Chandler went from a bolder Helvetica, to Clearview, to the thin-stroked Helvetica.  The bolder Helvetica also was once used by Mesa and Gilbert before those cities switched to Clearview, but Mesa and Gilbert now both use FHWA for their illuminated signs (as well as Mesa on their non-illuminated signs at signalized intersections).

traffic light guy

King of a Prussia uses backlit blades all the time

Roadwarriors79

With LED technology, I would hope that cities like Tucson, Mesa, and Glendale would consider putting up more lighted signs in the future.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on February 28, 2018, 08:23:46 PM
With LED technology, I would hope that cities like Tucson, Mesa, and Glendale would consider putting up more lighted signs in the future.

Mesa has installed the LED signs in a few areas, mostly specific areas of interest such as Downtown, Fiesta District, Power Road Knowledge Corridor, and Eastmark. They have cut down on lighted signs in other areas though.

Roadwarriors79

Some new traffic signals are being installed at 22nd St and Thomas Rd in Phoenix. The new LED street sign for 22nd St looks like it's NOT a Clearview sign. Don't know if it's a one-off or the beginning of a new trend for the city of Phoenix.

Pink Jazz

The Town of Queen Creek is installing a traffic signal at the entrance to our neighborhood.  I wonder if they will continue to use the fluorescent signs or will they switch to the thin LED type that Phoenix, Gilbert, and Mesa are now using (although the latter only installs them at specific areas of interest and has cut down on lighted signs in other areas).

Pink Jazz

I just noticed that the Town of Gilbert is now including the town's logo in the upper left corner of their illuminated street blades.  Not sure if they will switch back to Clearview considering these signs were just installed and they are in FHWA.  I know Chandler includes its insignia in its signs (plus the fact that their street blades are brown).

Also, the Town of Queen Creek has installed the signs on the new traffic signals on the entrance to our neighborhood.  They still appear to be fluorescent fixtures, although I am not sure if they have LED kits installed since they are not active yet.

Interestingly, it does appear that Fluoresco is the market leader here in the Phoenix area for illuminated street name signs, used by most cities in the Valley.  Exceptions include Glendale, Tempe, Scottsdale, Goodyear, and a few older signals in Gilbert and Avondale.  Fluoresco signs generally have a "boxy" appearance (rather than the trapezoidal form factor of other manufacturers), although they now have LED signs available.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.