AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Florida  (Read 756663 times)

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: Today at 07:05:01 PM
Re: Florida
« Reply #2575 on: June 12, 2018, 06:04:47 PM »

I think this is being studied by Florida Turnpike Enterprises.. I think there will be a toll road paralleing 301eventually.  I think it will hook into the First Coast Expressway (SR 23) around Penny Farms

Z981

That would go full circle, that planned turnpike would be close to the original plans for FLTPK then known as Sunshine State Parkway to go northeast to Jacksonville.  http://web.archive.org/web/19990209002454/www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~mn2n/tollfl.html

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:04:51 AM by Stephane Dumas »

Georgia

• Last Login: June 23, 2018, 09:26:06 PM
« Reply #2576 on: June 13, 2018, 12:32:01 AM »

Google Maps car was heading east on I-10 just past exit 22.  Wonder if that means we will get some updated Pensacola GSM shortly or it was just heading elsewhere.

Henry

• Last Login: June 22, 2018, 09:23:50 AM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #2577 on: June 13, 2018, 09:04:29 AM »

Just got back from a quick driving trip to Tampa.  Did the Jacksonville 295 to 10 to 301 to 75 deal. 

301 is just awful.  Plenty of pointless speedtrap towns, stop lights, dangerous at grade intersections, and quite limited services.  My question is why?  FL seems to have at least two upgrade projects going, including a bypass of Starke.  As this route is the best connection from anybody on the 95 side of the 95 or 75 to Florida divide who is going to Tampa or any place south, the road is very busy and highly used.  With all of Florida's toll roads, why has this been left out.  I would gladly pay 8 to 12 $$ for a high speed interstate quality road from Jacksonville to Ocala/
I think this is being studied by Florida Turnpike Enterprises.. I think there will be a toll road paralleing 301eventually.  I think it will hook into the First Coast Expressway (SR 23) around Penny Farms

Z981

Seconded!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

VTGoose

• Last Login: June 22, 2018, 08:50:08 AM
« Reply #2578 on: June 13, 2018, 10:10:35 AM »

Just got back from a quick driving trip to Tampa.  Did the Jacksonville 295 to 10 to 301 to 75 deal. 

301 is just awful.  Plenty of pointless speedtrap towns, stop lights, dangerous at grade intersections, and quite limited services.  My question is why?  FL seems to have at least two upgrade projects going, including a bypass of Starke.  As this route is the best connection from anybody on the 95 side of the 95 or 75 to Florida divide who is going to Tampa or any place south, the road is very busy and highly used.  With all of Florida's toll roads, why has this been left out.  I would gladly pay 8 to 12 $$ for a high speed interstate quality road from Jacksonville to Ocala/

That's our standard route when heading to and from Apollo Beach, although instead of the jog and weave to get to and around Jacksonville, we use 301 all the way to I-95 at the Yulee exit. Getting through downtown Baldwin and through Callahan are minor inconveniences because the rest of the highway is what 301 should be between Baldwin and Zuber. As to speedtrap towns, I have yet to see much in the way of speed enforcement either in any of the towns or out in the country. The Starke bypass (even though it is short by several miles) will take care of the worst of the bottlenecks (going north, we breeze past the long line of traffic trying to turn left to get on I-10 east -- will the end of that project or the end of the decade come first?).

I do agree that a better/faster route is needed (I-4 really doesn't count since it fails on "faster" when choked with traffic) and I too would be willing to spend a few dollars to get from one side of the state to the other.

Bruce in Blacksburg

roadman65

• Last Login: June 23, 2018, 11:57:00 AM
« Reply #2579 on: June 13, 2018, 08:01:08 PM »

Got that one right about I-4.  It is no help thanks to over sprawl (or progress as some will call it) as I-4 is not even anything but a local commuter route and if there are tourists its just those looking to visit the attractions while staying in the area. 

A proposed route (even if it branches off of FL 589) from Crystal River to Jacksonville is built as a tollway, that would help transit many from the NE to Western parts of the Peninsula.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

• Last Login: June 21, 2018, 06:36:53 PM
« Reply #2580 on: June 14, 2018, 04:32:39 PM »

I usually cut through Ocala National Forest and hit US 17 from Palatka to Jacksonville. Sure US 17 has some of the same issues, with the exceptions of the cluttered speed trap towns. But because of that exception, I tend to feel a lot better taking it. But yes, an expressway paralleling US 301 from Ocala to Jacksonville would be a great idea whether it's a toll road or a freeway.

edwaleni

• Last Login: Today at 11:59:25 AM
« Reply #2581 on: June 15, 2018, 07:27:05 AM »

Got that one right about I-4.  It is no help thanks to over sprawl (or progress as some will call it) as I-4 is not even anything but a local commuter route and if there are tourists its just those looking to visit the attractions while staying in the area. 

A proposed route (even if it branches off of FL 589) from Crystal River to Jacksonville is built as a tollway, that would help transit many from the NE to Western parts of the Peninsula.

Having traveled I-4 in the choke area many times, I have a pretty good feel where the choke begins.

In the morning, tourists, mostly ones from overseas make the trek from the I drive hotel district to the theme parks. Unfortunately, many of them get their lane usage wrong and migrate to the far left lane and drive timid. This causes traffic to back up as they timidly attempt to cross 2 lanes to reach either Vineland-Apopka or farther down. Once you pass the main Disney exit, normal returns.

But the reverse is much worse. At around dinner time the masses make the trek back to I Drive, with the same foriegn lane behavior. So it backs up from Kirkman all the way back to Vineland-Apopka on I-4.

An accident? Forget about it.

With Disney refusing to have a better public transit mode to and from I Drive, this I-4 choke will persist indefinitely.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 02:33:18 PM
« Reply #2582 on: June 15, 2018, 07:49:54 AM »

Huh.  And here I thought Europeans were better at lane usage, not worse.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

VTGoose

• Last Login: June 22, 2018, 08:50:08 AM
« Reply #2583 on: June 15, 2018, 09:22:05 AM »

Having traveled I-4 in the choke area many times, I have a pretty good feel where the choke begins.

In the morning, tourists, mostly ones from overseas make the trek from the I drive hotel district to the theme parks. Unfortunately, many of them get their lane usage wrong and migrate to the far left lane and drive timid. This causes traffic to back up as they timidly attempt to cross 2 lanes to reach either Vineland-Apopka or farther down. Once you pass the main Disney exit, normal returns.

We have gotten tangled in the I-4 mess at the Tampa/I-75 end in the afternoon. Back in April we were heading from our son's home in Apollo Beach across to Cocoa Beach for a next-day boarding on a cruise. Even though it was mid-afternoon on a weekday, traffic was already backed up on I-75 south of the I-4 exit and was slow and bumper to bumper until around Lakeland (where we jumped off to get some dinner). It probably took us less time to get from there to Cocoa Beach than it did to get to that point from Apollo Beach. The problem is there really isn't a good alternative route to go east from Tampa without going though a lot of towns and zigging and zagging east and north to get close to Orlando and the Beachline Expressway (and/or the airport).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.