News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Are topics about the forum itself banned?

Started by webny99, December 21, 2017, 06:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

For example, "Wow, the forum was rather slow and boring while I was away :bigass:"

This is a legitimate question - I could not find anything explicitly mentioned in the rules.

Also, did I miss something interesting, about "Maine Highway Fridays"  :confused:

[webny99 sits back and waits for the explosion]

hotdogPi

Topics about the forum itself go in Suggestions and Questions. They are usually suggestions and/or questions, hence the board title.

However, "Wow, the forum was rather slow and boring while I was away :bigass:" (ignoring that emoticons can't be used in thread titles) doesn't contribute to anything; anyone agreeing with you probably wouldn't have much to say, while anyone disagreeing with you could start a heated debate.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

Maine Highway Fridays?

I must have missed that too.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

It was something Marf tried in the Fictional forum.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SectorZ

Quote from: hbelkins on December 21, 2017, 10:11:33 PM
Maine Highway Fridays?

I must have missed that too.

I remember it, because he missed a week and I jokingly asked what happened the week earlier, leading him to get kind of defensive about it.

CNGL-Leudimin

From what I know, politics and religion are banned. I tend to avoid the former and I don't bother about the latter.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jeffandnicole

There's a lot of questions about the forums. Different subtopics, rearranging regions, etc. They are certainly welcomed...even if people don't agree with them.

But this isn't a personal blog.  You can write on your blog "I was away for a week and nothing happened". On a public forum where lots happened but maybe not in topics that you care about, it's a bit rude to act is if you're the life of the party.

Marf

Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 23, 2017, 11:27:49 AM
There's a lot of questions about the forums. Different subtopics, rearranging regions, etc. They are certainly welcomed...even if people don't agree with them.

But this isn't a personal blog.  You can write on your blog "I was away for a week and nothing happened". On a public forum where lots happened but maybe not in topics that you care about, it's a bit rude to act is if you're the life of the party.

I'd be interested in your definition of "lots". Feel free to parse through the statistics. I don't think I'm the life of the party, but I did provide us with our first 500-post day, and have started a host of interesting topics. I'm sorry if you interpreted it as rudeness. ":bigass:" is basically a synonym for [humor] around here, as I presume you knew. However, I was always taught to choose my battles wisely, so I will not argue further about my contributions. I think they speak for themselves.

webny99

I should note that my original question was a bit ill-worded. I know suggestions and questions are allowed, but am unsure whether topics about the forum that are not suggestions or questions are allowed.

For example, if I started a thread to discuss trends in forum activity (which I will not do), would that be allowed?

Marf

Webny, this forum is not that popular. That being said the mods do not have an active presence here. Just try to keep this stuff in this board. And no, you are not the life of the party unless you call deleted posts interesting.
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

webny99

Quote from: Marf on December 23, 2017, 04:58:00 PM
Webny, this forum is not that popular. That being said the mods do not have an active presence here. Just try to keep this stuff in this board. And no, you are not the life of the party unless you call deleted posts interesting.

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2017, 04:44:11 PM
I don't think I'm the life of the party

And yes, the mods do have an active presence no matter how you define it.

Marf

Also, why did you delete a bunch of posts? At this point you sound like you are trolling us. And no, all the mods do is lock threads and move them places (and to the wrong places often).

hotdogPi

Quote from: Marf on December 23, 2017, 05:45:18 PM
Also, why did you delete a bunch of posts? At this point you sound like you are trolling us. And no, all the mods do is lock threads and move them places (and to the wrong places often).

The mods contribute quite often, just like the rest of us. Not everything they do is a moderator action.

webny99

Quote from: Marf on December 23, 2017, 05:45:18 PM
Also, why did you delete a bunch of posts?

No matter how I answer that, it will spark controversy, so I'm not going to answer it at all. I have a lot of history here, considering I only joined in May. If others want to give you their take on why I deleted 380 posts, they may do so at their leisure.

Quote from: 1 on December 23, 2017, 05:46:54 PM
Not everything they do is a moderator action.

It seems to me it is, unless trolls are controlling their accounts  :bigass:

hbelkins

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2017, 04:44:11 PMI did provide us with our first 500-post day

And why, pray tell, is that anything to be proud of or to brag about? Bragging about post count, to me, is like bragging about penis size. If you have to brag about it, it's probably not anything worth bragging about. Personally, I could care less if we have 5 or 500 posts on any given day. I don't read probably two-thirds or more of the posts here. I pick what interests me; nothing more, nothing less.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Marf

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2017, 09:17:34 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 23, 2017, 09:09:35 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2017, 04:44:11 PMI did provide us with our first 500-post day

And why, pray tell, is that anything to be proud of or to brag about? Bragging about post count, to me, is like bragging about penis size. If you have to brag about it, it's probably not anything worth bragging about. Personally, I could care less if we have 5 or 500 posts on any given day. I don't read probably two-thirds or more of the posts here. I pick what interests me; nothing more, nothing less.

1 That was not bragging. It's a fact!
2 No one else has ever led us to 500 posts. Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that no one else is capable of doing so. That speaks for itself.

Whaaat? I smell a rat troll.

7/8

Quote from: hbelkins on December 23, 2017, 09:09:35 PM

2 No one else has ever led us to 500 posts. Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that no one else is capable of doing so. That speaks for itself.

Your second point sounds like bragging to me. Also, I think anyone could lead to 500 posts a day if they chose to start numerous threads, but what are the odds of all of them being worthwhile topics?

TBH, I didn't mind the 500 posts a day thread, but I am annoyed that you started deleting most of your posts after reaching a 444 post count. You even replaced some of your OP's with messages like these:

Quote from: webny99 on October 23, 2017, 10:09:57 PM
Topic 51 of 63 created by this user - Rush Hour Trends

This post was deemed obsolete at the user's discretion on November 9th, 2017, and is no longer available.

What was the point of this? It didn't do anything to your post count, and now people reading these threads for the first time only have the title to work with.*

* In the quoted example, the next post happened to quote the OP, but that often isn't the case.

hotdogPi

"I just won the lottery! That's not bragging, because it's true!"

webny99

Facts can be stated in such a way that they are not bragging. Bragging is defined as excessively proud or boastful talk. My above sentence was neither. It was not even a complex sentence, it was a bare-bones fact.

In any case, in the light of the OP, it would be utter folly to say anything else in my defense, so I will not.

vdeane

1. It sounds like you're proud of it, so yes, it's bragging.
2. Nobody else gives a crap.

Also, your habit of constantly deleting posts wreaks havoc on the ability to view threads and converse around the forum.  Heck, I had to dig up this quote from someone else's post!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US71

Banned topics (in no particular order):

Bragging (a brief announcement if you have accomplished something relevant to roads doesn't hurt as long as you don't start telling people how wonderful you are for accomplishing this.  If you won the lottery, congrats. But it's not relevant to the forum so keep it to yourself.)
Personal Attacks on other members
Politics
Resurrecting dormant discussions/ locked discussions
Asking the same questions repeatedly even if they have already been answered
Making inane posts simply to boost your forum ranking.

Writing "what did I miss" is discouraged (note the links at the top for "New replies to your Posts" and  "Unread posts since your past visit")
Writing "I was sick for two days, did anyone miss me" is also highly discouraged.

I am on here quite often, but not everything I post is a "moderator action" as  webny99 would suggest.

But if you want a "Moderator action", that can be arranged.  :pan:

Thank you and good night.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rickmastfan67

Quote from: US71 on December 24, 2017, 12:46:35 AM
I am on here quite often, but not everything I post is a "moderator action" as  webny99 would suggest.

But if you want a "Moderator action", that can be arranged.  :pan:

Or Admin action. :P :-D

And same with me.  I'm more of a background type of Admin making sure everything is working with the forums.  So, if you're seeing me posting in purple, you better take it to heart as you messed up bad to get me posting in that.

MNHighwayMan

Keep in mind, we're talking about the guy that, at one time, had two accounts (because his two personalities needed separation? :crazy:) Also, deleting a ton of posts is weak. If you can't stand by your own words, just don't post, period.

hotdogPi

Quote from: US71 on December 24, 2017, 12:46:35 AM
Banned topics (in no particular order):

Resurrecting dormant discussions/ locked discussions

I didn't think resurrecting a years-old thread was outright banned. In fact, it was even encouraged if the alternative was starting a new thread with the exact same topic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.