News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indians to remove Chief Wahoo from uniforms in 2019

Started by Buck87, January 30, 2018, 11:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Your reaction to the Indians removing Chief Wahoo from their uniforms?

It's about time
13 (36.1%)
Disappointed that they caved on this issue
14 (38.9%)
Indifference
9 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 36

MisterSG1

Quote from: sandwalk on February 02, 2018, 07:06:10 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 02, 2018, 09:31:39 AM
No one came to Ireland, named the inhabitants after some place on the other side of the world and then spent the next 5 centuries ethnically cleansing them.

If the Irish were misnamed "Australians" by foreign invaders, and the remnant population was shoved into a few marginal areas of their former home lands and a 20th Century sports team called themselves the Aussies, then the Fighting Irish would be analogous to the Cleveland Indians or the Washington Redskins.

Otherwise it's apples and oranges.

Bingo.

Also, like the OP, I am a lifelong Indians fan. It's tough to see the logo go....but it needs to go.

Why does it need to go? This is political correctness gone too far.

As I like to say, you give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Would you support the team being called the Cleveland Native Americans.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 02, 2018, 08:53:08 PM
No one came to Ireland, named the inhabitants after some place on the other side of the world and then spent the next 5 centuries ethnically cleansing them.

If the Irish were misnamed "Australians" by foreign invaders, and the remnant population was shoved into a few marginal areas of their former home lands and a 20th Century sports team called themselves the Aussies, then the Fighting Irish would be analogous to the Cleveland Indians or the Washington Redskins.

Bingo.

Also, like the OP, I am a lifelong Indians fan. It's tough to see the logo go....but it needs to go.

If we're renaming them to the Cleveland Native Americans (which we aren't), we might as well rename the state of Indiana.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

oscar

Just my two cents, from the D.C. area...

I'm pleased with the phaseout of the cartoon-ish Chief Wahoo logo. I don't have a problem with keeping the Indians name.

OTOH, I think the Washington Redskins' name is deeply offensive (nothing like the pretty neutral "Indians" name), but at least its team logo doesn't compound the injury.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

Bingo.

Political correctness killed off blackface and let women vote. Your move, avowed racist.

MisterSG1

Quote from: Alps on February 02, 2018, 09:45:08 PM

Bingo.

Political correctness killed off blackface and let women vote. Your move, avowed racist.

Excuse me? One thing I am not is racist, don't make personal attacks on me.

wanderer2575

And yet apparently nobody has a problem with the Kansas City Chiefs tomahawk chop.  I guess it's not the PC flavor of the day (yet).

Big John

^^ There were protests in the 90s when the Atlanta Braves were (and still are) using it. http://www.cnn.com/US/9510/mascot_protest/

And the FSU Seminoles are a 3rd team to use the Tomahawk Chop

Buck87

Quote from: Big John on February 02, 2018, 09:57:09 PM
^^ There were protests in the 90s when the Atlanta Braves were (and still are) using it. http://www.cnn.com/US/9510/mascot_protest/

And the FSU Seminoles are a 3rd team to use the Tomahawk Chop

FSU was the first to do it. The Braves started doing it while FSU alum Deion Sanders was playing for them, and the Chiefs adopted it after the Norwest Missouri State band (directed by an FSU alum) played it at one of their games. 

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Alps on February 02, 2018, 06:37:53 PM
Ever taken a history course on 19th century American labor? We treated the Irish about like the Germans and Jews in the 1920s. Now tell me how a "Warsaw Diamond Peddlers" team name would go over.

Oh the Irish got more than their share of unfair bullshit, that's for sure. Which I'm sure is mind-boggling to non-white people.  It's like white people used to be so racist that they even shit on people whiter than they were. :rolleyes: Which is why it's so disheartening to see modern Americans with Irish roots saying stupid, race-baiting bullshit.

Anyway, the point is the "Fighting Irish" was a name chosen by a school with a predominantly Irish Catholic student body.  They named themselves after themselves.  They didn't co-opt someone else's heritage.  The Fighting Irish would only be commensurate with the Indians if they were a team in, say, London.
The Redskins would be like having a soccer team in London called The Micks.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

MisterSG1

Bingo.

Checkmate, Alps.

I told you before to prove your accusation and you haven't.

Alps

Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 03, 2018, 11:10:13 PM

Bingo.

Checkmate, Alps.

I told you before to prove your accusation and you haven't.
I stopped taking orders from you after you started going off on women and minorities in chatting with me. I don't save my chats.

SP Cook

Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 02, 2018, 09:47:17 PM
Excuse me? One thing I am not is racist, don’t make personal attacks on me.

You have been the victim of an unwarranted personal attack. 

hotdogPi

Quote from: SP Cook on February 04, 2018, 09:23:31 AM
Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 02, 2018, 09:47:17 PM
Excuse me? One thing I am not is racist, don't make personal attacks on me.

You have been the victim of an unwarranted personal attack.

And yet you both support an even more blatant racist being in charge of the United States.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Desert Man

Bingo.

I guess society shouldn't allow gays to get married or keep the 1st amendment after 9/11 (the one part on allowing a religion to be practiced in America).

Anyways, Chief Wahoo is a liability in these times, I expect the Washington R*dsk*ns to change their team name, because the US copyright office refuses to protect trademarks which according to the Webster dictionary are racial slurs.

Let's not get too political here, cus TEH RULES. What we're debating is society changes for the better, and realizes Chief Wahoo isn't really funny. Native Americans, whom I'm related to (Osage/Cherokee grandfather from OK), went through alot of hell in over 5 centuries since white Europeans landed on this continent...and I'm proud to say Native Americans have not totally vanished. 
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Desert Man

Quote from: Alps on February 02, 2018, 06:37:53 PM

Ever taken a history course on 19th century American labor? We treated the Irish about like the Germans and Jews in the 1920s. Now tell me how a "Warsaw Diamond Peddlers" team name would go over.

Or the "New York Italian Mafia" or the "Chicago Polacks" or worse, the "San Francisco Yellow Chinamen". Stereotypes are generally not widely socially acceptable. LOL on the Arkansas School of the Deaf Leopards. Is there a California School of the Blind Bats?
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

oscar

Quote from: Desert Man on February 04, 2018, 03:14:16 PM
Anyways, Chief Wahoo is a liability in these times, I expect the Washington R*dsk*ns to change their team name, because the US copyright office refuses to protect trademarks which according to the Webster dictionary are racial slurs.

The Supremes recently ruled that the Patent and Trademark Office couldn't do that, against the Slants (a band with Asian-American members, who wanted to "reclaim" that derogatory term).

I agree that the 'Skins will eventually end up with a new name, but it might require a change of ownership to pull that off.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SP Cook

Quote from: 1 on February 04, 2018, 09:39:06 AM

And yet you both support an even more blatant racist being in charge of the United States.

You lack a basic understanding of American history, and of current politics.  You need to be quiet.

US71

If all you're going to do is throw insults,  then I am locking this. 
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.