News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Suggestion to relieve congestion on EB CA22 at I-5

Started by MarkF, February 17, 2018, 05:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkF

I recently sent this suggestion to CalTrans regarding the backup on eastbound CA 22 at the Orange Crush interchange with I-5:

The eastbound SR22 transition to Interstate 5 suffers from congestion and long backups.  Seems like an easy solution would be to close the Bristol Street onramp to EB 22/I-5. It comes on right at the exit to SB 5, resulting in weaving. Really surprised the 90's redesign of this interchange left this in.
Even better, close the Bristol interchange to/from EB 22 and extend the third lane that currently exits at Bristol to the I-5 South exit.
Of course, the users of the Bristol interchange wouldn't think much of my idea.
Currently my solution is to stay on EB SR22 and take SR55 South to I-5 South.

I got a reply:
Thank you again for taking the time to contact us with your suggestion.
It was forwarded over to the Transportation Engineer for this area, and he informed me that he will pass it on to our Planning Department for future consideration.  He also said to encourage you to champion this suggestion at any future public meetings with the local jurisdictions.
Thank you for your concern for the California transportation system.

- Caltrans Orange County

Wonder if anything will come of this?

Video of the route bypassing the mess at eastbound CA22 to I-5 south:
https://youtu.be/79T2BsiWQ-s

mrsman

Haven't been in this area in many years.  Good to see the new configuation and so many more lanes at 22.  And its also nice to see a control city of Orange on the 22 (I rememember when there was no control east of I-5).

The real problem is that a majority of the traffic is going to transition towards I-5 or CA-7, but the majority of the thru lanes are heading east toward the 55.

i-215

If a bridge were installed to connect La Veta with Metropolitain Drive, the Bristol interchange would not even be needed at all.

Occidental Tourist

So demolish the elevated southbound 57 to westbound 22 ramp as well as a portion of the dog pound?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.