News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

King of Swaziland decrees change of nation’s name

Started by GenExpwy, April 19, 2018, 06:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 26, 2018, 07:47:51 PM
I had a Internet friend from a Dutch town near the German border (can't remember the name of it at the moment), not in the Holland region, who was very particular about people referring to the country as Holland. He made the point that it was rather like referring to Houston as being in "California" because that is one of the United States's best known regions.

Well, some Europeans use "America" to describe the USA and Canada (which probably pisses off Canadians and Latinos in equal measures), so...

english si

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 27, 2018, 10:04:29 AMWell, some Europeans use "America" to describe the USA (which probably pisses off Canadians, Caribbeans, and Latin Americans), so...
FIFY.

Though, this is from a continent where a political union of just over half the countries, and about 70% of the people, is treated as the entire continent by so many - and some aggressively so. I've had people have a go at me for correcting 'Britain is leaving Europe' by saying 'how? outboard motors?' and for responding to 'all of Europe hates Brexit' with 'Iceland have been nothing but incredibly positive, and you keep blaming the Russians for it' - not because of my belligerent tone (though there is that), but because I've acknowledged the existence of a Europe outside of the EU and that is blasphemy to these Little Europeans for whom even parts of Europe are something to ignore - let alone the wider world of Asia, America, Africa and Australia.

kphoger

Quote from: Chris on April 26, 2018, 03:58:14 PM
We have the problem of Dutch  > Holland > Netherlands. Three names for the same thing. In Dutch it's just "Nederland(s)".

"Holland" is a region, it makes up 2 of the 12 provinces. A Dutchman would not refer to the country as Holland in Dutch, though it's common in English for simplification issues. Holland is also a bit of an international brand name for the Netherlands.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

theroadwayone

King of Swaziland logic: "My country has problems with poverty, AIDS, civil unrest, etc., but let's forget all those problems and instead change our country's name because we get confused with the European country with the watches, knives, chocolate, and banks."

kkt

Quote from: theroadwayone on May 01, 2018, 03:32:09 PM
King of Swaziland logic: "My country has problems with poverty, AIDS, civil unrest, etc., but let's forget all those problems and instead change our country's name because we get confused with the European country with the watches, knives, chocolate, and banks."

They learned the art of distracting the population from their real problems from the west.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.