News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Truck Hauling Mining Dump Truck Hits Bridge in Nashville

Started by Brian556, April 28, 2018, 01:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

froggie

"The truck was not properly permitted to be on any middle Tennessee area roadways."

From a TDOT press release....

Tom958

Quote from: Brooks on April 28, 2018, 10:58:35 AM
They'll probably pull construction crews off current jobs in Memphis just to fix this because somehow "Nashville is more important" .

I'm sure they'll do whatever it takes to get it reopened ASAP. That said, I'd bet that the lead time for a replacement steel beam will be longer than that required for the AASHTO beams at the W. T. Sherman Bridge. I wonder if they'll go for something else instead.

froggie

^ Doubtful.  TDOT press conference yesterday suggested they'd keep traffic on the existing bridge and replace the beam instead of the whole bridge.  They'll be able to keep 2 lanes on the bridge once restriping is done this weekend...they just won't have shoulders until the permanent repairs are completed.

hbelkins

Quote from: Brooks on April 28, 2018, 10:58:35 AM
They'll probably pull construction crews off current jobs in Memphis just to fix this because somehow "Nashville is more important" .

There's the matter of an emergency fix to an existing road vs. a normal construction project. I think that qualifies as a good reason.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Sykotyk

Quote from: froggie on April 28, 2018, 07:41:44 AM
"The truck was not properly permitted to be on any middle Tennessee area roadways."

From a TDOT press release....

That's a little lampshading there....

He's overheight. So, by definition he wouldn't be legal on any roadway without a permit. he probably just didn't realize he was over based on the height he was told the vehicle was (probably was to be hauled with the tires flat OR removed).

froggie

Every state allows overheight/overweight trucks to some degree, but they must be permitted and have a specific route designated before travel.  This guy was permitted through western Tennessee, but not the Nashville area.

hbelkins

Word around here that the hauler is a Kentucky company with a history of such incidents.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bigdave

Quote from: hbelkins on April 30, 2018, 11:33:45 AM
Word around here that the hauler is a Kentucky company with a history of such incidents.

Wow. I bet they are going to get a really big bill from TnDoT.  :popcorn:

SP Cook

And they should.  Every state DOT has a unit that recovers for road damage, from taking out a few feet of guardrail to something like this. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.