Freeways that end at at-grade interchanges with cross freeways

Started by mrpablue, May 05, 2018, 02:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Northside

Quote from: briantroutman on May 06, 2018, 01:28:33 PM
And I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but once the US 219 freeway is completed into Maryland, wouldn't the at-grade roundabouts at the I-68 interchange qualify?

I would think so.  And I'm not sure if it was already mentioned, but some miles west of there along I-68 @ Cheat Lake the WV-43 freeway (Toll-43 from PA) ends at a diamond @ I-68.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

mgk920

Another two for Wisconsin, one currently under construction - US 18/151 (Verona Rd) at the Madison Beltline (US 12/14/18/151) freeway in Madison. The re-engineered diamond interchange there includes signals on Verona Rd for traffic to and from the US 18/151 Verona Rd freeway to the southwest.

:verymad:

Also, US 14 (Park St) at the Madison Beltline (US 12/14/18/151) - US 14 to the south is a full freeway.

Mike

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on May 06, 2018, 10:31:05 AM
Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 06, 2018, 10:26:25 AMUS 1 at I-476 near Media, PA
Do volleyball's count?  Considering that under I-476 US 1 is still free moving it really is a freeway there until after the interchange.

Though technically us 1 transforms from freeway to arterial at that point, there are no lights or at grades within the line of travel through it.  Plus I-476 was built after US 1, and it was by coincidence that the Blue Route happened to interchange where the US 1 at grade part transformed into the Media Bypass Freeway.
No to split hairs here but the freeway-arterial change for US 1 occurs just east/north of the I-476 interchange at the Collins Dr./Marple Crossroads Shopping Center (signalized) intersection.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

- SR 315 used to have an at-grade at I-270 on the north side of Columbus, OH. SB-WB traffic used to have to make a left onto the loop. This was remedied 15 or so years ago.
- Not too far from there, SR 161 had an at-grade on the northeast side at I-270 when that was being reconstructed ~10 years ago. WB-SB traffic had to make a left.

Ohio has several others (that haven't been mentioned) that come damn close, but end just short. See US 33 at I-70.

How about a FREEWAY ending at an EXPRESSWAY? Ohio has that, too. US 35 has a freeway segment that ends with at-grades at SR 32.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

ftballfan

BL I-49 (a freeway) ends at a diamond interchange with I-49 in Carthage, MO

TheStranger

Some California examples not previously mentioned:

Route 84 freeway in Fremont at I-880
Route 237 at I-880 to a degree (major movements from eastbound 237 to 880 north and southbound 880 to 237 west are all via ramps, but traffic from northbound 880 must use part of a parclo interchange to go onto the westbound 237 freeway)
Similar setup to 237/880 occurs at the southernmost portion of Route 1 (in Capistrano Beach) at I-5
Route 154 at US 101/Route 1 in Santa Barbara (though technically the freeway intersects Calle Real first before 101 - Calle Real is a frontage road used as part of the access from northbound 101)
Route 126 in Valencia at I-5, if the interchange at Commerce Center Drive makes the easternmost segment of the route a freeway. 

Route 103/47 at Route 47 & I-710 in Terminal Island (Route 47 exits off the Seaside Freeway on a diamond interchange and then heads north onto the Terminal Island Freeway, with Route 103's terminus occurring at the interchange)

Chris Sampang

lepidopteran

In the "almost" category, there's VA-28 at I-66.

VA-28 has only one of its I-66 movements controlled by a traffic signal.  Another signal is there for a right turn off 66, which allows motorists to safely get over for a nearby at-grade left turn.  Of the other movements, two are actually missing since they are just as easily made on the nearby I-29 exit.

The reason for the "almost" qualifier is that VA-28 has two at-grade intersections just north of I-66; one is at Braddock Rd./Walney Rd., and the other is a T-intersection serving a park.  Other than that, VA-28 was, over the last 15 years or so, upgraded to full freeway all the way to its northern terminus at VA-7.  There used to be a (signalized?) RIRO at the historic Sullly Plantation, but that was worked into a new interchange serving the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum.  What's more, a folded diamond interchange was built just south of VA-28's interchange with I-66, at US-29, giving 28 the through route. However, there's a signalized intersection just a few hundred feet south of there (the acceleration lane becomes a turn lane).

Will the at-grade with I-66 be eliminated with the HOT lanes project underway?  At least one of the alternatives showed it as such.  Not sure about the at-grades on 28 north of there, though.

froggie

^ All of the at-grades at and north of 66 will be eliminated along 28 as part of the 66 HO/T lanes project.  The park access will be replaced by an access road along the west side of 28.  The park access road will connect to an extension of Stonecroft Blvd across 28 that will tie into Poplar Tree Rd.  Braddock Rd/Walney Rd will bridge over 28 with access to/from the south and 66.

Upon completion of construction, the 28 freeway will effectively begin/end at the Upperridge Dr/Old Centreville Rd intersection south of 29.

roadman65

Quote from: froggie on May 10, 2018, 09:08:46 PM
^ All of the at-grades at and north of 66 will be eliminated along 28 as part of the 66 HO/T lanes project.  The park access will be replaced by an access road along the west side of 28.  The park access road will connect to an extension of Stonecroft Blvd across 28 that will tie into Poplar Tree Rd.  Braddock Rd/Walney Rd will bridge over 28 with access to/from the south and 66.

Upon completion of construction, the 28 freeway will effectively begin/end at the Upperridge Dr/Old Centreville Rd intersection south of 29.

You mean we are going to get I-366?  The Ethanman Highway with an 85 mph speed limit? :-D :-D :-D
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.