News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Road/Street Terminology Exclusive To A Single City/Metropolitan Area.

Started by thenetwork, May 11, 2018, 05:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark68

Denver likes to have two "descriptors" on streets. For example, the 6th Avenue Freeway and Monaco Street Parkway. In Denver's street grid, the streets located on the same east/west or north/south axis all tend to share the same name throughout the metro area, but in the example of 6th Ave above, the freeway portion is west of I-25 (toward Lakewood & Golden). There are also frontage roads along much of it's length, which are sometimes referred to as "6th Ave Frontage Rd" or "6th Ave Service Rd".

In the case of Monaco, there is a certain stretch where it has a very wide grassy tree-lined median (same with other streets in some of the nicer parts of east Denver) which earns it the "Parkway" moniker. Hell, there's also a 6th Ave Pkwy.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

bzakharin

Quote from: Mark68 on September 06, 2018, 03:18:16 PM
In Denver's street grid, the streets located on the same east/west or north/south axis all tend to share the same name throughout the metro area
Philadelphia does this too. It's not 100%, though. Also this doesn't extend beyond the city limits (and not even into Northeast Philly) in most cases. A few numbered streets continue outside the city, such as 12th Street and Front Street (it's in place of 1st Street).  2nd Street is odd because it becomes New 2nd Street when it leaves Philly.

bugo

Quote from: m2tbone on May 12, 2018, 06:27:22 PM
The Kansas City area (or perhaps most of Western Missouri) says the names of highways backwards.  In most places, you would say Hwy 50 or Hwy 71, etc.  However, over in Kansas City, they say 50 Hwy and 71 Hwy. 
In regards to a street just called Boulevard (as mentioned above), my hometown of Mexico, MO, also has a main arterial called Boulevard.

iPad Pro
They say it that way at least as far east as Knob Noster.

Nexus 5X

bugo

Quote from: US 89 on May 12, 2018, 06:41:33 PM
In the St. Louis metropolitan area, the advance signage for interstates is something like "Route I-70" . I've never seen that used anywhere else. IMO, it's redundant, and it should either be I-70 or Route 70 (preferably I-70).
This is the case all over Missouri.

Nexus 5X

bugo

Quote from: TEG24601 on May 14, 2018, 07:11:13 PM
Quote from: Brandon on May 11, 2018, 07:25:47 PM
Neutral Ground - New Orleans for median.

I remember that from "K-Ville" and hear it on "NCIS: NOLA" as well.

I love how WSDOT must call the I-90 and SR 520 bridges as "Floating Bridges", instead of just bridges.  And they waffle between "Hood Canal Bridge" and "Hood Canal Floating Bridge".
Why do they have to refer to them that way?

Nexus 5X

bugo

Quote from: JMoses24 on June 18, 2018, 05:19:36 AM
Oklahoma City has to my knowledge the only two roads called "Diagonal". The Tinker Diagonal is I-40 with its service roads, and then there's a smaller street called "Linwood Diagonal" just northwest of midtown.
Somebody might have already mentioned it, but there is a Turner Diagonal in Kansas City, Kansas.

Nexus 5X

bugo

In Tulsa, everybody refers to any freeway as "The Highway" and rarely by its route number.

Nexus 5X

mrsman

Quote from: Beltway on September 03, 2018, 11:19:32 PM
Quote from: mrsman on September 03, 2018, 10:04:16 PM
L.A. is also unique that they refer to the lanes of a freeway by number, the #1 lane being the left most lane (in any direction), the #2 lane the next lane to the right and so on.  It is a really good system to keep track of the multiple lanes, especially because many of the freeways tend to have 5 lanes or more.
(In places where there are only 2 or 3 lanes per direction, it's much more common to refer to the lanes as left, center, and right.)

Who refers to them by number ... the state DOT or local DOT?

Plenty of places around the country have freeways with 8 or 10 lanes or more.

My convention with 4 lanes is left inner, left outer, right inner, and right outer.

I believe radio traffic reporters are the most common users of the numbered lane system.  But since they made it common, I believe that others have used it also.  I don't think the DOTs have used it in any official literature though.

SP Cook

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 25, 2018, 01:31:40 PM

I  have not heard of a completed road being called a corridor elsewhere.

West Virginia.  "Corridor" can have several interrelated meanings in WV:

- Most people call the Appalachian Corridors by their project letters, despite there being virtually no signage (the project letter is in the mile posts if you know how to read them).  As "Take Corridor L, it is faster than going through Charleston."

- In Charleston, in addition to the above use as referring to the entire road, "Corridor G" specifically to the shopping and residential area located on the edge of Charleston, opened up to development by the road.  As "I'm shopping at the Wal-Mart on Corridor G", or "Mary moved to an apartment on Corridor G."  This is a specific 1 1/2 mile area built just after the road was finished, and not any other place along the 80 mile long road, and used in the same way any other neighborhood or suburb name would be.

- Even among WV DOH workers, "Corridor" simply means "4 lane road with at grade intersections".  As "I-73/74 is actually a corridor."  Or "US 35 will be built to the corridor standard.". 

AFAIK, none of these practices cross the state line, even into nearby Kentucky or Ohio.  I have never heard US 23 called "Corridor B" in Kentucky by anyone but posters here.

Bruce

Quote from: bugo on September 08, 2018, 05:58:27 AM
Quote from: TEG24601 on May 14, 2018, 07:11:13 PM
Quote from: Brandon on May 11, 2018, 07:25:47 PM
Neutral Ground - New Orleans for median.

I remember that from "K-Ville" and hear it on "NCIS: NOLA" as well.

I love how WSDOT must call the I-90 and SR 520 bridges as "Floating Bridges", instead of just bridges.  And they waffle between "Hood Canal Bridge" and "Hood Canal Floating Bridge".
Why do they have to refer to them that way?

Nexus 5X

The bridges are floating pontoon bridges, so of course they are special enough to advertise.

The tradition of naming the bridges as floaters is likely a holdover from the first bridge, which was simply named the Lake Washington Floating Bridge (but is now the Lacey V. Murrow Memorial Bridge). As the second and third lake bridges were discussed and built, they were referred to as the "2nd Lake Washington Floating Bridge" and so on until they received proper names of their own (Evergreen Point Floating Bridge, officially the Albert D. Rosellini Bridge; and the WB I-90 floating bridge, officially the Homer Hadley Memorial Bridge).

fillup420

the local folks of Charleston SC refer to exits along I-26 as "The xxx". Example: on traffic reports, one might hear of an accident on "26 East at The 209".

Exit numbers also carry some meaning when describing where something is. Since the only two interstates in CHS have very different exit numbers, one might hear "its right off the 213A" which is I-26. One may also hear "take the 16A" which is I-526.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.