News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Radar detectors illegal in Virginia

Started by LM117, May 13, 2018, 07:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on May 25, 2018, 11:00:16 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 25, 2018, 10:27:44 AM
Quote from: Beltway on May 25, 2018, 09:57:02 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 25, 2018, 09:48:13 AM
Quote from: SP Cook on May 25, 2018, 09:16:24 AM
All traffic enforcement is illegitimate.  All traffic enforcers are as far from serious, and thus respect deserving, law enforcement workers as William Shatner is from a real astronaut. 
Who's up for drag racing in front of SP's house at 3am while doped up?

Anyone who repeatedly makes statements like "all traffic enforcement is illegitimate", -is- likely the person who would drag race in front of your house at 3am while doped up.  :pan:

Watching two guys (S.P. and Scott) who normally agree on most issues and are typically of the same mind ideologically is quite interesting.

Reminds me of a story that I saw in the Lexington Herald-Leader today. I would post the link, but that would be gratuitously inserting politics into this thread, and Abefroman and Webny99 would both have a fit.  :-D

Besides, as a long time member of the forum, you know gratuitous political attacks and mud slinging are generally frowned upon.   :whip:

The story was about one of the big conservative groups (either Club For Growth or Americans For Prosperity, I can't remember which at the moment) running ads criticizing Kentucky's senior Congressman, who is a Republican of long standing. So it was basically one entity criticizing another who's generally on the same side. I saw the news story this morning and when I saw SP and Scott's exchange, it made me think of that story.

Quote from: kkt on May 25, 2018, 11:51:02 AM
You don't stop to take things down from your windshield?  Wow.

I have a permanent mirror mount for my V1. The detector itself has grooves in the side and the holder is notched to fit perfectly. All you have to is slide it in. It can be done in one fluid motion that takes about 5 seconds. No stop necessary.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: Beltway on May 25, 2018, 02:45:34 PM
If you dislike driving in Virginia, then don't.  Problem solved.   :-]

Not sure what the square smiley is intended to mean (i.e. you might not have been serious), but that's a stupid statement to make.  For one thing, what about all the people who live in Virginia and disapprove of the way things are?  Then there are those who travel to or through Virginia for work or family engagements or who knows what else.

The whole idea of "if you don't like it here, move somewhere else" runs contrary to democracy.  What's the point of a democracy if all the people who don't like the way something is are told to move away?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Beltway

Quote from: Brandon on May 25, 2018, 04:02:52 PM
Quote from: Brandon on May 25, 2018, 11:58:19 AM
Quote from: kkt on May 25, 2018, 11:51:02 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 13, 2018, 03:27:03 PM
What a load of crap.

I typically take mine down while in motion and stick it in the console compartment.
Yet another reason to dislike driving in Virginia.
You don't stop to take things down from your windshield?  Wow.
That's not what he said.  He does take it down.  The problem is that with the way the asinine law is written, if it's not in a lockable trunk, he's still in violation, even with it in the console.
Well thank you, John Nestor.

John Nestor is a jerk.  I would not advocate nor practice running 55 mph in the left lane of the Capital Beltway, or anything of similar sort.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Quote from: kphoger on May 25, 2018, 04:24:35 PM
Not sure what the square smiley is intended to mean (i.e. you might not have been serious), but that's a stupid statement to make.  For one thing, what about all the people who live in Virginia and disapprove of the way things are?  Then there are those who travel to or through Virginia for work or family engagements or who knows what else.
The whole idea of "if you don't like it here, move somewhere else" runs contrary to democracy.  What's the point of a democracy if all the people who don't like the way something is are told to move away?

"Democracy" or the 1st Amendment or whatever you want to call it gives me the right to speak out as well.  I don't have to ask you for permission.  I am tired of seeing certain people post the same whine over and over again, in that case it has been going on for 20 years in online forums.  :pan:

(Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

Quote from: Beltway on May 25, 2018, 05:02:37 PM
"Democracy" or the 1st Amendment or whatever you want to call it gives me the right to speak out as well.  I don't have to ask you for permission.  I am tired of seeing certain people post the same whine over and over again, in that case it has been going on for 20 years in online forums.  :pan:

If you don't like me whining about you, then move to another forum.   :meh:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Beltway

Quote from: kphoger on May 25, 2018, 05:28:14 PM
Quote from: Beltway on May 25, 2018, 05:02:37 PM
If you don't like me whining about you, then move to another forum.   :meh:

Drink a glass of Epecac.  :-]

(Robert Coté, 2002)

kalvado

And an interesting question is if Virginia actually has safer roads than other states due to such enforcement (and that is generally the point of enforcement - safety.. at least that is what everyone says)
And VA is definitely safer than some of adjacent states - 0.90 fatalities per 100M miles traveled -  which is better than 1.16 national number.
That can also be compared to 1.26 in NC, 1.88 in SC  and 1.29 in GA to the south
On the northern hand, Maryland has 0.86, 0.76 in DC, 0.78 in NJ and 0.66 in MA.
I am not sure why there is such a divide, and if VA actually improves road safety with strict enforcement practices. There is no drastic improvement, that's for sure..

hotdogPi

Quote from: kalvado on May 25, 2018, 06:38:48 PM
And an interesting question is if Virginia actually has safer roads than other states due to such enforcement (and that is generally the point of enforcement - safety.. at least that is what everyone says)
And VA is definitely safer than some of adjacent states - 0.90 fatalities per 100M miles traveled -  which is better than 1.16 national number.
That can also be compared to 1.26 in NC, 1.88 in SC  and 1.29 in GA to the south
On the northern hand, Maryland has 0.86, 0.76 in DC, 0.78 in NJ and 0.66 in MA.
I am not sure why there is such a divide, and if VA actually improves road safety with strict enforcement practices. There is no drastic improvement, that's for sure..

My guess is that more congestion means fewer fatalities.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

oscar

I am not sure why there is such a divide, and if VA actually improves road safety with strict enforcement practices. There is no drastic improvement, that's for sure.

Good question how much stricter Virginia is than other states. For example, speed enforcement can be pretty unpleasant in neighboring Maryland, which makes up with its infestation of speed cameras for its not prohibiting radar detectors.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kphoger

Quote from: Beltway on May 25, 2018, 05:38:53 PM
Drink a glass of Epecac.  :-]

I don't own any syrup of ipecac.  But I do have some castor oil tucked away in the medicine cabinet, which leads to diarrhea when ingested.  I own it because I used to make my own pre-shave oil.
Male pronouns, please.

Takumi

Quote from: oscar on May 25, 2018, 06:51:09 PM
I am not sure why there is such a divide, and if VA actually improves road safety with strict enforcement practices. There is no drastic improvement, that's for sure.

Good question how much stricter Virginia is than other states. For example, speed enforcement can be pretty unpleasant in neighboring Maryland, which makes up with its infestation of speed cameras for its not prohibiting radar detectors.
And then there's DC, which has both speed cameras and a radar detector ban. But they have legal weed, so it balances out a bit. (At the risk of stoking the political fire again, I'm sure that sticks in Jeff Sessions' craw a bit.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on May 25, 2018, 04:19:33 PM
Besides, as a long time member of the forum, you know gratuitous political attacks and mud slinging are generally frowned upon.   :whip:
The story was about one of the big conservative groups (either Club For Growth or Americans For Prosperity, I can't remember which at the moment) running ads criticizing Kentucky's senior Congressman, who is a Republican of long standing. So it was basically one entity criticizing another who's generally on the same side. I saw the news story this morning and when I saw SP and Scott's exchange, it made me think of that story.

What makes you think that conservative groups don't have sharp differences of opinion?  Just look at the controversy over the never-Trumpers and the Cruzers, for example.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

Quote from: Beltway on May 25, 2018, 11:04:59 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 25, 2018, 04:19:33 PM

What makes you think that conservative groups don't have sharp differences of opinion?  Just look at the controversy over the never-Trumpers and the Cruzers, for example.

Or, before that, Cruz and the other Tea Partiers vs. establishment Republicans. This is barely news.

hbelkins

Concerning the "democracy" and "if you don't like it, move" comments, the USA was set up to be a laboratory of democracy and the states were supposed to be the experiments. Each state was supposed to have some autonomy in setting up its government and its laws, and people were free to relocate to a state whose laws and customs were more in tune with their own likings.

I've often said that the scenery and the road-related attractions of Virginia are very appealing, but I don't like the "warrantless wiretapping" speed monitoring eavesdropping that goes on.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on May 26, 2018, 02:16:21 PM
I've often said that the scenery and the road-related attractions of Virginia are very appealing, but I don't like the "warrantless wiretapping" speed monitoring eavesdropping that goes on.

That's true lots of other places too, especially with speed cameras that don't always trigger your radar detector before you're snapped and put in the queue for a ticket in the mail.

Much as I disagree with Virginia's ban on radar detector use, that doesn't stop me from traveling a lot in Canada, which is (except for the three westernmost provinces) completely hopeless on that issue.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Beltway

That is as absurd statement on several levels.  Every state uses radar technology for speed law enforcement.  It is not "warrantless" and it is not "wiretapping", it is a legal and tested method of remotely determining vehicular speeds.  For you this is Virginia Whine #265.  If you don't like the laws somewhere you have several options as outlined before.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

Quote from: Beltway on May 26, 2018, 05:45:21 PM

That is as absurd statement on several levels.  Every state uses radar technology for speed law enforcement.  It is not "warrantless" and it is not "wiretapping", it is a legal and tested method of remotely determining vehicular speeds.  For you this is Virginia Whine #265.  If you don't like the laws somewhere you have several options as outlined before.

But every other state gives you the opportunity to know that you are being surveilled.

kalvado

Quote from: hbelkins on May 26, 2018, 06:18:06 PM

But every other state gives you the opportunity to know that you are being surveilled.
Will be corrected - e.g. with more cameras. I can envision fully passive speed control system using a camera and some marks on pavement, for example. Also helps tracking your license plate without too much warning.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on May 26, 2018, 06:18:06 PM
Every state uses radar technology for speed law enforcement.  It is not "warrantless" and it is not "wiretapping", it is a legal and tested method of remotely determining vehicular speeds.  For you this is Virginia Whine #265.  If you don't like the laws somewhere you have several options as outlined before.

Not true, look back upthread at post#3, the text quoted in green.  Besides, electronics is one of my many hobby interests over the years, and "surveilence" is not an accurate term for what radar technology does.  Also, VASCAR does basically the same thing but does not utilize radio waves.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

If your reference is to the portion about mounting things to your windshield, that would apply to GPS units as well. Most radar detectors come with a clip mount that attaches to your sun visor. That's what I used for years with my original version (a Fuzzbuster) until I found a windshield mount for it. The mount I have now permanently attaches to the rear view mirror, so it's not on the windshield either.

ADDENDUM: The way that the no-mounting-on-windshield laws are written in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, they would appear to ban E-ZPasses as well. Go figure.

Takumi

I don't agree with the ban, but I don't live in fear about it. I just stay close to the speed limit in areas I know are frequently patrolled.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

Concerning the "democracy" and "if you don't like it, move" comments, the USA was set up to be a laboratory of democracy and the states were supposed to be the experiments. Each state was supposed to have some autonomy in setting up its government and its laws, and people were free to relocate to a state whose laws and customs were more in tune with their own likings.

If you're not breaking the law, then what do you have to fear?

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 27, 2018, 07:57:10 AM

Speed limits are often underposted; moving with the speed of traffic is usually safer than intentionally going the speed limit.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

abefroman329

Quote from: 1 on May 27, 2018, 08:00:44 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 27, 2018, 07:57:10 AM

Speed limits are often underposted; moving with the speed of traffic is usually safer than intentionally going the speed limit.

Often, yes, although "I was moving with the flow of traffic"  won't necessarily get you out of a ticket if you get pulled over.

Also, in situations such as, say, driving west on 316 from Athens after a UGA football game, driving the speed limit is a good way of saying "I'm driving drunk."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.