Savannah officials suggest tolls could pay for Truman Parkway maintenance

Started by afguy, May 21, 2018, 11:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afguy

I'm not sure this will be a good idea.
QuoteCity staff has been working on an agreement for Chatham to take over maintenance responsibilities of some portions of the parkway, with the eventual goal of having the road placed under the care of the county or state highway system.

"I believe that maintenance of Phases I and II places a burden upon the taxpayers of our city and county since it is clearly a regional asset providing regional benefit,"  Hernandez said in an April 28 letter to Smith.

In the meantime, the city and county manager are proposing that Chatham would maintain the third, fourth and fifth phases of the parkway, covering DeRenne Avenue to Georgia 204/Abercorn Extension. The city would retain responsibility for the first two phases from President Street to DeRenne Avenue. The maintenance duties would include mowing, litter control, roadway repairs, signage and paving.

Hernandez also suggested in his letter to Smith that they consider incorporating the roadway under the State Road and Tollway Authority or creating an independent expressway authority.

"This expressway is too important to the region's mobility and economy so it is only prudent that we look into sustainable, long-term funding solutions for its operation and maintenance,"  Hernandez wrote.

The final phase of the parkway, which extended the road from Whitefield to GA 204/Abercorn Street extension, was completed by the Georgia Department of Transportation in 2013.
http://www.savannahnow.com/news/20180521/savannah-officials-suggest-tolls-could-pay-for-truman-parkway-maintenance

Henry

GA 400 north of Atlanta just had its tolls removed, so why would the state want new ones on another highway?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

edwaleni

Quote from: afguy on May 21, 2018, 11:15:39 AM
I'm not sure this will be a good idea.
QuoteCity staff has been working on an agreement for Chatham to take over maintenance responsibilities of some portions of the parkway, with the eventual goal of having the road placed under the care of the county or state highway system.

"I believe that maintenance of Phases I and II places a burden upon the taxpayers of our city and county since it is clearly a regional asset providing regional benefit,"  Hernandez said in an April 28 letter to Smith.

In the meantime, the city and county manager are proposing that Chatham would maintain the third, fourth and fifth phases of the parkway, covering DeRenne Avenue to Georgia 204/Abercorn Extension. The city would retain responsibility for the first two phases from President Street to DeRenne Avenue. The maintenance duties would include mowing, litter control, roadway repairs, signage and paving.

Hernandez also suggested in his letter to Smith that they consider incorporating the roadway under the State Road and Tollway Authority or creating an independent expressway authority.

"This expressway is too important to the region's mobility and economy so it is only prudent that we look into sustainable, long-term funding solutions for its operation and maintenance,"  Hernandez wrote.

The final phase of the parkway, which extended the road from Whitefield to GA 204/Abercorn Street extension, was completed by the Georgia Department of Transportation in 2013.
http://www.savannahnow.com/news/20180521/savannah-officials-suggest-tolls-could-pay-for-truman-parkway-maintenance

Truman Parkway/ GA204 is a hurricane evac route for Tybee Island that bypasses downtown. I seriously doubt it will be tolled.

In fact it needs some improvements where it passes the mall and university. Otherwise it makes a great southern Savannah bypass.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.