News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AASHTO Spring Meeting 2018

Started by WashuOtaku, May 22, 2018, 11:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WashuOtaku

Thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and start a thread for this since it's happening today. Sad that nobody has posted any of the requests, but hopeful that the actions will be quickly reported.

US71

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 22, 2018, 11:07:38 AM
Thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and start a thread for this since it's happening today. Sad that nobody has posted any of the requests, but hopeful that the actions will be quickly reported.

I've not been able to find any specifics
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

froggie

Ever since Marty retired, they've been slower with updates and less clear with responses...

webny99

In the vein of "things every roadgeek should know" ... Who is Marty?

roadman

Quote from: webny99 on May 22, 2018, 02:19:11 PM
Marty Vitale, former secretary of the AASHTO Special Committee on Route Numbering.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

NE2

Corco's latest unavailable crush.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

webny99

Quote from: NE2 on May 22, 2018, 02:43:23 PM

Unavailable to corco? or unavailable to everyone else?  :bigass:

kphoger

Quote from: roadman on May 22, 2018, 02:31:06 PM
Marty Vitale, former secretary of the AASHTO Special Committee on Route Numbering.

If you study the life of Marty Vitale, you are known as a viatologist.

Quote from: webny99 on May 22, 2018, 03:10:50 PM

Just unavailable to NE2.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: kphoger on May 22, 2018, 04:24:39 PM
Quote from: roadman on May 22, 2018, 02:31:06 PM

If you study the life of Marty Vitale, you are known as a viatologist.

Or a vitalologist? ;)
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

CNGL-Leudimin

What is not happening on this meeting: the removal of I-894. :sleep:
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Bickendan

I'm curious if I-5BL in Seattle's a submission.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on May 22, 2018, 04:24:39 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 22, 2018, 03:10:50 PM

Just unavailable to NE2.

She declined his application on the grounds that the alignment submitted did not meet minimum length requirements.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

english si

The ballot is fixed a month before the meeting.

But I'd imagine they wouldn't want the ballot made public before the vote, so as to avoid lobbying. And the SCRN is on the first day of the event (pretty sure it used to be later), so we'd have to wait a little bit before they get back to the office and make the file and upload it.

bob7374

The decisions from the 2018 Spring Meeting have been posted (Report):
https://route.transportation.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2018/05/018_Report-to-CHS_USRN-Application-Results.pdf

Applications and summary documents can be found here: https://route.transportation.org/committee-notices-actions-and-approvals/past-meetings/

They include apparently 3 somewhat unclear applications from NCDOT for I-140 (extending it east of I-40), I-285 and the elimination of US 311 between I-73 in Randleman and US 52 in Winston-Salem.

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on May 25, 2018, 01:54:41 PM
The decisions from the 2018 Spring Meeting have been posted (Report):
https://route.transportation.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2018/05/018_Report-to-CHS_USRN-Application-Results.pdf

Applications and summary documents can be found here: https://route.transportation.org/committee-notices-actions-and-approvals/past-meetings/

They include apparently 3 somewhat unclear applications from NCDOT for I-140 (extending it south/west from US 421 to US 421, not though east of I-40), I-285 and the elimination of US 311 between I-73 in Randleman and US 52 in Winston-Salem.

Eth

A rerouting of US 29 in Lawrenceville, GA that I didn't know about:

QuoteThe relocation of U.S. Route 29 will provide
the traveling public with a higher capacity route by
avoiding traffic generators and constraints through the
downtown area of Lawrenceville. The relocation will move
from a 4 lane highway and one-way pair operation to a 4
lane divided facility with limited access. The local
governments have been consulted and concur in the
relocation of this route to State Route 316 and the
Lawrenceville Suwanee Road. U.S. Route 29 signs will be
removed from the present-day location when the AASHTO
application is approved by the Committee.

I really feel like it would make far more sense to put US 29 on Sugarloaf Pkwy instead, so I can only assume GDOT's higher priority is reducing mileage. Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road doesn't even have an interchange with 316, so presumably it's making a short hop on GA 120 to get there.

Additionally we have US 341 being moved onto the bypass around Perry, replacing current 341 Bypass. 341 Bypass is signed on the ground, but isn't mentioned from I-75 (indeed, the most recent GMSV run there has the exit still signed as Thompson Rd, which is what was there before the bypass was built).

LM117

Regarding I-285 in NC...why did NCDOT need AASHTO's approval to sign it when FHWA had already officially added it to the interstate system back in February? NCDOT never asked AASHTO for permission to sign the entire length of the Knightdale Bypass as I-87, but they did anyway once FHWA signed off on it.

What gives? :confused:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

MikeTheActuary

Regarding US84 in Alabama...I drove it when I was down there in February.  Not sure when the new alignment opened, but I had the sense that it was very recent event at that point (and a LONG time in coming) -- the stretch east of AL 125 wasn't even up on Google maps.

The signage was confusing -- both the old and new alignments were signed as 84 -- but it was clear which alignment was preferred.

Downtown Elba was already suffering (a couple of major floods will do that!)  I expect it'll be extremely desolate before too much longer, and a few businesses in town have already shifted to the new bypass.

My wife and I drove over to Elba to visit the grave of the person who introduced us, who had passed a couple of months before.  I was somewhat surprised with the new alignment -- my first job after college was at a company located at the east end of the realignment.  My wife slept through most of the drive over from Dothan, and upon waking was extremely confused.  ("Are you sure this is Elba?" "Well, dear, we just drove through where your house used to be." "I don't see it".  "That's kinda my point.")

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 22, 2018, 04:44:06 PM
What is not happening on this meeting: the removal of I-894. :sleep:

I don't know why people need to mention 894 every year. The reasons it was kept are well-documented.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NE2

AL US 84 relocation (Elba)
AR US 82 relocation (Montrose)
AR US 82B creation (Montrose) has existed since before 1953
AR US 165 relocation (Gillett)
AR US 165B creation (Gillett) has existed since 1982
AR US 167 relocation (Thornton)
AR US 167B creation (Thornton) denied probably since it doesn't return to US 167; has existed since 1968
GA USBR 15 creation
GA USBR 321 -> 221 renumbering
GA USBR 521 -> 421 renumbering
GA US 29 relocation (Lawrenceville) contingent on signing it as a continuous route
GA US 341 relocation (Perry)
GA US 341 Byp. elimination (Perry)
IN I-69 extension (Bloomington to Martinsville) contingent on signature
IN US 421 relocation (Madison)
KS USBR 66 creation
KS USBR 76 relocation (Great Bend)
MI US 131 Bus. elimination (Grand Rapids)
MI USBR 35 relocation (Charlevoix, Holland?)
MO USBR 66 creation
MT US 93 Alt. creation (Kalispell)
NV USBR 50 creation
NC I-140 extension contingent on signature
NC I-285 creation contingent on signature
NC US 311 truncation
OH USBR 50 relocation
OK US 270 relocation (Seminole)
PA USBR 30 creation (replacing BicyclePA Z)
PA USBR 36 creation (replacing BicyclePA Y and Y1)
TX US 59 relocation (Nacogdoches)
TX US 59 Bus. extension (Nacogdoches)
WA USBR 97 relocation (Oak Harbor)
WA USBR 10 relocation (Newport)
WA USBR 310 creation
WA USBR 610 creation
WY US 14/87 relocation (Sheridan)
IN US 12 relocation (Gary) no application included

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bickendan

Looks like my majority clinch of US 14 in Wyoming just got hit.

I don't understand the point of USBR 610 WSDOT applied for. I was also hoping for an application of I-5 BL Seattle.

fillup420

So the seemingly useless southern leg of US 311 is finally being eliminated? Thats great! Does this mean the new southern terminus is at US 52?

LM117

Quote from: fillup420 on May 26, 2018, 10:06:31 AM
So the seemingly useless southern leg of US 311 is finally being eliminated? Thats great! Does this mean the new southern terminus is at US 52?

I'm still waiting for US-264 to be truncated back to Zebulon...
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

NE2

Quote from: Bickendan on May 26, 2018, 01:07:13 AM
Looks like my majority clinch of US 14 in Wyoming just got hit.
Whatever. It's just a minor realignment due to interchange reconstruction.

US71

Quote from: NE2 on May 26, 2018, 12:19:45 AM

AR US 167B creation (Thornton) denied probably since it doesn't return to US 167; has existed since 1968

Needs to be 167 Spur, IMO. It's little more than a shortcut between US 167 and US 79B.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.