News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best song about being a touring musician?

Started by abefroman329, May 25, 2018, 01:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best song about being a touring musician?

"The Load Out/Stay" - Jackson Browne
3 (15%)
"Turn the Page" - Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
8 (40%)
"Travelin' Band" - CCR
1 (5%)
The wrong answer
8 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 20

abefroman329

jon daly

"Turn The Page" Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band.

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

HazMatt

Quote from: jon daly on May 25, 2018, 01:56:11 PM

This is the correct answer.  A great cover of the Metallica song. I'm kidding.

abefroman329

OK fine, I'll allow this one, just don't come at me with Wherever I May Roam or Wanted Dead Or Alive like either can hold a candle to the two options.

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 25, 2018, 02:03:11 PM

OK fine, I'll allow this one, just don't come at me with Wherever I May Roam or Wanted Dead Or Alive like either can hold a candle to the two options.

I'm okay with this.

Throw in Travelin' Band by Creedence Clearwater Revival since it mentions aircraft right at the start.

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on May 25, 2018, 03:30:57 PM

I'm okay with this.

Throw in Travelin' Band by Creedence Clearwater Revival since it mentions aircraft right at the start.

Done.

Lots of Bob Seger fans on this board.

Brandon

You're limiting it to only these three?  There's a whole shitload of them out there.

"Rock and Roll Band" - Boston
"It's a Long Way to the Top" & 'Highway to Hell" - ACDC
"We're An American Band" - Grand Funk Railroad
"On the Road Again" - Willie Nelson (topical for AA Roads, IMHO)
"Midnight Music" - Runaways

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_about_touring (for some examples - not all I know of are listed).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Chicago did several. "Introduction" and "Listen" (from Chicago Transit Authority), "The Road" (from Chicago II), "Wishing You Were Here" (from Chicago VI) and "Scrapbook" (from Chicago X) are just five.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 25, 2018, 03:39:19 PM
Quote from: formulanone on May 25, 2018, 03:30:57 PM

I'm okay with this.

Done.

Lots of Bob Seger fans on this board.

Okay, I'll call off the state militia.

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on May 25, 2018, 03:59:49 PM
"On the Road Again" - Willie Nelson

This is the correct answer.  Unfortunately, it wasn't on the ballot, so I abstained from voting.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 25, 2018, 05:26:59 PM
Quote from: Brandon on May 25, 2018, 03:59:49 PM
"On the Road Again" - Willie Nelson

This is the correct answer.  Unfortunately, it wasn't on the ballot, so I abstained from voting.

That's another good one, but I'm not editing the poll again.

gonealookin

The Grateful Dead's "Truckin" contains the most famous line in one of these songs:  "What a long, strange trip it's been."

vegas1962

I'm partial to "Life's Been Good"  by Joe Walsh.

kurumi

My fave is Psychostick's "Girl Directions" (driving around in your van == touring, right?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5_HhqcbF_0
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

abefroman329

Quote from: vegas1962 on May 26, 2018, 12:24:54 AM

I think that's about being a successful musician, not touring. Is that the track that ends with the flock of waah-waahs?

jon daly

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 26, 2018, 07:21:54 AM

I think that's about being a successful musician, not touring. Is that the track that ends with the flock of waah-waahs?

I think you're referring to the talk box in "Rocky Mountain Way." I was surprised when I found out it was from 1973. The audio fidelity sounded like it was recorded a few years after that.

bugo

"It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)" by AC/DC is a good one.

abefroman329

Quote from: jon daly on May 26, 2018, 04:35:47 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 26, 2018, 07:21:54 AM

I think you're referring to the talk box in "Rocky Mountain Way." I was surprised when I found out it was from 1973. The audio fidelity sounded like it was recorded a few years after that.

No, there's literally a Joe Walsh or James Gang track with a secret bit at the end where someone in the band goes "Uh-oh, here comes a flock of waah-waahs!"  and the band starts making waah-waah noises.

I just looked it up and it is Life's Been Good.

OracleUsr

"Travelling Band" mentions a 737, sorry for the semi-off-topic, but the DK Karaoke CD-G has a picture of a  DC-9.

Definitely "Turn the Page" though the Jackson Brown dual  hit is second for me.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

abefroman329

I do like the last verse of Turn The Page, particularly the line about smoking the day's last cigarette, but The Load-Out/Stay is just a gorgeous piece of music. They played it on Radio Caroline the other day, which is what inspired this thread, but the only played the first song, which was weird to hear. Normally the only time I hear one song or the other is on Pandora.

hbelkins

As someone who grew up in the Bob Seger era in the 70s and early 80s, I came to absolutely detest "Turn The Page," simply because it was played so often and so many other people seemed to love that song. I can't even stomach Metallica's cover version.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Metallica's cover is good. So is their version of Whiskey in the Jar. And they do a pretty good cover of Tuesday's Gone by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

spooky

I'm partial to "Rock and Roll Band" by Boston because it mentions my home state.

abefroman329

Do Aerosmith have any songs that mention Boston or Mass?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.