News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Official State Highway Road Images

Started by ErmineNotyours, June 03, 2018, 12:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErmineNotyours

A few years ago on a site documenting the north end of Interstate 5 in Washington, an image from SR Web was included.  I investigated, and it turned out to be the official documentation of highway images in Washington State: SR Web.  I had heard that the state has been filming their highways for years, but here I found the most current images.  Coming just a few years after Google Street View became common, the discovery of this site wasn't as exciting as it could be, but I soon found some advantages.  Though the images initially displayed are small (they can be made bigger), that's an advantage because you can rapidly click the ">" button and simulate driving down the highway.  Chrome is best for this.  Accompanying each highway's page are detailed descriptions of the number of lanes the road has and other features, but what's really interesting are the mileages.  "Equations" mark where a project has lengthened or shortened a road.  Very fascinating.  They only display the current imagery, and they update each highway every other year, but I just recently noticed how you can open an image in a new tab, and then find where the year appears in the file path and type in any previous year you want.  You can't so easy drive older images (until I sharpen my coding skills), but at least they aren't unreachable.  If they photograph people or signs along the road, they don't fuzz them out.  Somewhere along SR 507 in Centralia was a sequence of someone getting out of a car, and then two people embracing each other.  Those images have been supplanted by newer images, and I'm trying to find the old ones.

After that, I wondered if other states had this service, but how would I search for it?  I eventually found Oregon's ODOT Digital Video Log.  Their system isn't laid out so logically.  The posted highway number usually doesn't match the number in the service, and you have to look in a conversion table on a PDF.  They automatically advance you through the images, but it doesn't offer the same level of control as Washington's service.  Unlike Washington, they cover freeway ramps.  Using the site I found anomalies such as 99W starting out southbound just off I-5, but then jumping to cover the Steel Bridge, and island not otherwise connected to the rest of the system.  Also strange is that neither Washington nor Oregon lay claim to the Oregon side of the Lewis and Clark Bridge near Longview.  Washington's coverage begins right at the state line, but Oregon doesn't cover it at all.

I next tried to see if British Columbia had a similar service so I could find the official end of the Trans-Canada Highway, but they only have a printed list of their road inventory.  Has anyone else found similar official government services in their localities?

ErmineNotyours

Another interesting thing about Oregon's service is a section of old US 30 east of Hood River.  It has been turned into a pedestrian and bicycle trail, yet it is still in the state highway system and is covered in the log.

kurumi

ConnDOT has partial route coverage, from 2008 to 2013 only, at its Photolog homepage.

For 2008, there is coverage of many routes (US, Interstate, and state route 171 and below... for your convenience, there's a dropdown with 290 choices).

By 2009, it's basically US 1 and I-84, 91 and 95 only.

2013 is the last year available.

I haven't looked at these since 2008 or so. You'll need Windows Media Player (the ConnDOT site is extreeeemely Windowsy).
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hbelkins

Kentucky has a photolog. Virginia used to, but I think it has vanished.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sbeaver44

Mr. Matté

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.