News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

"California Highway Bulletin," 1912-1916

Started by Kniwt, June 03, 2018, 07:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

The predecessor to California Highways & Public Works is also available:
https://archive.org/details/californiahighwa191216cal

In general, it has much larger photos than did the early years of CH&PW. A couple of examples from the first issue, October 1912:

gonealookin

I'm thinking the Commission made the right choice for the routing of future US 99 from Fresno to LA.  Of course the US 99/I-5 routing still makes a detour up around Yreka to appease the local interests.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: gonealookin on June 05, 2018, 11:52:59 AM
I'm thinking the Commission made the right choice for the routing of future US 99 from Fresno to LA.  Of course the US 99/I-5 routing still makes a detour up around Yreka to appease the local interests.

Really I'm kind of surprised US 99 wasn't routed to Visalia or at least LRN 4.  You can see the very early LRN 10 running from Visalia to Hanford, both which would have been fairly major locales at the time.  Interesting to see a proposed route north of Hanford following the rails to Fresno, I'm sure the crossing at the Old Kingston Grade would have been utilized.  Interesting to see Tulare Lake at such a healthy level on a highway map.  From I-5 at Kettleman City if you look eastward you'll see a large flat of land of as large as the eye can see which was the lake before farmers systematically conspired to engineer it out of existence.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.