News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I35 from Winterset to Des Moines

Started by rte66man, June 05, 2018, 11:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

I've been intrigued by the rebuild going on with I35 from just south of the Winterset exit north to IA5 in West Des Moines.  The original carriageways (early 60's?) were way too close to each other so Iowa is building a new southbound carriageway to the west, moving the northbound traffic onto the old southbound carriageway, rebuilding the northbound lanes, then tearing out the old southbound lanes leaving a much wider median.

Here are some pictures taken this past Memorial Day weekend:

Southbound at the Norwalk exit.  Plenty of room to expand to six lanes in the future.

The bridges are already wide enough for six lanes.

The new sections are interspersed.

Southbound approaching the rebuilt IA92 exit for Winterset.

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

mvak36

I drive up to Des Moines every once in a while and was wondering why those "Road Closed" barriers are there. This explains a lot.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

DandyDan

I was wondering about that when I drove to Kansas City earlier this year. Is the construction ultimately supposed to go to Missouri or end before that?
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Highway63

The original carriageways, and diamond exits, from Osceola to the west mixmaster are Iowa's FIRST rural interstate segment from the fall of 1958. That's why their ramps are shorter and smaller than other diamonds in the state.

While the state is looking long-term at six-laning multiple corridors, I-35 south of Des Moines is not on that priority list. However, with the need to replace multiple bridges at the end of their lifespans, I think the DOT is engaged in a "draw for six, bridge for six, stripe for four" pattern. The first incident like this was the I-80 bridge over the Cedar River, where the EB lanes were moved southward and two three-lane bridges were built, but six-laning the longer road is a decade or so out. I-35 over the Skunk River is happening now but that WILL be paved to six because it's between Des Moines and Ames.

I'm not going to count stuff like this as a de-clinching on my end though. ;)

WhitePoleRD

I live in Winterset and use 35 about half the time when I go to DSM (169-80 is equidistant and arguably more scenic).

I lived in Guthrie Center five years ago and my wife (then girlfriend) lived in Indianola. They were still working on this part of the road. I'm glad that it's finally finished.

You take the high road, I'll take the low road and I'll be in Iowa before ye.

MNHighwayMan

Huh. I've been on I-35 south of Des Moines (well, south of IA-5) precisely once, and I was wondering (though not enough so to ask) what those were about. Now I know.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.