News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Great road you have driven

Started by fillup420, June 16, 2018, 04:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

NC 12 is cool. Goes between the beaches and the villages on the Outer Banks.

MA 6A is also cool, especially in Provincetown when it gets right up along Cape Cod Bay.

Gulol

Having just returned from an Alaskan vacation, I'll say the Seward Highway from Potter Marsh south to Seward.  Not only was the pavement in good shape, but the scenery was amazing.  No accidents and no construction going on to delay the drive time, so I evidently got lucky in that aspect. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 07, 2018, 12:49:15 PM

MA 6A is also cool, especially in Provincetown when it gets right up along Cape Cod Bay.

One that I always thought was criminally underrated in North Carolina was NC 28.  US 129 being so close by definitely steals a ton of the spotlight.

slorydn1

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 07, 2018, 01:32:41 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 07, 2018, 12:49:15 PM

One that I always thought was criminally underrated in North Carolina was NC 28.  US 129 being so close by definitely steals a ton of the spotlight.

:clap:

Yes yes yes to NC-28-especially right there by the Fontana Dam.

I've done the Skyline Drive-Blue Ridge Parkway-Smoky Mountains Parkway as one single drive (well, over a 2 day span anyway) and they are spectacular.

Lake Shore Drive, southbound from Rogers Park into the city with the downtown buildings spread out in front of you is stunning on a clear morning with the Sun coming up over Lake Michigan.

+1 to RobbieL2415 for NC-12, too.

Various mountain Interstates that I have mentioned before in the favorite Interstate thread, too.

Oh and NY-9A in NYC (and I know that people from there will think I am absolutely nuts due to the traffic) is gorgeous, too.

I guess I am biasing my comments more towards great views which I am not sure if that's exactly what the OP was looking for but for me that's what makes a road great, as well as other things like challenging to drive (etc).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

bugo

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 07, 2018, 11:36:36 PM
Lake Shore Drive, southbound from Rogers Park into the city with the downtown buildings spread out in front of you is stunning on a clear morning with the Sun coming up over Lake Michigan.

That's another good one. The buildings one side and the lake on the other. Lake Michigan is so big that it looks like an ocean.

Nexus 5X

Bickendan

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bickendan on July 09, 2018, 12:01:19 AM
US 16A near Rushmore.

US 14A and SD 87 are pretty up there too.

bugo

I-376 east of I-79 through Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The experience of exiting the Fort Pitt Tunnel is well-known and well-documented. The city pops out of nowhere. The highway east of downtown runs along the Monongahela River and many bridges can be seen. It then goes through the Squirrel Hill Tunnel. It's a spectacular drive.

Nexus 5X

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 09, 2018, 12:09:07 AM
Quote from: Bickendan on July 09, 2018, 12:01:19 AM
US 16A near Rushmore.
US 14A and SD 87 are pretty up there too.

Perfect timing!
I had the privilege of driving US 16A and SD 87 (Needles Highway) just a few days ago.

According to the thread title, we can only pick one road, and I'd have to give US 16A the edge, not because of better scenery per se, but because of the many tunnels and stunning surprise views of Rushmore.

webny99

Quote from: bugo on July 08, 2018, 03:39:16 AM
Lake Michigan is so big that it looks like an ocean.

Same goes for all the Great Lakes; Ontario and Superior  even more so than Michigan.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.