News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite barbecue joint?

Started by bugo, July 07, 2018, 10:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 09, 2018, 09:09:55 AMRegional Chain - Sonny's (southeast, mostly GA and FL)

I used to love Sonny's, but I haven't been there in 20 years. I hope it's still good.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: bugo on July 07, 2018, 10:22:01 PM
What are your favorite BBQ restaurants? I like quite a few. Here are some of my favorite 'cue joints by state:

Missouri: Gates, LC's and many others in Kansas City.

Arkansas: Smitty's in Conway, Jo Jo's in Sherwood, McClard's in Hot Springs.

Oklahoma: Elmer's in Tulsa.

Not Wild Horse Mountain?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

webny99

paulthemapguy

Black Dog in Urbana, IL.  Lines would trail out the door and down the block at their flagship location--they opened up a second spot in Champaign and I've been itching to see it.  One of the top rated in the nation, I've heard!

Breckenridge Brewing in Denver has excellent BBQ too (it qualifies as a BBQ joint).  And I will say that Mission BBQ earns its hype.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Virgil's, especially considering it's a BBQ joint in Times Square. The chicken wings and the biscuits and gravy were my Friday night dinner for many years.

inkyatari

The absolute BEST BBQ I've ever had was at a diner in the town of Pig, KY, just a mile or two south of Mammoth Cave National Park, and that is the Porky Pig Diner.  Typical small town diner feel, no menus, but everything is listed on a Pepsi letter board over the counter.  We were turned on to this place by one of the park rangers.  Several of them will buy whole smoked pork butts from them.

We went there in 2010, and we had already eaten at Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro, KY on the trip and I was reluctant to eat more BBQ for some reason (don't ask me why,) and one of the owners talked me into it, and I'm glad he did.

The owner was telling me about how they get visitors from all over the world, and that how the international visitors, especially those from France, were shocked at the concept of a dry county.  Really great people, and great small town food to boot.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

wriddle082

Quote from: Rothman on July 11, 2018, 12:43:11 AM
Quote from: webny99 on July 10, 2018, 10:44:21 PM
Dinosaur BBQ
<end thread>
Overrated.

"Greatest"  BBQ does not come from the Northeast.  Ever.  Period.

Only areas from Missouri and Kansas south, Texas east, and Georgia west, can claim to have "greatest"  level BBQ.  (Notice how I left out the Carolinas?)

Anyway, I've always been partial to dry rub ribs, and the only time I ever ate a full rack in one sitting was at The Rendezvous in Downtown Memphis about 20 years ago, and I desperately need to go back.  I am also partial to pulled pork sandwiches from many places throughout Nashville, and have really started to like brisket more and more and therefore need to get back to Texas and try more places out.

webny99

Dinosaur BBQ
<end thread>
Overrated.
Maybe on some stuff, but they have great sides. And a great cookbook for those who agree.
It is iconic, and it is necessary to take first time visitors there, even if I personally am not totally blown away any more.

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 11, 2018, 09:09:04 AM
"Greatest"  BBQ does not come from the Northeast East Coast.  Ever.  Period.
FTFY. There's a big difference, as you would know if you'd ever been to Upstate NY.

hbelkins

Quote from: inkyatari on July 11, 2018, 08:54:55 AM
We went there in 2010, and we had already eaten at Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro, KY on the trip and I was reluctant to eat more BBQ for some reason (don't ask me why,) and one of the owners talked me into it, and I'm glad he did.

Someone has posted about this place before. (Maybe you?)

I was wondering if anyone would mention Moonlite. It gets all the publicity, but I'm told that Old Hickory in Owensboro is much better.

Someone mentioned Sonny's. They're in Kentucky, and the one in Richmond has a fanbase. I've never eaten there, but I hear it's good.

There's a local chain in the Knoxville area called Buddy's. My brother and I ate at the Kingston location the evening of the eclipse last year, and it was pretty good.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 11, 2018, 09:09:04 AM"Greatest"  BBQ does not come from the Northeast.  Ever.  Period.

Actually, I recently learned of HooDoo's near Danbury, CT, which places very high in some national rankings.  I haven't been myself, but the reviews are such that I suspect it's actually some kind of dimensional warp that has caused a piece of Texas to appear alongside Route 7, because it couldn't actually be in CT.  My wife and I WILL be making a pilgrimage at some point soon.

HooDoo's reputation is such that I've gone from describing Bears as "best BBQ in CT (but that doesn't say much)" to "it's just down the street and the sauces are decent, but...".

In terms of absolute favorite 'que... I grew up and regularly visit Memphis, so how do I choose just one?  :)

In KC, my favorite would be the Corky's I had FedExxed in from Memphis, just to tweak the locals who always had Jack's catered in for quarterly meetings.  (Corky's is overrated in Memphis -- although not as overrated as Rendezvous -- but it's still pretty good.)  When visiting the area, I preferred Arthur Bryant's to Jack's and Gates', but I'm aware there are other places I should have tried.  However standard KC sauce is sweeter than I like my vitamin Q to be.  (I prefer dry rub, but if I'm going wet I want my sauce to be tangy with a little bit of bite.)

In San Antonio, my favorite would be the ambrosia prepared by a coworker who spends his weekends in season competing and frequently winning area contests.  His sauces are a little smokier than I prefer, and he specializes in beef which every Memphian knows isn't real BBQ, but that aside his meats are incredible, and he has the best baked beans I've ever had.

Damn.  Now I want some BBQ.  Guess I'm going to have to go make do with Bears', when they open in a few minutes.

qguy

"Greatest"  BBQ does not come from the Northeast.  Ever.  Period.

OK, so I won't call it "greatest." That would just be dumb. How would someone defend that anyway? I'll put it this way though: I love barbecue and I look for it everywhere I travel. One of my favorites is where you'd least expect it. Sweet Lucy's Smokehouse in northeast Philadelphia. The ribs are fall-off-the-bone tender. They start with a dry rub and sauce the ribs at the end, if you want, or you can sauce the ribs yourself. The sides are great (except the cole slaw, which in my opinion is just so-so), the corn bread is moist and flavorful, and the sweet tea is sweetened with simple syrup (the secret to great sweet tea).

The owners started out years ago operating out of a truck at lunchtime in a light industrial area and became so popular they moved into the corner of a nearby industrial building (on State Rd, a few blocks above Cottman Ave., if anyone wants to know).

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on July 11, 2018, 09:43:47 AM
Dinosaur BBQ
<end thread>
Overrated.
Maybe on some stuff, but they have great sides. And a great cookbook for those who agree.
It is iconic, and it is necessary to take first time visitors there, even if I personally am not totally blown away any more.

"Greatest"  BBQ does not come from the Northeast East Coast.  Ever.  Period.
FTFY. There's a big difference, as you would know if you'd ever been to Upstate NY.
Dinosaur hasn't been around long enough to be iconic.  It is average at best.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ilpt4u

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 10, 2018, 11:09:39 PM
Black Dog in Urbana, IL.  Lines would trail out the door and down the block at their flagship location--they opened up a second spot in Champaign and I've been itching to see it.  One of the top rated in the nation, I've heard
Can't say I've had that one. I've had Lil Porgy's up that way, and its very good (I think)

ftballfan

The best I've had in Michigan has to be Smokehouse 52 in Chelsea, MI. Almost always lines on weekend nights! I usually have a pulled pork sandwich that comes with bacon and Mac and cheese (with a side of Mac and cheese) and it's always really good (and usually comes out relatively quickly).

csw

Some great ones off the top of my head...

Ray's in Norman, OK, had pulled pork to die for.
Serious Texas in Durango, CO, was heavenly after getting out of the San Juan NF backcountry (they have locations all over CO and NM)
Sonny's is a regional chain that I also love. We'd always stop at the one in Corbin, KY, on our way to the Smokies.

ce929wax

I've eaten at Buddy's in Knoxville once.  It was OK, but not the best I have ever had.  I prefer Texas BBQ to North Carolina though, so that could have something to do with it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.