News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tactical flashlight recommendations

Started by bugo, July 08, 2018, 01:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I'm working as a security officer on the graveyard shift. I work outside and need a bright flashlight. I would want a large rugged flashlight that uses 3 or 4 D-cell batteries. What brands/models do you recommend? What are the advantages and disadvantages of LED bulbs compared to other kinds of bulbs? I want it to be very bright but to have good battery life. My budget is~$50.

Nexus 5X

slorydn1

Back when I did that sort of thing in the late 80's I carried a 4 D-cell Maglight. It did eat batteries but it was useful as both a light and a defensive tool. I also had a small mini-mag that was pretty bright as well. The 4-D still works, one of my kids now has that flashlight in his car in case he breaks down on the side of the road at night. I don't have any personal experience with LED flashlights myself.

A lot of the deputies I work with now carry various small flashlights from Surefire as they carry asp batons and Tasers for defensive weapons and the little mini lights fit their duty belts better with all the other crap they have to carry. They are LED and seem bright as heck when they walk into comm and blind us with them as a joke because we keep it so dark in here. But, they are way over your $50.00 budget, I'm afraid. The plus side is that they are rechargeable, and some of the newer models will last 40+ hrs on low power setting and 5+ hrs on a high power setting between charges so it won't be to long before the extra cost of the flashlight covers the cost of a cheaper light with batteries.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

1995hoo

If you want something really super-bright, try the Big Larry (see photo). It's compact enough to fit in your pocket, comes with a belt clip, and has a magnetic base. I sometimes use it during the winter while grilling.

Don't look directly at the light from one of these. It's painful.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mgk920

Flashlights are one place where technological advances have been amazing and totally below the radar.  Today's LEDs are light years better than the old incandescents, in light output, battery life, size and ruggedness.  Even those cheap keychain lights are, IMHO, better than the old general use incandescent ones.

Lay out for a decent LED flashlight and you will not be disappointed.

Mike

hbelkins

Your employer does not provide you with the tools necessary to do your job? At a minimum, I'd think they'd supply you with a flashlight, firearm, baton/billy club, and a cell phone or radio to use to report trouble.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

english si

Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2018, 01:31:48 PMa flashlight, baton/billy club
Use a 4-D Maglight and it counts as both.

When I visited the police station with School (or was it Cubs), they said they just use their torches as truncheons. Then again, I think they banned that as the extendable batons leave less obvious marks and have a longer reach.

roadman65

Do not listen to that  crap about it surviving a 50 foot fall. I dropped mine and it goes on dim some of the times I turn it on.  My drop was less than 3 feet!

Just like Apple I Phones when they tell you its virus proof!  All you need to do is go download a nude pic or vid and your phone becomes slow as non I Phones that do not have that "special" apple software that is supposed to be virus proof!  Not that I try it on a regular basis LOL!  But face it how many times at work or out with the guys do we pull up an interesting photo on our phone or two.
:D
Marketers have been known to lie throughout the ages :D
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2018, 01:31:48 PM
Your employer does not provide you with the tools necessary to do your job? At a minimum, I'd think they'd supply you with a flashlight, firearm, baton/billy club, and a cell phone or radio to use to report trouble.
Believe it or not, they didn't provide me a flashlight.

Nexus 5X

US 81

kkt

I've been happy with the 3 and 4 D cell Maglites with LED bulbs.  Bright, long lasting.  Get a D cell charger and a couple of sets of rechargables.  I keep one at home and one in the car.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.