News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

When does a business become a "chain"?

Started by cjk374, July 09, 2018, 08:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

With all of these topics coming up lately about defunct chains, bbq joints and other businesses, I started wondering:  When does a business become a chain? Do they need a certain number of establishments? How spread out to they need to be to become a "local" chain versus a "regional" chain? How many to become a national chain?  :hmmm:

Thoughts and suggestions?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ce929wax

I would define a chain as a minimum of 25 establishments and a regional chain as one that encompasses a general geographic region.  For instance, I consider Meijer to be a regional chain, but Wal-Mart to be a national chain.

corco

As opposed to going by physical geography, I look at population area. I consider a local chain to be any location with around three establishments within the nearest 250,000 people. A regional would be...yeah, probably more like 20 establishments within the nearest few million people.

National chains get dicey - like, Walmart is a national chain. But Yardhouse probably is too? Even though there's only 40 of them or so.  https://www.yardhouse.com/locations/all-locations

jeffandnicole

More than one location is a chain. The owner can't be at 2 places at once.

Regional: Within a few states.

National: Beyond that.

hbelkins

Multiple businesses with the same name and the same ownership or franchiser would constitute a chain, in my view.

Local, regional or national depends on the scope. Take Fat Patty's, for instance. Four locations (Ashland, the site of my 2013 meet lunch; Huntington; Barboursville and Teays Valley). One website covers all four locations. I'd call that a local chain.

Druther's was a regional chain, with its locations all over Kentucky and possibly some surrounding areas.

McDonalds is a national (international) chain.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

We have a small "regional' chain called Butcher Boy. Started in Russellville as CJ's, but now has 6-8 locations in Western & Central Arkansas.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

In_Correct

When does a chain become a chain? When it has two rings that link together?  That means that if there is more than one location, it is a chain.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

SP Cook

I agree, two outlets is a chain. 

As to local, regional and national, there is an old joke that New Yorkers consider any business that exists in NYC, even if it exists no where else, "national" and any thing else "regional". 

Anyway, I think it comes down to media.  If you can cover all your potential customers with one set of TV, radio, print, it is a local chain; if you have to buy multiple markets, it is regional; if you can get by with national (which is far less expensive per capita) then it is national.

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 09, 2018, 10:00:14 PM
More than one location is a chain. The owner can't be at 2 places at once.
Regional: Within a few states.
National: Beyond that.

I agree, except that a regional chain doesn't necessarily have to serve multiple states.
We should probably define "regional" first: Rochester is in the Northeast region of the country, and the Finger Lakes region of the state. Which takes priority?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.