News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

An Idea about truly owning a piece of the road

Started by HPfromTN, July 19, 2018, 03:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HPfromTN

My wife and I have a little hobby of finding old, forgotten pieces of former highway and bringing home small samples from these old routes.

We do not dig or rip apart these pieces.  They are already dislodged and resting in the remains of the bypassed route. 

For instance, we have pieces of Route 66, The Lincoln Highway, The Dixie Highway, The Dixie Beeline Highway, and The Yellowstone Trail.  We documented where we got these pieces by snapping photos of our hunting. 

In the case of Route 66, we have chips made out of asphalt, concrete, and brick.

My wife is a jewelry designer.  She has done some big-time work and sold her jewelry in large retail establishments.  She had been very busy the last few years doing specialty work for one large retailer, and she cannot make anything similar to that and sell it herself.

She has this idea of taking samples of these highways and making them into a pendant and then putting the pendant on a necklace, bracelet, or keychain. 

My question to the forum: Would a necklace, bracelet, or keychain where the buyer could "own a piece" of an important highway like Route 66, The Lincoln Highway, the Dixie, the Dixie Bee, or any other bypassed piece of highway appeal to a road fan?

If so, how big would the sample of road have to be to appeal to you?  What type of materials and price range would you be willing to pay if buying in a gift shop on said road--gold, sterling silver, gold-plate, vermeil, pewter, stainless steel, base metal?  Under $50 or would over $50 be okay if the quality warranted such?

We are thinking about approaching some Route 66 gift shops with some prototypes.

Scott5114

The inherent problem to this is that there is usually very little distinguishing a piece of pavement from US-66 from one dislodged from US-81, other than the say-so of the person who sourced it. OkDOT was handing out chunks of I-40 Crosstown concrete at an event they had just before its demolition, but if I had another chunk of concrete of similar size I would be unable to distinguish them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.