News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

When one state has to clean up another state's mess

Started by hbelkins, July 26, 2018, 03:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MantyMadTown

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 17, 2018, 06:49:42 PM
How about Wisconsin designating I-41 and I-43, because Illinois/IDOT did not want to play nice, designating any of I-55, I-57, and/or I-65 North of their current ends in or near Chicago

I don't know if that is cleaning up a mess or creating one...

I don't think it matters all that much that Illinois did not want to extend the designations north to Wisconsin, since we eventually got the interstates built anyway and we found new numbers to use instead. I think it worked out well in the end.
Forget the I-41 haters

paulthemapguy

Quote from: MantyMadTown on October 18, 2018, 02:24:46 AM
How about Wisconsin designating I-41 and I-43, because Illinois/IDOT did not want to play nice, designating any of I-55, I-57, and/or I-65 North of their current ends in or near Chicago

I don't think it matters all that much that Illinois did not want to extend the designations north to Wisconsin, since we eventually got the interstates built anyway and we found new numbers to use instead. I think it worked out well in the end.

If IL extended I-55 or 57 north to Wisconsin, I-39 wouldn't have such a bizarrely low number.  I always thought US51 should be the US highway carrying an interstate designation with the same number, not US41.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

vdeane

Plus we wouldn't have a useless overlap with between I-41 and I-94.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Chris19001

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 27, 2018, 10:16:18 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 26, 2018, 03:13:45 PM
Best example I can think of is Pennsylvania having to connect I-95 to the PA Turnpike because New Jersey didn't built its portion of I-95.

NJ's had to clean up PA's mess on other occasions, such as when I-76 (then known as I-80S) in NJ went thru Camden and across the Ben Franklin Bridge.  Because PA didn't get their portion of I-76 thru the city constructed, NJ changed their route designation to take I-76 across the Walt Whitman and connected it with what PennDOT did build.  (Eventually the old I-76 became I-676)

Quote from: Beltway on July 27, 2018, 12:24:38 AM
How about Delaware and New Jersey having to build the Northeast Corridor freeway bypass of Philadelphia and Pennsylvania in the first place?  New Jersey Turnpike and Delaware Memorial Bridge.

No other state and major metro area got this kind of a benefit.

The NJ Turnpike and Delaware Memorial Bridge (US 40) were built before there was even an interstate system to speak of.  NJ was basically relieving the traffic off of US 1 in NJ.  It wasn't really intended to bypass Philly.

I-295 in Delaware simply connected US 40 with their portion of I-95.

Now US202 on the other hand...  PA really dropped the ball with section 900 not being done to connect New Hope and Doylestown.  NJ has a freeway going over a toll bridge and having to loop back to a congested 2 lane road because PA never had the appetite for the Piedmont Expressway.  That would have formed a nice bypass for traffic away from the I-95 and I-78 corridors which today would likely have been upgraded further by NJ.  (Also assuming section 700 of 202 also was completed with a freeway connection to PA-309)

tribar

How is I-65 IDOT's problem?

MantyMadTown

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 18, 2018, 09:13:47 AM

If IL extended I-55 or 57 north to Wisconsin, I-39 wouldn't have such a bizarrely low number.  I always thought US51 should be the US highway carrying an interstate designation with the same number, not US41.

The interstate grid is already messed up by I-35 anyway. There isn't really much room to avoid weird designations unless we renumber the entire grid in the central tier of states.
Forget the I-41 haters

kphoger

Quote from: tribar on October 18, 2018, 01:16:22 PM

* crickets *
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MantyMadTown

I-65 ends in Indiana. I don't see how Illinois would be involved with I-65.
Forget the I-41 haters

hbelkins

Quote from: MantyMadTown on October 18, 2018, 04:58:57 PM

The interstate grid is already messed up by I-35 anyway. There isn't really much room to avoid weird designations unless we renumber the entire grid in the central tier of states.

In what way? What other major N-S corridor west of there would you put 35 on so as to give it a different x5 number?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: hbelkins on October 19, 2018, 04:07:05 PM

In what way? What other major N-S corridor west of there would you put 35 on so as to give it a different x5 number?

It's the fact that I-35 pushes so far east when you go north from Wichita. You also have I-45 and I-49 in the South that are west of I-39, I-41, and I-43 in the Midwest.
Forget the I-41 haters

ilpt4u

Quote from: MantyMadTown on October 19, 2018, 03:52:30 PM

I-65 ends in Indiana. I don't see how Illinois would be involved with I-65.
IDOT is not at present.

But if IDOT was not willing to extend I-55 or I-57 to Wisconsin, I have a good feeling they certainly would not want to extend I-65 thru Chicagoland in IL to Wisconsin. InDOT would also had to be in on it, but pushing it a few more miles over the Indiana Toll Road would not be a huge signage undertaking

Hence, we end up with I-41 and I-43, when the Northern Termini of I-55, I-57, and I-65 are not far removed from the WI border

sparker

Quote from: MantyMadTown on October 19, 2018, 04:28:19 PM

It's the fact that I-35 pushes so far east when you go north from Wichita. You also have I-45 and I-49 in the South that are west of I-39, I-41, and I-43 in the Midwest.

Theoretically, I-35 could have simply replaced I-29, with the portion of I-35 north of KC becoming I-45 -- if Houston interests had not lobbied to be on a I-x5 back circa 1956-57; the current I-45 could have easily been I-39.  That would have made the overall Midwest grid considerably more workable.  The problem was that during the publicity push regarding the system back in the mid-'50's the concept of routes ending in "0" or "5" being singled out -- and "oversold" -- as primary numbers in relation to the other trunk routes resulted in cities competing for -- and subsequently complaining about -- places directly on those "primary" routes.  This led to such configurations as I-80S serving Philadelphia and I-80N doing likewise for Portland, OR (both have obviously been "corrected" since).  That ad hoc dual-ranking system contributed to a sizeable number of grid issues that were only partially resolved by the late-70's push to eliminate suffixed numbers. 

MantyMadTown

Quote from: sparker on October 19, 2018, 06:16:42 PM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on October 19, 2018, 04:28:19 PM

Theoretically, I-35 could have simply replaced I-29, with the portion of I-35 north of KC becoming I-45 -- if Houston interests had not lobbied to be on a I-x5 back circa 1956-57; the current I-45 could have easily been I-39.  That would have made the overall Midwest grid considerably more workable.  The problem was that during the publicity push regarding the system back in the mid-'50's the concept of routes ending in "0" or "5" being singled out -- and "oversold" -- as primary numbers in relation to the other trunk routes resulted in cities competing for -- and subsequently complaining about -- places directly on those "primary" routes.  This led to such configurations as I-80S serving Philadelphia and I-80N doing likewise for Portland, OR (both have obviously been "corrected" since).  That ad hoc dual-ranking system contributed to a sizeable number of grid issues that were only partially resolved by the late-70's push to eliminate suffixed numbers.

I wonder if we can fix the grid numbering system now?
Forget the I-41 haters

sparker

^^^^^^^^
Unless the entire network in the Midwest is comprehensively reworked, designation-wise, all that can be done is to muddle through with numbers that are decidedly not "grid-perfect" (like I-47 or I-51 for the AOS) but "sort of" fit into the general pattern.  Just remember that we roadgeeks tend to be a bit more anal about such things than the average traveler. 

Forget it, Jake....it's just Wisconsin!  (apologies to screenwriter Robert Towne)

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GaryV

MantyMadTown

Quote from: GaryV on October 20, 2018, 07:39:00 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2018, 04:28:57 PM
I-41 should have been a 3di anyway.

I-41 should have been US-41 anyway.

No and no. I-41 is fine the way it is, as a 2di.
Forget the I-41 haters

vdeane

Quote from: MantyMadTown on October 21, 2018, 04:22:19 PM
It ends in an overlap with I-94.  That is by definition not fine.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: vdeane on October 21, 2018, 06:20:46 PM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on October 21, 2018, 04:22:19 PM
It ends in an overlap with I-94.  That is by definition not fine.

Then it can be shortened. It was planned to end where US 41 splits off from I-94 in Illinois, and I'm perfectly fine with that, but if you have a problem with it then I would suggest ending it where it merges at the I-43/I-894 interchange and eliminating I-894. I wasn't trying to argue over where it should end, however. I still think I-41 should at least exist between Milwaukee and Green Bay.
Forget the I-41 haters

MikieTimT

Quote from: CapeCodder on October 17, 2018, 04:51:15 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on September 28, 2018, 09:10:56 AM
I noticed that McDonald County's population hasn't exploded like the Arkansas counties have. Is that merely a function of the poor transportation system, or are there real economic advantages to living in Arkansas vs. Missouri?

McDonald County was pretty depressed last I saw (about nine years ago, don't hold me to it) Terrain can be a factor. There's also a few canoe streams of significance for the area in and around Noel. I've seen jaw dropping poverty near there (makes you want to just question everything; including your own issues.) Oklahoma is right next door as is Arkansas, so people want to head there.

Terrain is assuredly a factor, plus McDonald County for the most part is pretty much just canoe floating enterprises until you get north of Pineville.  Wal-Mart has put a remote data center up there at Jane, which pretty much has grown into Bella Vista at this point.  The Bella Vista Bypass will ultimately likely head straight south once another 2 lanes of I-49 get added on and saturated in the metropolitan area of NWA.  The current 6 laning projects should be wrapped up in 2020, right about the time another 2 lanes will be needed given the current growth rate of the area.  There was a study back in 2011 about the feasibility for a Western Beltway to bypass the development along I-49, and it pretty much connects up to the Bella Vista Bypass where it bends back east.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Chris19001 on October 18, 2018, 12:52:05 PMNow US202 on the other hand...  PA really dropped the ball with section 900 not being done to connect New Hope and Doylestown.  NJ has a freeway going over a toll bridge and having to loop back to a congested 2 lane road because PA never had the appetite for the Piedmont Expressway.
NIMBYs along that corridor was what killed that expressway.  As a matter of fact, the very reason why the US 202 Parkway between Doylestown & Montgomeryville came to be rather than the originally-planned expressway, was due to then-Gov. Rendell siding with the NIMBYs that resided north of that corridor.  Those that lived along the corridor actually wanted the expressway.  The northern NIMBYs' fear was that if that the existing Doylestown Bypass was extended to the south as an expressway; an northern extension would've been more inevitable.

Quote from: Chris19001 on October 18, 2018, 12:52:05 PMThat would have formed a nice bypass for traffic away from the I-95 and I-78 corridors which today would likely have been upgraded further by NJ.  (Also assuming section 700 of 202 also was completed with a freeway connection to PA-309)
Had the 202 corridor in PA been an all-expressway corridor; it would've acted as an outer bypass for the Greater Philadelphia area similar to I-287 with respect to the Metropolitan NYC area  and I-495 with respect to the Greater Boston area.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beltway

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 25, 2018, 09:33:05 AM
Had the 202 corridor in PA been an all-expressway corridor; it would've acted as an outer bypass for the Greater Philadelphia area similar to I-287 with respect to the Metropolitan NYC area  and I-495 with respect to the Greater Boston area.

New Jersey would have had to build a freeway US-202 between the New Hope bridge and I-287, in order for that to happen.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ipeters61

Quote from: Beltway on October 25, 2018, 12:48:50 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 25, 2018, 09:33:05 AM

New Jersey would have had to build a freeway US-202 between the New Hope bridge and I-287, in order for that to happen.
At least US-202 in New Jersey (up to I-287, never been north of there on 202) flows a lot better than US-202 in Pennsylvania, in my experience.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Beltway

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 25, 2018, 12:57:16 PM
At least US-202 in New Jersey (up to I-287, never been north of there on 202) flows a lot better than US-202 in Pennsylvania, in my experience.

It is a 4-lane divided highway with at least some access management.

The portions in question in PA have 2 lanes and no access management.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ipeters61

Quote from: Beltway on October 25, 2018, 01:40:37 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on October 25, 2018, 12:57:16 PM

It is a 4-lane divided highway with at least some access management.

The portions in question in PA have 2 lanes and no access management.
I'm well aware, driven both roads plenty of times and US-202 in PA is absolutely infuriating to drive (I did Norristown-Doylestown every day for a month).  A 40 MPH speed limit is not suited for through traffic (especially when the lights are timed to reduce the flow of traffic).
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.