News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Does your state sign mileposts on non-freeways/Interstates?

Started by freebrickproductions, September 06, 2018, 04:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 19, 2018, 09:16:25 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on September 17, 2018, 04:53:45 AMIL 2-lane roads are mileposted in a way similar to freeways, but reset at the county line.

No they aren't???

Yes, they are, though the system is (AFAIK) far from universal.  The milepost "paddle" is in the Illinois SHS supplement.  The basic design is green circle with green horizontal crossbar on a white square, with the county name on the crossbar in white and the mileage (to tenths) in black in the bottom part of the circle.  I recall roads like SR 29 and SR 26 north of Peoria and SR 3 in East St. Louis having markers like this, but not US 24 between Indiana and I-55.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Beeper1

Rhode Island has mileposts on I-295 and RI-146 and RI-99 (I think RI-4 as well).  Some of I-95 is mileposted, but it is largely spotty. 

US-6 is mileposted only on the freeway segment (with the zero milepost at the I-295 junction, so it dos not count most of the route).  The mileposts then reset at the RI-10 junction, with the 6/10 overlap having its own mileposts with zero at the Olneyville merge and ending at the I-95 interchange downtown.  These are also separate from another set of mileposts on the independent section of RI-10.     

None of the secondary roads are mileposted.

jp the roadgeek

From GSV, I-95 in RI looks pretty well mileposted with 2/10 mi posts.  And despite having some ancient signage, RI 78 is well mileposted, with Mile 0 being in the center of the Pawcatuck River bridge at the CT line.  Looks like RI 403 is also done, as is the portion of RI 10 south of US 6. I-195 has whole mile MUTCD posts only, and RI 24 has mileposts that are about 4 miles off from the actual length of the built portion. RI 37, the TF Green Connector, and the Jamestown portion of RI 138 between US 1 and the Newport Bridge, have no posts at all.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadfro

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 18, 2018, 11:09:30 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 18, 2018, 01:12:48 PM
Why does California call them "postmiles" and not "mileposts?" I have never seen a logical definitive answer for this.

I think it's to avoid confusing the black-on-white postmiles with the MUTCD-standard white-on-green mileposts used by the rest of the country.

Meanwhile in Nevada, which uses the same basic system as California, the black-on-white version is referred to as a "milepost" and the white-on-green version (used on Interstates only) is referred to as a "(enhanced) reference panel" in official documents. (Curiously, the green version is referred to as a "post mile" on NDOT's webpage explaining mileposts...)

Note that the MUTCD calls the green version "(enhanced) reference location signs", with the term "milepost" not appearing in the document.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

TheOneKEA

Maryland generally doesn't install mileposts for non-divided state highways. One of the few routes that does have mileposts is MD 23 between MD 165 and US 1. Another one is US 220 between I-68 and the Mason-Dixon Line.

DJ Particle

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 17, 2018, 10:06:45 AM
Where is/was this old South Shore Tunnel that you speak of?

It's what traffic reporters used to call the original central artery tunnel (which was I-93 between I-90 and Atlantic St.) because it was considered the "gateway" to the South Shore.  Parts of that tunnel were used for the underground ROW of the southbound lanes of the current artery tunnel.

Edit:  South STATION Tunnel...dear zapfish, I feel dumb now...

PHLBOS

Quote from: DJ Particle on September 25, 2018, 07:54:58 AMIt's what traffic reporters used to call the original central artery tunnel (which was I-93 between I-90 and Atlantic St.) because it was considered the "gateway" to the South Shore.  Parts of that tunnel were used for the underground ROW of the southbound lanes of the current artery tunnel.

Edit:  South STATION Tunnel...dear zapfish, I feel dumb now...
I had a hunch that you were referring to the old South Station Tunnel (originally referred to as the Dewey Square Tunnel) but wasn't 100% sure.

Truth be told & IMHO, the "Gateway" to the South Shore was actually at the location of the Mass Ave. interchange (especially in its original pre-Big Dig configuration).  This was where I-95 was originally planned to leave the Fitzgerald Expressway via a portion of the Inner Belt plus the Southwest Expressway.  Contrary to popular belief, this is the actual location of the northern terminus of the Southeast Expressway.  The portion of the Fitzgerald Expressway viaduct between Mass Ave. & the South Station Tunnel was called the Pulaski Skyway.  Small white signs bearing the Pulaski Skyway name were along the median.  Needless to say, that name never fully caught on.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: Ian on September 12, 2018, 05:41:13 PM
The only non-freeway road I know of in Maine that uses mile markers is the segment of ME 9 east of the Bangor/Brewer area out toward Calais. There isn't much along that portion, plus it's relatively well traveled, so it makes sense as to why MaineDOT chose to post them there.

I have noticed that, and I wish MaineDOT would use mile markers on some other state or US routes, especially US 1.

thenetwork

COLORADO:  Nearly all state & US highways (excluding some urban areas) use the standard white-on-green mile markers. 

Many of the primary county highways in Western Colorado use some sort of mile marker and there are county roads where the home and business addresses are based on the mile markers.

(i.e.:  If an address was 17200 CR 417, the address would be located between MM 17 and 18, or 17.2 miles into CR 417.)

epzik8

In Harford County, Maryland, the U.S. 1 Bel Air/Hickory Bypass has mile markers based on the distance from the Baltimore County line. Maryland Route 23 also has them between U.S. 1 and MD-165.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.